The online racing simulator
BF1 Braking
(15 posts, started )
BF1 Braking
I dont really know if it should be called a bug. However while watching F1 races on TV sometimes you can see onboard shots with revcounter, braking and throttle axis and TC. You can see that drivers are using 100% braking power all the way through braking "zone". In LFS while braking you cant brake 100% all the way because you will block the wheels at half of the braking distance, because the speed will be lower thus less downforce and less grip. you have to modulate braking force lowering it at the entry to the corner. I think real F1 cars have braking force limiter cutting braking preasure under low speeds to prevent from blocking the wheels. I think LFs should simulate such system too.
#2 - amp88
The displays shown in F1 do not provide an analogue brake display. Unlike the throttle, the brake is either shown as being on or off, there's no 20% brake or 90% brake. The best reason I can think of for this is that brake pedal travel isn't absolute (as it is with the throttle) and brake pedal pressure is a larger factor in exactly how much braking force is applied, rather than how far the pedal moves. Current F1 rules do not allow systems to modulate braking force for the driver, he has to do this himself - which is why you often see the drivers locking wheels, especially in wet conditions. ABS has been used in the past but it's currently banned.
I know what you mean but like amp said, you don't see the actually braking pressure the driver applies, only throttle. If you look closely , most drivers have like 5%-10% throttle in while they're braking. Personally, I dont use left-foot braking much but I found that with the single seaters especially, it can really help prevent lock-ups in braking zones so give it a try. Also remember that you dont use full pressure entering the corner, drivers often let the pedal out as they're turning in.
#4 - amp88
Here's an interesting comparison of telemetry from 2003 between Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello. Ok, so it's 3 years out of date compared to the BF1 but not much has changed in the brakes lately. The Montreal hairpin page is the best example of the drivers bleeding off brake pressure as the downforce decays. Compare that braking trace with the attached image (taken from Biggie's WR replay of AS3 BF1 of the braking approach to the first chicane) and you'll see it's fairly similar to Schumacher's.
Attached images
biggieas3bf1braking.JPG
A little tip on left foot braking on downforce cars:

As we all know, to get the most out of the downforce generated grip you need to set the brake force higher and more rear biased than optimal for lower speed lower downforce braking. The solution to overcoming this is a combination of reducing brake pressure and adding a bit of throttle as speed drops. This prevents excessive braking force at lower speeds and actively shifts brake bias forward when required.

Form the driver's point of view, the action is to just stomp the brake pedal as hard as you can when say you enter a hairpin at top speed (e.g. 320+km/h) to make the most of the high speed downforce and high speed optimized brakes, then let go of the brake while gently increasing throttle as speed drops, finally entering a corner with just a bit of brake pressure (trail braking) and just enough throttle to get the balance and line right. It's in many ways completely alien to non downforce dominant braking technique.
Thanks for the tips. As I can see, such problems are present in light singleseeters with downforce only. I have to practice more then.
Are we talking about the on screen TV coverage for the braking graphic? I have always figured, the brake on that is on or off for one good reason. Why let every other team in the paddock see where your driver brakes at, worse yet see how much force they apply in the turn. Wouldn't take much to figure out how the driver is braking, where at, how much, on what tires and try to have your driver do it themselves. Or even see how good another teams braking system is compared to yours.

It reminds me of the press conference in 2000 I think it was where Michael told the reporter he was going to brake at 4 meters, then Mika comes in and smiles says how thats good he is planning to brake at 3 meters.
#8 - amp88
Quote from neglouseight :Are we talking about the on screen TV coverage for the braking graphic?

Yes. Teams can choose to use the footage from the onboard cameras to give them a huge amount of information on their competitors. Braking points, engine revs, gear ratios, top speeds, acceleration etc.
#9 - ajp71
Quote from amp88 :The displays shown in F1

The displays shown in F1 are IIRC based on sound analysis and have nothing to do with the actual pedal sensors that the teams will get in their telemetry and use to make the graphs shown in that article. Obviously the throttle is easier to estimate from sound analysis because there's a big loud thing connect to it
Quote from ajp71 :The displays shown in F1 are IIRC based on sound analysis and have nothing to do with the actual pedal sensors that the teams will get in their telemetry and use to make the graphs shown in that article. Obviously the throttle is easier to estimate from sound analysis because there's a big loud thing connect to it

Well, it doesn't really matter where the displays come from (i.e. from the teams' telemetry or from the sound analysis), but I've never seen an analogue brake display on any overlay from any racing series. I just don't think it's feasible to set it up to show that. I'm open to evidence to the contrary though...
Quote from amp88 :Well, it doesn't really matter where the displays come from (i.e. from the teams' telemetry or from the sound analysis), but I've never seen an analogue brake display on any overlay from any racing series. I just don't think it's feasible to set it up to show that. I'm open to evidence to the contrary though...

Simply an indication of brake travel is available in almost all telemetry systems.
Brake travel is open to change through a stint/race due to disc/pad wear and/or boiling brake fluid. Also, once the pedal is in a position where the pads are in contact with the disc, it's more a change in pedal pressure than pedal position which determines the actual braking force applied.
#13 - J.B.
Quote from ajp71 :The displays shown in F1 are IIRC based on sound analysis and have nothing to do with the actual pedal sensors that the teams will get in their telemetry and use to make the graphs shown in that article. Obviously the throttle is easier to estimate from sound analysis because there's a big loud thing connect to it

Do you know this for a fact? I know it was the case when they only had rpm but with throttle, brake and G-Forces I'm quite sure they are using more direct data now. Getting throttle position from seem unlikely to me.
Quote from amp88 :Well, it doesn't really matter where the displays come from (i.e. from the teams' telemetry or from the sound analysis), but I've never seen an analogue brake display on any overlay from any racing series. I just don't think it's feasible to set it up to show that. I'm open to evidence to the contrary though...

NASCAR has a system sort of like that. During qualifications, they show the thottle and brake 'tracks.' the throttle is a green bar that goes from zero to one hundred, and any other bit in between. The brake however, is represented by a rectangluar-ish object. When the driver is on 100% brake, it is bright red. As he or she modulates the brake pedal, the rectangle will fade to gray, or back to red, depending on the pressure placed upon it.

Here is an example of it, on Jeff Gordon's (yuck) pole winning run at the first CoT race at Bristol.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LCKBn3m-QFA

Cheers,
Matt.
Quote from KanseiDneova :NASCAR has a system sort of like that. During qualifications, they show the thottle and brake 'tracks.' the throttle is a green bar that goes from zero to one hundred, and any other bit in between. The brake however, is represented by a rectangluar-ish object. When the driver is on 100% brake, it is bright red. As he or she modulates the brake pedal, the rectangle will fade to gray, or back to red, depending on the pressure placed upon it.

Here is an example of it, on Jeff Gordon's (yuck) pole winning run at the first CoT race at Bristol.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LCKBn3m-QFA

Cheers,
Matt.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder what the technicalities of the matter are that mean NASCAR can do it and F1 can't.

BF1 Braking
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG