The online racing simulator
S2 Alpha Patch Q
(160 posts, closed, started )
Quote from paceman :I just installed Patch Q and now I get an error message during program start "warning: created default codepage" and the menu words are defective (special letters (german)) appear as a sqare. :-( dont know what to do...

You have installed the patch wrongly, for some reason it has not used the directory structure in the zip, so the abc.abc file has not ended up in the right place.

You need to make sure an option like "preserve directory structure" or "use folders" or something, is switched on. If you don't have WinZip, i would recommend that as it's better than the standard XP unzipper.
Jeah, i finally can prove, that scawen will still work on LFS in a few years

Quote from Scawen :So basically, it's not the time. I guess the right time will be in a few years from now, when no-one uses the old versions of Windows, and all graphics hardware supports later versions of DirectX.

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you. Really sad, that physic improvements are incompatible patches, and so we won't have Q1, Q2 and so on
Oh yeah I see. Now it works. Thanks for the very fast reply and help!
thanks Scawen very much appreciated.
My everlasting gratitude for pumping these things out at such a pace and in the weekend no less!
Thanks scawen, nice early christmas present.
excellent, now you guys can get to physics
Quote from Scawen :As two people said here before me, Chinese, Korean and Japanese Kanji contain thousands of letters, so it's a different task, which is best left until the future, when there's no-one left using older versions of Windows, and we all have a later version of DirectX, because Unicode and so on, is supported better with Windows XP.

The only reason we could do a Japanese codepage, is because Japanese has a special text called "Katakana" which is something like an alphabet, containing letters like "KA" and "RO". It's useful for writing words when the Kanji character is not known (because in Kanji, which is based on Chinese writing, each character means a word, and you can't just figure out how to write a word just by hearing it - you need to know the Kanji).

So all Japanese people are familiar with Katakana, it's useful for chat and looks cool, even though in LFS they can't write full Kanji.

Technically incorrect but in the correct spirit. Katakana are actually used for spelling things out that are borrowed from OTHER languages. Hiragana are used for spelling things out in Japanese.

Took japanese in highschool, then went off to join the navy and promptly forgot most of what i learned. However yeah, youve got the character sets backward. not a huge thing, youre just going to have to swap the Katakana with hiragana. Words that would have been in Katakana can be spelled out in Romanji (Roman letters like ours).

Edit:the menu options are probably still fine, but that ability to type properly in japanese will still be lacking
Ive installed the patch, but i try and load the game, and it cant open the HEL_DEFAULT.JPG...any help

EDIT: DONT WORRY...SORTED
Quote from Kolzig :Thanks scawen, nice early christmas present.

I was expecting another xmas gift from Scawen his year (a new car?)
#86 - axus
Quote from wheeler :(a new car?)

Those come from Eric... my uneducated guess is that the rally pack is in the making. Not sure if it will come Christmas or Easter. At this rate Scawen will hurl out more patches before the year is out.
Hey guys is there a way to setup the aa and af without going into the Catalyst Panel, maybe oneday the dev's could also put that option in the game .

and thanks dev's for the update cant wait for the next one .
#88 - dmcs
Quote from mrodgers :DMCS, there should be an option saying something to the effect of "windowed mode while connecting (yes/no)" in the connection screen. Default was "yes" if I recall. Just change to "no".

Yep, right in front of my eyes Just had to put my glasses on. Thanks for the assist!
Thanks Scawen & Co.!
Nice!
Good job as usual
Nice to have the new Language support which will help to spread LFS all over the world.

3j
For christmas i think we should all donate money to the devs for their hard work Could the devs put a donate button somewhere on the official site or LFS world?
i don't know why but with this patch i have fps problems,

i don't have changes any settings, all the same than with p5 patch i was before.

when i play that's all normal, about 60-80 fps in race, but they shut down to 18-20, like if the fps limiter is actived, but he isn't, and after 1 min or more fps come back normals, and after they shut down on more time, and always the same.

i've tried to change my AA AF settings but that's change notting.

please help
Quote from Scawen : .....Chinese on pre-rendered font textures....
...So basically, it's not the time. I guess the right time will be in a few years from now, when no-one uses the old versions of Windows, and all graphics hardware supports later versions of DirectX.

..... pre-rendered font textures....

Uhhh... Why is it a "texture" instead of a character?
Man, I hope I can ask this correctly...
What I mean is when you see writing (text characters) on the screen you're actually seeing an image of those characters pasted on objects?

Oh thanks for the update
Quote from axus :Check for spywear and things like that. Do you run a firewall, anti-virus protection etc etc? Have you installed any new applications recently?

my computer is kept quite clean, firewall is on ouside router, no garbage stuff gets in here... it just seems to lack the performance
#96 - Don
Quote from axus :Those come from Eric... my uneducated guess is that the rally pack is in the making. Not sure if it will come Christmas or Easter. At this rate Scawen will hurl out more patches before the year is out.

i think that s2 final version has bigger priority than rallypack
Quote from Racer Y :..... pre-rendered font textures....

Uhhh... Why is it a "texture" instead of a character?
Man, I hope I can ask this correctly...
What I mean is when you see writing (text characters) on the screen you're actually seeing an image of those characters pasted on objects?

Oh thanks for the update

Every character you see in LFS is two triangles, forming a rectangle, and the texture on those triangles is a texture with transparency. That is the font texture. All characters are rendered onto the font textures when LFS starts up.
#98 - axus
Quote from Don :i think that s2 final version has bigger priority than rallypack

I'm pretty sure the models are quite polished for S2 final by now - so my _guess_ would be that Eric is making new ones.
Quote from Scawen :Every character you see in LFS is two triangles, forming a rectangle, and the texture on those triangles is a texture with transparency. That is the font texture. All characters are rendered onto the font textures when LFS starts up.

And surprisingly drawing lots of text can make the experience quite choppy. You mostly notice it when the menus are active - then the fps are waaay lower because of all that text and transparency. You might think that just drawing some text is fast, but really, it isn't.
Thanks!!!
Good job Thanks Scawen!!
This thread is closed

S2 Alpha Patch Q
(160 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG