The online racing simulator
Patch X AI Can't Qualify
(64 posts, started )
Just thought I'd chuck in that I'm on an AI course at sussex university, just finished my second year.

Apparently its supposed to be one of the best universities in Europe, I have experience in evolutionary algorithms, neural net programming, and a mish mash of experimental garbage in between! I also spend any time not working on my degree focused on one type of motorsport or another, so my understanding of racing is very close to heart.

Just thought if there was anything I could do to help, I would be happy to stick a few hours in to help, plus I can ask my lecturers and post grad friends for assistance if required also - one of which just evolved a circuit that classifys electrical signals on the basis of frequency without using an internal clock of any description... it took a months worth of work just to work out how it was managing to do this!

I'm not holding my breath, I'm sure you are plenty capable on all accounts, but, just in case there's something I could possibly help with... well this is the best Racing Simulator on the marget!

Thanks again for patch X - I'm sure you've heard enough of that though!
i got one question about the AI : why when i am adding some AI's FPS gets very low, i know they are using lots of procesor resources , but i was playng other racing games with AI's there i can add more AI's than in LFS and FPS did not get low at all. Will u fix that scawen?

my procesor is amd sempron 1.75 gh +2500
Thanks very much Scawen, racing against bots is not bad for some practise
Quote from Scawen :Just so you know, AI is next on my list, they haven't been updated in any significant way since S1 and there are a lot of people who do want to use the AI for some offline racing, so the time has come...

Yipee, I just want them so in a BF1 they don't go nuts at 180mph...
Quote from Scawen :Just so you know, AI is next on my list, they haven't been updated in any significant way since S1 and there are a lot of people who do want to use the AI for some offline racing, so the time has come...

Fantastic news!!

I confess I've barely touched LFS in the past 2 or 3 years. To my own surprise, I found that I wasn't getting that much satisfaction out of on-line racing and lost interest, other than occassionally downloading major new patches to see how things were progressing, hear the new car sounds, etc.

I saw the latest patch X permitted 20 AI cars and my first thought was "what's the point, when the AI hasn't been improved years?", so didn't even bother downloading it.

So knowing that the off-line experience is now being worked on is great news.

As well as the main task of making the AI good to race against, can I also suggest that there will be a need to create championship seasons in which to compete with the AI, preferrably fully customisable (ie. we can pick which tracks comprise the season and in which order they are raced, how many laps to be raced at each track, qualification rules, whether or not pit-stops are compulsory, which cars the AI can compete in, points accumulation, etc.

It may sound a bit crude but it would also be great if we could actually customise the individual AI drivers to some degree by giving us access to key personality attributes of each AI driver which we can manually change...things such as aggressiveness, error proneness, ability to handle pressure, etc.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Best post ever!
#32 - Gunn
Quote from mxpxun :i got one question about the AI : why when i am adding some AI's FPS gets very low, i know they are using lots of procesor resources , but i was playng other racing games with AI's there i can add more AI's than in LFS and FPS did not get low at all. Will u fix that scawen?

my procesor is amd sempron 1.75 gh +2500

The "other racing games" don't use as much CPU resources because they aren't calculating the type of real world physics that LFS does. In fact most "other racing games" have AI that float around the track and don't behave similarly to the player car. What you need is a faster CPU, I hate to say.
ohh , than i need to save some money for the faster CPU :bounce8:
Also it would be useful to make AI's a bit faster or add new ones above "Pro's". Current ones can't even get 1:24-5 in blackwood
Quote from Moonchild LT :Also it would be useful to make AI's a bit faster or add new ones above "Pro's". Current ones can't even get 1:24-5 in blackwood

Well inf they did that in the XFR I'd be asking for them to be made slower....what car are you talking about?
I notice the AI, seem to tankslap around alot, especially underbraking... they weave asif they are out of control... its quite off putting! LOL
Quote from al heeley :Well inf they did that in the XFR I'd be asking for them to be made slower....what car are you talking about?

Ehm.. I think I am talking about XRT

The third DEMO car - Turbo.

I find AI's very useful to practice overtaking on. Because there's no time for mistakes when you're overtaking newbies online. And often they're driving on the wrong line so there's a big chance that an accident could happen.

Anyway, there should me more options than only OK , QUICK and PRO. 'cause the PRO's are fricking slow.

Also it would be lovely to have on the single race an option something like ''Min 1 Pit stop is necessary'' - So you could make 50 lap race like in other GTR sims. And that's impossible to do right now, cause they can't even drive through the pits

AI's should be able to make 1:23 or 1:24 (depending on level)time with XRT on Blackwood(if that's the right name) So you won't be overtaking them by 10 laps.

Ehm... having classes - or the cars divided into Classes would be useful as well. XRR , fz 50 and the other 4x4 into one class, slower ones into another. And have an option to add random cars from those classes and then make a long race - eg 50 laps. It would be fun, like in good old days :-)
Until Scawen fixes/improves the AI, try racing the XRT ai cars in an XRG, you may want to race them on quick instead of pro to get them closer matched. That will give you a lot more of a challenge
Quote from al heeley :Until Scawen fixes/improves the AI, try racing the XRT ai cars in an XRR, you may want to race them on quick instead of pro to get them closer matched. That will give you a lot more of a challenge

How will racing against XR GT Turbos(xrt) with a XR GTR(xrr) will be harder?
ehm? I'm lost a bit

By the way.

Ai's in xrt - not sure about other cars allways get f---ed up in the first turn.

6 cars out of 14. :o Also what the heck is meant by 'ai is stoping for repair'
He apparently meant XRG.

The second DEMO car - GT.
Quote from zeugnimod :He apparently meant XRG.

The second DEMO car - GT.

All right - I kinda hate it and it is slow. I'm aiming to do good times with XRT so... it's a bit pointless to be driving a totally different car.
If you graduate to S2 there are servers racing all groups of cars, some great racing can be had in the slower cars so learn to drive them all well and fast, don't just stick to the XRT. In fact, if you get a good laptime in the XRG, you will have to be a lot cleaner on your racing lines and it will help you to get much better laptimes in the XRT.
Quote from al heeley :If you graduate to S2 there are servers racing all groups of cars, some great racing can be had in the slower cars so learn to drive them all well and fast, don't just stick to the XRT. In fact, if you get a good laptime in the XRG, you will have to be a lot cleaner on your racing lines and it will help you to get much better laptimes in the XRT.

If ya wanna be good on a guitar, you don't start playing a violin

Well the point is to enjoy playing lfs - and there's no joy driving a car that hardly moves it ass from start line.
If you have a knowledge of music from playing the piano, then getting to grips with a different instrument can be a lot easier.
Quote :Also what the heck is meant by 'ai is stoping for repair'?

That's when they stop to repair themselves after bashing into eachother/a wall/anything else hard.

Great news!!
Quote from al heeley :If you have a knowledge of music from playing the piano, then getting to grips with a different instrument can be a lot easier.
You can have the same knowledge of music by playing the guitar.
That's when they stop to repair themselves after bashing into eachother/a wall/anything else hard.

ehm.. How do they do it? Megicly? Without going to pits? :S
You can learn all the same stuff on any instrument you want so there's no point to start playing something that you're not after.
Most famous virtuosos haven't even played piano and started straight away from the guitar.
No, they just stop on the track where they are, then all the bodywork dents pop out and they race off again after a few seconds. it's kind of magical.
Quote from al heeley :No, they just stop on the track where they are, then all the bodywork dents pop out and they race off again after a few seconds. it's kind of magical.

All right - so it kinda simulates the reality i wish cars were able to do that in real life :]

So I'll be looking after new patch where probably the guy from developers will update the AI's!
Basically it's the AI hitting the 'reset' button.
Quote from Moonchild LT :and there's no joy driving a car that hardly moves it ass from start line.

I can see another BF1/KY1 driver when he gets S2.

Patch X AI Can't Qualify
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG