The online racing simulator
Sound Improvements/Ideas Log
(119 posts, started )
Quote from Shotglass :btw i will come back to you with a post about distortion in the ear when i find the time just in case you forgot ... if dave doesnt mind we could continue round here

Oh no I didn't forget at all

I also have half a mind to dig up that aero discussion that SamH locked on us. In fact, I would if I did not suffer from amotivational syndrome.

Quote :what i mean is not using one single sample for the entire time lfs is running but using a noise generator the output of which gets filtered to create the pulse "sample"
with the engine pulse sample essentially being noisy this might or might not add some depth to the engine sounds (either way it should be more realistic as no firing of the engine sounds exactly the same irl like it does in lfs)

This is a great idea, however I have reservations about it's efficacy. I say that because I remember reading that the pulse sample makes little to no difference to the actual outcome. The theory is sound though; I would imagine the pulses would vary alot even under congruent conditions - let alone diverse conditions. Would be interesting to try.
dave: nice idea, but not really there yet. keep it coming

I think a fairly simple and cpu-friendy way to make the engine sound better would be having two layered "channels" instead of one.

The other could be the exhaust simulation as it is currently.

The higher frequencies could be produced with noise generator and / or sample, that could be filtered according to different engines / intake systems.

This way the engine pulse sample itselft wouldn't have to change during game, but we would still have more harmonics.

I believe making engine volume relative to revs would also be very simple. Just use some pre-set or adjustable curve for amplitude vs. rpm. Saturating the engine sound after some point in the rpm-curve could be the answer to more "scream".
Quote from lalathegreat :Too loud at low RPMS
then i noticed the car is actually too loud for the rpms its actually at in the lower range. if u listen to a real car drive by the engine is hardly audible(in the cruising RPM range) so is the exhaust(this is from the external view) the tires actually make more noise.

Loud IDLE
i noticed the idle is ridiculously loud i parked the XRT at the 50M marker at blackwood straight and i could still hear the car from 250M marker. also did the test at the start line on blackwood and i could hear the car at the pit entrance lane cones.

Power vs loudness
was curious to see if power played a role in how much noise the car produced so i lined a XRt up on the BLack wood straight took off did a replay and listened from the same spot the car left and noted when i could not hear the car anymore. i redid the test with the hatch and in terms of loudness they were pretty much the same. sound cut out at the same points. went back to an old lfs ver and tried the same test with a 7.5liter V8 (500Hp) same thing.

Attenuation
LFS dosent do this. basically as a sound source gets further away the higher frequencies of that sound are absorbed by air and don't travel as far as the lower frequencies. so stuff like gear wine should not be audible after a certain distance. another example of this is a helicopter u can hear the sound the blades make from further distances than you can hear the high pitched noised from the jet engine.

3D Sound
would be nice
back Fires
would rather see this run off of some simulation rather than down shift and hearing a pop. rather have the sound and the size of the backfire dynamic. (love the sound of 4 or 5 cars going into a corner and all that random popping )
---
I don't think LFS sound is actually going to get better without hardware acceleration. i would suggest scawen look at OpenAL and EAX5 as 3d sound and attenuation are easier to implement using them. i can't really comment of all the benefits in terms of sound quality in using those because the documention for EAX5 is under NDA. You have to register with creative as a developer.

For the first two tests, this is already simulated to a certain extent in LFS. The cars tend to have a quiet idle volume unless you boost the "idle volume boost" tab.

In your 3rd test, what Bob said was correct, it has nothing to do with the volume of the car, LFS only plays the sound up to a certain distance away (which is not really a good thing imo).

For the rest of your points, yes, good ideas. I think backfiring wouldn't be too much trouble, it would be similar to the popping sound you get with engine damage / TC.

Quote from anttt69 :Patch improvements were a huge step in the right direction thanks Davews
my suggestions:

When you crash into something it should sound like a skid, crunch & bang. Like a real accident. Not like a biscuit tin sliding across a car park.

Those horrible tin ey tapping nioses when you rub bumpers or doorhandles have got to go. Totally unrealistic imo.

So big crunch, wallop, bang sounds, curb rumbles, & race track atmosphere sounds (cars blasting down a straight in distance, cars roaring past the pits & gravel sound when you slide off into the kitty litter) even a pnumatic air gun (when pitting) sound might be an idea.

example of crash sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_6AyjDIqZA
just try to ignore limpbizkit & listen to all those 5's skiding & crashing
the cheers from the spectators says it all.

Yep, these too need work. But we need these re-recorded, and not just taken from videos, in order for better results. Skid sounds too.

Quote from Shotglass :what i mean is not using one single sample for the entire time lfs is running but using a noise generator the output of which gets filtered to create the pulse "sample"
with the engine pulse sample essentially being noisy this might or might not add some depth to the engine sounds (either way it should be more realistic as no firing of the engine sounds exactly the same irl like it does in lfs)

I don't mind you chatting about other stuff if it's still basically on topic.

I now understand what you're saying. IMO, it's a great idea. Could be very interesting. Unfortunately I can't "preview" how it would sound though. One interesting thing you would probably like to hear, when I made the sample for the RAC from white noise, first I put it through a specifically set band pass filter to get a reasonable tone in LFS, then I tried cutting an adequate length piece of sound to use as a sample. Now the interesting bit is the although the clip of (now filtered) white noise I took samples from was basically the same noise throughout, each sample I took from it sounded different each time in LFS. So your idea could give some interesting results.
Quote from DaveWS :when I made the sample for the RAC from white noise, first I put it through a specifically set band pass filter to get a reasonable tone in LFS

Have you tried to use a pink noise instead of a white noise ?
I feel you may get more body overall and also, maybe, you'll get rid of this synthetic thingy at high revs.

Just an idea
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I say that because I remember reading that the pulse sample makes little to no difference to the actual outcome.

i know i eventually gave up on trying to toy around with the sound engine after i figured that it more or less sounds the same regardless of the pulse sample
no idea what causes it but its definately a "problem"
Quote from Shotglass :i know i eventually gave up on trying to toy around with the sound engine after i figured that it more or less sounds the same regardless of the pulse sample
no idea what causes it but its definately a "problem"

If you read this:

Quote from DaveWS :Now the interesting bit is the although the clip of (now filtered) white noise I took samples from was basically the same noise throughout, each sample I took from it sounded different each time in LFS.

The shape of the first few "waves" in the sample really determine how the engine will sound in LFS. So if you have a Edit: 0.08 seconds long sample, and you delete the first 0.005 seconds of it, the engine tone in LFS changes noticeably.

Another thing worth noting, is if you have a sample with a constant volume (so when you loop it you just get noise), it sounds the same as if you slope the volume to 0 in the sample (giving a popping noise when looped) in LFS.

@Lotesdelere: By using white noise, I can essentially change it to whatever "flavour" / type of noise I want. Strangely though, if you use a sample with a very broad frequency range, LFS doesn't like it at all, and you get constant clipping. This is why I played around with different bandpass filters to get the best range.
Quote from DaveWS :The shape of the first few "waves" in the sample really determine how the engine will sound in LFS. So if you have a 0.8 seconds long sample, and you delete the first 0.05 seconds of it, the engine tone in LFS changes noticeably.

hm i might want to toy around some more and see what i find

Quote :Another thing worth noting, is if you have a sample with a constant volume (so when you loop it you just get noise), it sounds the same as if you slope the volume to 0 in the sample (giving a popping noise when looped) in LFS.

im not exactly sure if i get your point there

Quote :@Lotesdelere: By using white noise, I can essentially change it to whatever "flavour" / type of noise I want. Strangely though, if you use a sample with a very broad frequency range, LFS doesn't like it at all, and you get constant clipping. This is why I played around with different bandpass filters to get the best range.

btw concerning white noise
keep in mind that the whiteness of the nosie doesnt determine the volume density so theres one more degree of freedom to play around with
in my tests with pure white noise i only got serious clipping issues with uniform white noise ... gaussion worked rather well
hi dave and others, after readign this post i've tried to modify the files, and i'm came up with this after messing all the day.
they sound much similiar to the original ones, but are more lively and growly without being harsh or stressing. Another difference is that the inside and outside sound of the car now is more different and loud when in external view.
try the lx6 and 4 too, with closed roof too
these are not all cars, tried some of the ones i use most.
Attached files
enginexsxdavews.rar - 1.1 MB - 208 views
Quote from Shotglass :im not exactly sure if i get your point there

I think it's just the same point: that it's only the first fraction of a second that seems to matter.
Quote from XsX! :hi dave and others, after readign this post i've tried to modify the files, and i'm came up with this after messing all the day.
they sound much similiar to the original ones, but are more lively and growly without being harsh or stressing. Another difference is that the inside and outside sound of the car now is more different and loud when in external view.
try the lx6 and 4 too, with closed roof too
these are not all cars, tried some of the ones i use most.

Sound nice and rough, but too much clipping, and imo the power off volume is too low, try adjusting the volumes a little.

Quote from Shotglass :im not exactly sure if i get your point there

btw concerning white noise
keep in mind that the whiteness of the nosie doesnt determine the volume density so theres one more degree of freedom to play around with
in my tests with pure white noise i only got serious clipping issues with uniform white noise ... gaussion worked rather well

Look at the attachments. The first file is pure white noise cut to a pulse length. The 2nd one, is that white noise ran through a bandpass filter. The 3rd one is the same as the 2nd one except for the volume of the pulse goes from max at 0 seconds to 0 at the end. The last one has been through the same procedures as the 3rd one, but cut from a different place in the white noise I have. In theory, the 2nd and 3rd ones should sound different, and they sound the same. The 4th one should sound like the 3rd, and its completely different.
Attached files
test pulses.zip - 28.2 KB - 237 views
hm so how long exactly should the samples be ?
I'm not entirely sure but 0.1 seconds is too long and 0.08 is ok. Just edited the post where I said 0.8 seconds
as I understand sample is very short single pulse tone - i havent played with sound engine but - the pulse is singular blast so... have you tried clipped samples (in some frequencies)? just an idea
Quote from AndRand :as I understand sample is very short single pulse tone - i havent played with sound engine but - the pulse is singular blast so... have you tried clipped samples (in some frequencies)? just an idea

I have tried hundreds of methods of getting a sample, and taking one from white noise and running through different filters etc gives the best sounds in LFS. If by clipped you mean distortion, I've also tried that, and LFS cannot cope without rediculous in game clipping.

P.S. Any idea is always a good idea though.
Now that I'm forced to use patch X, I have paid more attention to the sound (notice, not the sounds).

I think the left to right short delay used to create the pseudo stereo when using the cockpit view is creating phasis problems to the whole sound thus makes other sounds hard to heard (skids, horns, cars brushing a wall, etc...).
In chase view the engine sound is centered and everything sounds much more clear.

Phasis problems create holes in the stereo image and are also destroying basses and trebles, which is exactly what we have now in cockpit view: no real center, lack of 'body', strange high frequencies. If you still have a version < U31 just compare and you'll see (hear) what I mean.
Still, I'm not talking about a specific sound but about the whole global sound.

I'm not sure we can solve that with the Shift+A settings as it seems to be hardcoded.

Sound Improvements/Ideas Log
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG