The online racing simulator
Patch X Hi-Res skins and frame rate query
Hi

Sorry if this is a bit of a numpty question, but here goes.

If you decide to download and use the Hi-Res skins available with Patch X, will this affect frame rates in any way?

I'm not sure if: Hi-Res skins = more pixels to push = slower frame rates.

Does anyone know?

Cheers
#2 - garph
Quote from dungbeetle :Hi

If you decide to download and use the Hi-Res skins available with Patch X, will this affect frame rates in any way?

Does anyone know?

Cheers

Yes, but I dunno how much.

More things on screen, more detail on screen, the more stuff that needs to be shown the lower your FPS will be, simple.
Quote from garph :Yes, but I dunno how much.

More things on screen, more detail on screen, the more stuff that needs to be shown the lower your FPS will be, simple.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Shame. Not so good for folks with lower spec. machines, eh?

Can anyone who is involved in the Patch X testing maybe let us know how frame rates have been affected?
Quote from dungbeetle :Hi

Does anyone know?

Cheers

what is your graphic card? Hard to answer if we dont know what you have.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :what is your graphic card? Hard to answer if we dont know what you have.

Hi Devil,

It's OK, I wasn't after an actual figure in frames per second as such, it was just a query about if the hi-res skins do actually affect frame rate.

I appreciate that faster machines may not notice much difference at all and a lot will depend on how many cars are in the frame at the time etc., etc.

Just wondered if any of the X testers had noticed a drop of any kind and if so, was it significant
I have found no detriment on line. You notice a hit with all 20 ai on the road, but thats not entirely the extra skin sizes.
I have an ATI X1300pro card and a dual core 2.1 processor. It runs fine at 1680 x 1200 (widescreen lcd montor), in fact the higher res skins look superb on line - I love this feature.
I don't use any hi res skins (other than my own), but I do have all of Electric Kar's texture replacements. I also use the reflection mod and hi res skies. I haven't noticed any change in frame rate on my 7900GS Extreme. At all.
I ran an unmodified version of LFS when the first test patch was released and it runs the same rate as the fully modded one. Lovely

I assume low-end graphics cards will take a hit, but simply using up texture memory shouldn't cause any problems for a card from the last year or two.
#8 - Jakg
i'd imagine that it will only affect GFX card with 128 MB of RAM or less.

Even with my custom textures/hi-res skin whoring etc, in a full race LFS is only using ~90 MB of Video RAM
This all sounds very encouraging

Thanks for the replies guys.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG