The online racing simulator
#26 - Woz
Quote from RiginalSin :That said, we are racing a single make, tintops series... All cars are equal... Therefore we are going to see some bumping, nudging and a few slaps here and there. And all who race in this league are aware of it, all have been involved with it... Its probably the closest thing we have in LFS to reflect out local racing that being v8supercars.
Surely you Woz, obviously being so worldly, would be aware of the v8supercar series... lol...

Trist beat me to this. Yes I watch the V8s (Best series I think)

In the series I have seen pit crews remove rear windscreen on cars that have lost the front one. Crews get big lumps of metal out to bend the bodywork back into shape etc etc etc. All of which have caused LONG pitstops.

What we are saying is that once damage is well implemented then fine, let the driver decide if it should be fixed.

BUT at the moment it is possible to cave in the front of the car or mash the sides so they intersect with the wheels etc and there is NO penality as long as the suspension did not take a hit. Both of these would end your race or cause a long pit while its fixed.

So having to stop for a few seconds longer because you have mashed your car is no big deal. Its a good enough penalty for now until we have a damage model that will be a far far harsher penality than a few extra seconds pit stop.

Quote from RiginalSin :I'd love to find someone who will run a setup that is obviously slower per lap just to avoid a little wear and tear on the race car in order to make their pit stop quicker...

That would be me then. I run slower when needed to keep tyres etc. I run a 40 lap race once with a 1 stop when people were pushing far faster and having to make 3 stops. That is what racing is about.

Hotlaps are about the fastest lap racing is about the fastest time to COMPLETE the race. They are two VERY different things.

Do you believe the V8 drivers think about lap times more than completing the race at Bathurst. If so you have a lot to learn
Quote from Woz :Trist beat me to this. Yes I watch the V8s (Best series I think)

In the series I have seen pit crews remove rear windscreen on cars that have lost the front one. Crews get big lumps of metal out to bend the bodywork back into shape etc etc etc. All of which have caused LONG pitstops.

What we are saying is that once damage is well implemented then fine, let the driver decide if it should be fixed.

BUT at the moment it is possible to cave in the front of the car or mash the sides so they intersect with the wheels etc and there is NO penality as long as the suspension did not take a hit. Both of these would end your race or cause a long pit while its fixed.

Yes but here were talking about microscopic suspension damage that isn't even noticeable whilst driving that takes 10 seconds to "fix" not about a head on collision into a wall. 10 seconds is a lot of time in the middle of a race.
#28 - Woz
Quote from Mr.Ferret :Yes but here were talking about microscopic suspension damage that isn't even noticeable whilst driving that takes 10 seconds to "fix" not about a head on collision into a wall. 10 seconds is a lot of time in the middle of a race.

Some have said its a bit arcade with the forced pit time at the moment but I would say that the actual damage model at present is a bit arcade as well. As the forced pit time is the ONLY penalty to damage and as everyone is in the same situation why the problem.

It the damage model was such that body rub on tyres would damage/pop the tyres and that body damage would effect drag I would be all for what has been asked for. But we dont so this sort of change can wait until the damage model overhaul so the changes can be taken into effect properly with any pit instruction control system.

The current damage makes people CARE if they hit something or take damage and that is a GOOD thing, it stops LFS being bumper cars. Remove the mental cost to damage and its a backwards step.
Im glad this generated some responses... however...

In typical forum like substance, everyone has an answer to everything and everyone is an expert, a classic example of this is tristans complete breakdown of my post and having a comment for everything i said in that post. thanks tristan or maybe i should salute you...

To answer the question of one poster, I didnt email the Devs directly because i thought this was a better medium to get the info across and see how ppl comment...

Im not whining Tristan... I just think it should be an option for the player. You dont. Good on you.
Oh, but I do. That's the WHOLE point. I DO want this option. But not yet.

In a typical forum manner you have neglected to read and take on board my point of view. In fact, you haven't even acknowledged it. You just repeat the same thing, and claim I uselessly break down your posts. If you read my/our replies, you might see the reasons why lots of people don't think we should have this option yet.
i did read everything. And my entitlement allows me to reply in what ever way i like as you did.

But the way you wrote it makes you seem like what we in the forces call

SMEE

Subject Matter Expert Everything.

I am gathering from one of the other responses that you often post like that.

I'll just continue to race the way i do with the setups i like and suffer the lack of option until it becomes apart of the game.
Quote from RiginalSin :I'll just continue to race the way i do with the setups i like and suffer the lack of option until it becomes apart of the game.

That's the best response. It's in the cards, but only when the time is right.
Quote from RiginalSin :i did read everything. And my entitlement allows me to reply in what ever way i like as you did.

But the way you wrote it makes you seem like what we in the forces call

SMEE

Subject Matter Expert Everything.

I am gathering from one of the other responses that you often post like that.

I'll just continue to race the way i do with the setups i like and suffer the lack of option until it becomes apart of the game.

Perhaps. But perhaps I just think about the reasons for and against something currently in LFS. I know no more than you about the real reasons for it, but the evidence strikes me as overwhelmingly powerful for keeping the pitstops as they are UNTIL damage is improved. Otherwise people turn off damage repairs, and bash chicanes and other cars with gay abandon.
and with that steering and suspension damage it can be hard to be on the pace...

What i am saying is i had but a small amount of damage. it wasnt enought to throw me off pace... until i pitted, lol...

Yes i totally agree that if someone smashes and bashes their way around the track and suffers no penalty because they can turn off repairs then the game would suffer.

My suggestion is for the Devs to note. How they implement that is upto them. Whether its ready for S2 Beta, Final or S3?

Whether its an option only implemented as they make the damage taken more sensitive, realistic, specific or focus on the way it contributes to other damage of the car is i guess going to determine how long it will be until we see it...

waiting waiting....
If you are willing to wait, then I wholeheartedly agree - it will be improved!

But if you are suggesting this as a patch Y thing I maintain my stance - only add this option when car damage chances car performance.
(prepares flame retardant suit)

I wish we had proper damage now, imo that plus varying levels of grip and marbles, and dragging dirt onto the track, are the next importaint things to add to the lfs experience but thats just me and i don't wanna get too o/t
Quote from Mike85 :Problem is, in LFS the time is never right it seems

You've been here since December. Grow a little patience, dude.
-
(axus) DELETED by axus : Didn't see posts on the 2nd page

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG