The online racing simulator
Dirt under the tires should not be absolutely constant and homogeneous.. nor wind. Not everything is worth more than a seeded bit of randomness code.
Quote from Breizh :Dirt under the tires should not be absolutely constant and homogeneous.. nor wind. Not everything is worth more than a seeded bit of randomness code.

So if you go on the grass, it'll be there untill you pit??
Quote from ramsy66 :So if you go on the grass, it'll be there untill you pit??

No, why would it? The dirt comes off after a few (or more) corners. I guess he meant that the tyres always get dirty homogeneously, ie: the same amount of dirt on every part of the tyre contact patch. But the tyres are turning around rapidly so they gather dirt evenly i guess, maybe it's not that wrong. I also noticed that sand traps give more dirt than grass, so the amount of dirt depends on the surface too, not just constant.
No, he's saying clipping the grass with the edge of the contact patch shouldn't affect the traction of the whole tire...
No, it doesn't. It will drive off after a few corners. What he meant was that for a given dirt amount, the tyre will always have grip X, instead of X varying a bit/being random (I think).

Though I will not confirm that it really is like that, as we actually don't know for sure. Not too long ago we also thought that LFS doesn't model tyre surface temperature, which turned out to be wrong.

E: LOL, three different interpretations of the same sentence.
E2: By the way, at least according to the F9 menu, if you clip a dirty area the whole *width* of the tyre is affected, but not the whole circumference!
Can someone check this?

Last year, Kirves and I were messing about on South City Classic in the MRTs (reliving the old(ish) days). On the exit of the last corner, just at the start of the exit kerb, there is a small strip of grass/dirt. The dirt on my wheels started flickering, so I think that the dirt isn't uniform around the tyre.

Android, our LFS-Tyre know-it-all, should have a play and see what comes up with.
I *know* that the dirt is not uniform around the whole tyre
It seems to be just simplified for the three pads (inner middle outer), but clipping the dirt will not make your whole tyre dirty.
Quote from tristancliffe :The dirt on my wheels started flickering, so I think that the dirt isn't uniform around the tyre.

not around but across
afaik the dirt is applied to the whole width of the tyre meaning that when you clip only a fraction of the tyres width on the grass at high gs theres nothing to save you from spinning

the flat exit curbs at westihll are a prime example
Oh I see. Sorry.

*Goes back to concentrating on a banana*
I know this is off topic, but something really quite funny just happened. I had this annoying wrecker idiot right up my behind, kept nudging me, he was in the fastest car in the demo I was in the slowest, and he was basically fish tailing me to annoy me, so just as we were going over the start line area, I braked really hard, he went straight into the back of me, went spinning off the track and crashed and I drove on.

Ahah, damn wrecker got what was coming to him!!
Congratulations, you're now a wrecker yourself!
Quote from ramsy66 :I know this is off topic, but something really quite funny just happened. I had this annoying wrecker idiot right up my behind, kept nudging me, he was in the fastest car in the demo I was in the slowest, and he was basically fish tailing me to annoy me, so just as we were going over the start line area, I braked really hard, he went straight into the back of me, went spinning off the track and crashed and I drove on.

Ahah, damn wrecker got what was coming to him!!

Quote from AndroidXP :Congratulations, you're now a wrecker yourself!

What was I supposed to do? Wait till we got to a corner so he could ram me right into the barrier?

In some situations, attack is the best form of defence.
I can`t tell if this game is realistic or not, I can only tell one thing
- The game is challanging, more challanging than any other racing games I have tried, but still very fun. I belive LFS tries to be super realistic, maybe it is, or maybe they have succeeded in finding a great balance between realistic and fun
Quote from ramsy66 :What was I supposed to do? Wait till we got to a corner so he could ram me right into the barrier?

In some situations, attack is the best form of defence.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. All it will do is create a snowball effect. In situations like this he could end up wanting to get back to you, and then you want to get back at him, and then he....you get the picture.

In ALL situations the best thing to do is to be the smart one.

There's a lot of ways to solve it, the best wa is to either be faster than him or just let him get away and resume your own race.
I agree. It's not something I usually do, but for one, he was obviously fish tailing me, he was in the faster car I was in the much slower car, I tryed moving slightly to the left to let him past, but he was keeping a steady speed right behind me, following my line completely. He kept nudging me too, so I knew he was just going to push me into the barrier at the next corner and I'd be left annoyed as usual on this demo, so instead of having to leave annoyed or crash and be annoyed, I did something about it.
It also could be he was bumpdrafting you without your knowledge, as he recognized you from the forums...

Bumpdrafting = using the speed advantage of the draft to nudge the car in front so both cars are getting faster...
Quote from bbman :It also could be he was bumpdrafting you without your knowledge, as he recognized you from the forums...

Bumpdrafting = using the speed advantage of the draft to nudge the car in front so both cars are getting faster...

I highly doubt that, he could have quite easily just driven past me.. But obviously if he did recognise me from the forums and was doign this.. Full apologies to him, I didn't realise this was even possible to make the car your drafting from to also go faster.

But I highly doubt it was this.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I don't use the same username on the game as on these forums, so that is quite impossible that he recognised me...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG