The online racing simulator
Kubica Crash
(93 posts, started )
#26 - Dru
Quote from Kostek :pronounced, right

maybe overreacting a bit, but it looked damn scary

lots of questions to be asked thou....

Why did the Toyota appear to not realise where Kubica was - was he asleep? - driver issue.

Why does a F1 car launch off of a service road? Track issue?

Why did marshalls not completey remove the stranded STR Car. Marshall issue?

and we MUST be thankful that he was not 10cm higher, otherwise we would have gone over the top of the retaining wall and came into contact with cars coming the other way and that would have been fatal as a car travelling 160+ into a car doing 100+ the other way would have mean a 260+ smash..
Quote from Tweaker :Hmmm, an equally horrifying crash in CCS, and Katherine only walked away with bruises:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2iqmliVMk
At Road America, and that corner is a fast one.

Amazing safety even in open wheelers these days....

That was a nasty, very fast shunt but the extreme end of the kind of shunt the cars are designed to get the driver out of alive, it was slower at more of a glancing angle and backwards, TBH it probably looked more dramatic than it was due to how high the car flew and the camera angle.

Quote from sil3ntwar :pronounced not spelt

honestly i think people are over reacting to this crash. Yes it was a big one but i wouldnt say anywhere near fatal. The car exploded and didnt stop dead so that takes away a big chunk of the huge impact.

Kubica's crash was almost head on into a concrete wall at 170 mph, there is no way that a car can be designed to take that, really more luck than anything that he hit the first wall which dissipated some of the energy and somehow didn't get killed.

Quote from Dru :Why did marshalls not completey remove the stranded STR Car. Marshall issue?

I think the stranded car was completely clear of the scene and TBH if he had hit it it would have probably been a softer option.
#28 - Dru
check the replay - his right front tyre hits the STR in mid air.....

so it was there. In this instance it does not defelct the course or velocity significantly, but the stranded car was CLEARLY not fully out of the way of any accident that could occur at that section.
Quote from Dru :check the replay - his right front tyre hits the STR in mid air.....

so it was there. In this instance it does not defelct the course or velocity significantly, but the stranded car was CLEARLY not fully out of the way of any accident that could occur at that section.

Watch it in super slow motion and you'll clearly see his front right hit the wall, not the car which was behind it, given the speed of the accident it can be hard to tell looking at it at full speed.

If you actually watch this crash in really slow motion you'll soon understand just how big it was.
Attached images
Picture 1.png
And no broken bones, reports of a broken leg were false, he stands a chance of racing the next GP, team will decide Thursday if he is to race or not
"Why did the Toyota appear to not realise where Kubica was - was he asleep? - driver issue."
When your driving a F1 car you can't just be looking in the mirrors 24/7, and even if you was you wouldn't see much. Driver issue - no

"Why does a F1 car launch off of a service road? Track issue?"
No it would happen at any track, its just physics, when a car going that fast, and with a ride height that low hits the bumpy uneven grass, it's gonna take off

"Why did marshalls not completey remove the stranded STR Car. Marshall issue?"
He didnt hit the car, he clearly hit the wall. Had he hit the car, you would of seen it move, so there's nothing to talk about here

They will probably add a catch fence to the wall following what happend
#32 - Dru
edited
#33 - Dru
Quote from ajp71 :Watch it in super slow motion and you'll clearly see his front right hit the wall, not the car which was behind it, given the speed of the accident it can be hard to tell looking at it at full speed.

If you actually watch this crash in really slow motion you'll soon understand just how big it was.

Quote from Thorvertonian :And no broken bones, reports of a broken leg were false, he stands a chance of racing the next GP, team will decide Thursday if he is to race or not

Not sure if he's mentally in 100% condition this soon, so they might give a debut chance to Vettel.
Scared the hell out of me watching it, it's just not something you want to see, especcially since the impct was so hard the wheels got ripped off, something we rarely see nowadays.

I really want to see it from the Spyker (Think it was that car) Behind to see what actually happend, because with the current camera angles Trulli wasn't on his his racing line. Origionally I thought that Robert was overtaking Trulli and then Trulli pulled out to overtake the Spyker, but it's really tough to tell.

Great news that he was ok, seeing him hit the wall like that sent the shivers up me, hope to see him back soon.
Just glad he's alive. Can't believe the jumps in safety since the Senna incident. I'm in the firm belief that the Montreal track should be removed from the season unless it starts getting used more often during the year.
Quote from malinkie :I'm in the firm belief that the Montreal track should be removed from the season unless it starts getting used more often during the year.

The track is fine, the car and barriers did their jobs perfectly.
One of the most exciting races in a long time simply because the track makes for good close racing.
#38 - Dru
just after kubica and trulli come into view does anyone see and debris come off one of the cars and go over towards the spyker before kubica hit the grass?
that'll be part of Kubica's front wing when he clipped Trulli's rear wheel
Man horrible crash, especially when it takes off as it clips the wall which rips of the wheel it actually angles the car so that it hits the wall head on. I didn't see it live as I was LFS league racing yesterday but man, saw he highlights last night... Thank god for modern safety rules and innovations. I mean in the early nineties no way would he have survived that crash. I was amazed how intact the monocoque was, especially the font of the car where the legs are.

Kubica is a lucky man, glad he is ok

they should rest him for the next race..

mad
#41 - Dru
Quote from Thorvertonian :that'll be part of Kubica's front wing when he clipped Trulli's rear wheel

Was just wondering if it was debrid on the track which people avoided hence the change in lines and why Kubica went off...

BTW WB Thor - good holiday
Quote from amp88 :Some people won't be watching the race live and will want not to hear anything about it before they do so. Please rename the topic so you don't give it away to those people.

WTF? So you dont want to know anything about what happened in the F1 race yesterday right? Why the hell are you trolling the most likely place on the LFS forums to find that exact information. illepall derr

OT. Kubica is a very lucky man, that was a massive impact. Apparently he only suffered a sprained ankle & a few bruises. He may even be fit to race next weekend.
Quote from malinkie :Just glad he's alive. Can't believe the jumps in safety since the Senna incident. I'm in the firm belief that the Montreal track should be removed from the season unless it starts getting used more often during the year.

Nothing wrong with the track, he went off on the exit of a flat corner that never really has any incidents, ironically I think it was how the barrier came in after the run off area that he hit head on, it was an everything went about as wrong as it could of done up until the point he hit the wall, when everything went right for him seeing as he survived. It's by far the largest and one of the fastest crashes in F1 to date where someone has pretty much walked away. I'm not sure whether or not a tire wall could be installed on the place he went off, I think it would just reduce the run off for cars doing the conventional thing of skimming along the wall and potentially result in them catching and having much larger accidents. I personally think Montreal is a nice circuit and it would be a shame to loose it.

The best way to survive a crash is firstly not to crash, secondly to loose energy and thirdly to get medical aid quickly, obviously the first point was missed and whilst the track may not have helped much the monocoque did absorb the impact well and he did get aid very quickly.

Also serves as a highlight to why I think the GP2 style 'racing' of trying to shove other cars off down the straights and Hamilton amazing 'pass' which he forced two cars off the road at 160 mph at Silverstone are an accident waiting to happen, you could put any modern single seater into a wall in that way and the chances of seeing someone survive it are definitely not guaranteed. Not crashing is the key to avoid things like this happening, although it's currently not certain how Trulli and Kubica came into contact I rather loose faith when Trulli crashes out under the safety car
WHATTTTTT,NO broken bones,damn the Polish build them tough
Hurrah for Carbon Fibre tubs!!!

/me wonders how well Carbon Fibre really ages
Nice find, that clearly shows the other car was protected and out of the way.
Quote from Kostek :I'm wondering about one thing: why there were no tires along that wall? Did track authorities not assume, that someone might crash there? I thought you usually have to assume the worst.

Because there is a certain distance a tire wall has to be from the track, to stop people hitting it and bouncing back onto the track.
The wall they have is the best solution and it did it's job perfectly.
Well the reason they use those curved walls is so that the impact is spread sideways along it. I think they might rethink that wall where the STR was parked though.

Kubica Crash
(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG