The online racing simulator
Quote from SamH :For people who think scientists can't be wrong, I can confidently point at the other recent fad in scientific endeavour that turned a handsome profit for the venerable scientific community.. DIETS.

You're forgetting cosmetics. You just can't bring a shampoo to market these days unless it's had the once-over from the white-coated boffins.
Quote from MAGGOT :I'd rather drown from meltin icecaps than live without motorsport.

I know, I'm a jerk.

Finnaly i agree with MAGGOT.

KILL THE PEOPLE WHO BAN MOTORSPORT!!!
IT'S THE BEST TYPE OF SPORT IN THE UNIVERSE!!!
Quote from wheel4hummer :I think that global warming is being caused by the sun. My belief for this, is that the sun does not burn at a constant rate. Right now, the sun is just burning a little faster then it was 5000 years ago. Also, the polar ice caps on mars, which interestingly enough are made of CO2, are melting.

Well its a possibility, sun is a huge unstable energy generator which has been burning for god knows how many zillion years. The sun is burning quite intensely right now apparently. But and it's an important but you have to ask yourself, surely the amount of CO2 we pump out into our own atmosphere must have some impact on the fine balance ecosystem of our planet. The co2 that was locked under ground in form of oil and coal has now been dug up and burned with the resulting CO2 pumped into our atmosphere. Surely this must have some effect on the way the atmosphere traps heat from our sun.

Because we don't yet fully understand how our planet actually works and how all this finely balanced ecosystem operates this is why it is important to preserve it. We started destroying it before fully understanding it. Sure it's easy to say, meh its the sun causing it, global warming isn't man made, its a normal life cycle of our planet but the fact is we just don't know and this is why it it at least important to consider the possibility that we may be effecting the temperature and try to lessen our impact. We also need to clean up our act as so far we aren't living very clean lifestyles. Pollution is everywhere you look.

I'd rather we did something about our emmisions of CO2 and even other pollutants then just wait until its really too late. Surely that makes sense.

Now the problem is, the way being green and global warming is exaggerated by the media and how politicians jumped on it to take hold and to make a few million by taxing us more to be green has been ridiculous. We we do need to be more efficient in our lifestyles, electricity wise, oil wise, food wise etc.....
Basically we need to convert the sun to run on bio-ethanol fuel and make it recycle more.
Quote from article writer :Add in the hundreds of flights every team uses between testing and races and one recent estimate put each driver's carbon emissions for the eight-month season at 54 tonnes: more than 10 times as much as the average Briton emits in a year. That's not even counting other factors, such as the teams that have two wind tunnels running 24/7.

What an utter load of bollocks that entire article is. It's not like everyone is going to suddenly start developing,testing&racing an F1 car. He is compariing apples with oranges. I offer this comparison:

So one F1 driver during a season emits 10 times as much carbon as a normal person driving a normal car.

Let's say there is a million people watching each F1 race. If you divide the pollution per spectator you get that one F1 driver during a season emits 0.00001 times as much carbon as a fan driving a normal car.

If every fan were to go play pool (and drive his car to the place) once a year instead of watching F1, they would create about 1/1000 of their yearly carbon emmissions. That's 100 times more than an entire season of F1 races. If every fan were to go play pool 17 times a year, the carbon emmissions figure would be 1700 times as high as entire F1 season of races, testing and travel.

We are assuming here that a session of pool lasts about as long as an F1 race.

So basically if we were to treat F1 as a form of entertainment, as what it actually is, and compare it to any other form of entertainment, then we would surely come to the conclusion that Formula 1 racing is a very energy efficient way to entertain people. 1700 times more efficient than say going to play pool for example.
Quote from thisnameistaken :You're forgetting cosmetics. You just can't bring a shampoo to market these days unless it's had the once-over from the white-coated boffins.

Oh gawd yeah! I think the little hair I have left has mutated to some poly-ethanol strand, thanks to the latest (and most amazing ever) Head & Shoulders.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Basically we need to convert the sun to run on bio-ethanol fuel and make it recycle more.

When it burns out and collapses, it'll suck everything else around into itself, then spit it all out to make a new solar system. Cosmic recycling
Well, the climate change exists, but even if the average F1 driver emits 10 times more co2 than the average brit, it's a fact that there are 20 F1 drivers and a couple of millions of brits...
Quote from SamH :For people who think scientists can't be wrong, I can confidently point at the other recent fad in scientific endeavour that turned a handsome profit for the venerable scientific community.. DIETS

most of these are invented by non scientists based on conjectures which were proven false years ago
most scientists working in the field will tell you that the only thing they know for sure is that they dont know any solution for slimming down other than the obvious

you guys should really learn some science mumbo jumbo before you start thowing these things around
conjecture - to have an idea but nothing to prove it
hypothesis - an idea thats firmly based in math and other theorys and already has some proof to indicate that it is indeed right
theory - something that has been sufficiently proven and challenged to make it an accepted scientific fact

most things in nutrition are conjectures some of which make it to the point of being a hypothesis most of which cant even dream of ever becoming theory

global warming however hangs somewhere between theory and and hypothesis ... the theory part being the obvious fact that co2 can cause warming the hypothesis part being how much earth will warm

Quote from wheel4hummer :I think that global warming is being caused by the sun. My belief for this, is that the sun does not burn at a constant rate. Right now, the sun is just burning a little faster then it was 5000 years ago. Also, the polar ice caps on mars, which interestingly enough are made of CO2, are melting.

the number of sunspots is relatively low or at least not in any way larger than before right now and the warming on mars isnt half as strong as some make it sound to be and not global
**Taking it too far alert**

Want my opinion? Its just some MOFO who hasnt got anything better to do than moan about motorsports. Yes, global warming is real, but is there any solie 100% scientifical proof that we are causing it. I recon that if there wasnt motorsports, then Lewis Hamilton would be some ricer driving down the M1 @ 150mph.
I just thought of this : How did the ice ages come to an end? Did the Neanderthals make huuuuuuge fires? I don't think so. I think it's impossible that global warming is caused by human activities alone.
Quote from hrtburnout :I just thought of this : How did the ice ages come to an end? Did the Neanderthals make huuuuuuge fires? I don't think so. I think it's impossible that global warming is caused by human activities alone.

Well it obviously ended by gradual warming of the earth. This warming could have been down to many factors, atmospheric changes ie green house gasses in the atmosphere rapidly increased and as they did so did the temperature due to more heat being captured within the atmosphere. It could have also been caused by slight changes in the earth's orbit which do occur.

But don't forget, these changes in temperature and the gradual end of the ice age has taken thousand if not millions of years. We are seeing earth's temperature rise over the last 50 years which is very short if you consider the earth's lifetime.
Quote from hrtburnout :I just thought of this : How did the ice ages come to an end? Did the Neanderthals make huuuuuuge fires? I don't think so. I think it's impossible that global warming is caused by human activities alone.

atm no one can possibly tell you exactly how much of an impact co2 emissions have on global warming but the point is they do and they do increase the speed at which any warming will occur and if we decide that gw is undesireable we should at least limit our influence on it
Quote from Shotglass :the number of sunspots is relatively low or at least not in any way larger than before right now and the warming on earth isnt half as strong as some make it sound to be and not global

I fixed it for you!
im still wondering why i havent put you on ignore yet
Why don't they talk about women taking their daughters to ballet school with a Land Rover??? Why don't they talk about people using their cars even to the shortest distance instead of getting on a bus???

Every morning, i see thousands of people each in one car sitting in the traffic trying to go across the bosphorus bridge and doing the reverse in the afternoon.I can't believe those people.Get on the bus and it might help to shrink your FAT ASS!!! Only then i can agree motorsports really do more pollution...
The fuel usage of F1 cars is totally irrelevant. If the FIA wants to contribute in the fight against global warming they should do all races in one country. The F1 teams travel around the globe during the season, mostly by plane, and that's sending far more CO2 into the atmosphere than all the laps they could ever do on track.

In this light the most dangerous sport is probably soccer, purely because of its popularity. Think about it, all the fuel wasted by people driving to the stadium, all the kilowatts spent on televised matches, or on keeping the fan's beers cool... It's a massive emission of CO2. Ban it!

Quote :Climate change is probably the single biggest issue facing our planet

Nonsense. Mankind may be harmed by global warming, but the planet will be just fine. The effect is only that some species dwindle while others thrive. (However, the mass extinction caused by deforestation and other human activities, that's a different story...)

Quote :One F1 team has one-use-only wheel bolts that cost £600 each.

Maybe. But wasting wheel bolts can be perfectly CO2 neutral.
Quote from SamH :You can't fart too much! I can't fart ENOUGH! I LOVE farting!!

yeah me too lol
I just went to the Montreal GP qualification today. I woke up at 4:30 am :tired: The cars are very noisy. You need earplugs even because it's so LOUD! :faint2:
i say we shoot everyone that thinks motor sport is bad (exept Hot girls) and shoot everyone that is fat and to lazy to walk their ass 2 mins to the shop and then we can enjoy our motor sport and rail hot chicks!
Quote from MAD3.0LT :i say we shoot everyone that thinks motor sport is bad (exept Hot girls) and shoot everyone that is fat and to lazy to walk their ass 2 mins to the shop and then we can enjoy our motor sport and rail hot chicks!

Ermm, actually the hot chicks that don't like motorsports don't also like you liking motorsports, so you actually can't have them both.

It's easy to blame something else. The point is that if we don't start from somewhere we aren't going anywhere. Banning environmentally hazardous motorsports is relatively small step compared to changing peoples driving habits; both in evironmental effect and easiness. Therefore it has to be done. True progression comes from small steps. Giant leaps seldomly work. Same goes to saving in electricity: it's no big deal to turn off lights when they are not really needed. When more people do this, then they become more and more aware of the massive amounts of energy wasting that goes on in industry. More awareness -> more pressure for industry to change habits.

I say ban the evil motor racing. I don't need it. I got my LFS.
Quote from Julppu :I got my LFS.

As someone has already pointed out, LFS is just as much a contributor to the "problem": all those servers, all those pcs, all those cable networks and telephone exchanges - they don't run on bio-degradeable dolphin excrement. They use energy. Mostly they use energy produced in gas or coal fired power stations. "Formula One fans" are vastly outnumbered by "people who use power"
why dotn they start with the obvious ... the stupid qualy method which is an hour of doing nothing but burning fuel for the hell of it
Why don't they leave F1 alone and go and do something more relevent to the matter at hand, like a country or an ecological policy. Yanno, like some ACTUAL gross ecological offenders. The only reason they're having a go at F1 is because of F1's prominence. It has nothing to do with F1 being a great offender in this department - the technology that's perculated down from F1 has had a more positive effect on fuel-burning efficiency/cleanliness in the millions of cars on roads today than it EVER has had a negative impact on the environment.

The article is for publicity, for political purpose/gain and in no way highlights any need in F1 to move in any different direction from how it's been going in the last 10-20 years.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG