The online racing simulator
A plea to fast drivers
(70 posts, started )
I should have been clearer on my last comment. I ment if a driver makes a passing move at a dangerous( tight tricky single areo line etc) point the driver
your tring to pass may not be able to back off with out causing more choas on the track.

Nikimere if you outbrake yourself while overtaking then(by your standards) you have lost the right to the racing line,
aren't you now a slower car and shouldn't you get out of the way of the one behind?

Quote :Sometimes you cant afford to wait another lap or for another corner. What if its the last lap?

Well a trip to hosptial, a nice chat with the race stewards and a hefty fine?

Their has to be restraint even on the last lap, otherwise we could just slam eachother out of the way.

Give and take not take take take take.

sorry Sinbad I disn't mean to have a go at you, I've had this happen to me so many times its stoped being funny.
They come flying in from 3 car lengths away and have to almost stop to make the apex, it can supprise the person your passing
and they will also be at the limit of control. Braking hard may not avoid the collison, what else can you do?
Quote from -wes- :
They come flying in from 3 car lengths away and have to almost stop to make the apex, it can supprise the person your passing
and they will also be at the limit of control. Braking hard may not avoid the collison, what else can you do?

Long live the divers...
Quote from Doorman :I had cause to look at my stats the other day and the distance travelled shocked me to the core! I put my mediocrity down to age.

Good to see an old codger online amoungst it all I say! Much respect for that

There is just as much thrill dicing for 5th as there is for 1st or 2nd anyway, and that imo is were the true spirit of racing is like you say Doorman the magic moments in LFS are when there is respect from all parties.

It doesn't happen often but it is always a thrill when someone spectating you or your opponent compliments you on a good clean fight, and that thrill is just as great if you don't come out on top as it's about respect first and winning second.

I only said the 50% thing as a light hearted thing as it has happened when I thought someone was at fualt (I didn't say anything at the time) but when I later viewed the replay could see that i could have read the situation better also

I'm sure we have tangled with each other back in the past eras (S1H demo servers ) because I seem to remember serveral particularly gentalmenly like racers in those days

Quote from fujiwara :Long live the divers...

LOL those types aren't normally faster drivers though but slower ones that believe they are faster divers
Well for me if somone is infront and blue flagged (or even not I like to take the corner wide, get more speed at exit then draft them down the straight, What then frustrates me is they then slow down or move over while I'm trying to draft and make up the time i lost taking the corner slower (especially on asclub). If they don't move on the straight then they lose no time and I end up getting a great next lap I think it works both ways mind, if they do move over before the bend I just take it normally.

As for the chicane, to overtake there I would say you have to trust and know who you are racing, as you can't really blame someone for not being good enough, but if someone is a good driver then its no problem going side by side through chicane.

Well thats my 2 cents worth...
yeah, I know what you mean Doorman, it stinks . Personally, and thankfully , I'm a quick driver and I do try my best to get past other backmarkers in safe places. Just one thing tho that many racers dont seem to understand and thats the idea that I feel that most fast drivers are hotlappers because they don't know how to race good and often do many mistakes.

Personally, I've uploaded a couple of WRs but I only did it because I've been longing to for a long time but in general, I like to get myself fast but also be consistent and a clever racer so I think those who take backmarkers out or say "BLUE FLAG - GET OUT OF THE WAY!" are the ones who are usually hotlappers.

I have to say tho, I find that the treatment can often be reversed as well, with the backmarkers being in the wrong where they don't look in their mirrors when a leader is coming through and then often a big accident happens and the backmarker loses it so I think that both a lot of backmarkers and racers need to be gentlemen.

Oh btw, I often find this kind of behaviour on GTR servers
Quote from -wes- :Nikimere if you outbrake yourself while overtaking then(by your standards) you have lost the right to the racing line,
aren't you now a slower car and shouldn't you get out of the way of the one behind?

Yes, i dont see what your trying to get at?

Quote from -wes- :
Well a trip to hosptial, a nice chat with the race stewards and a hefty fine?

I have be a RL racer for years and this has never stopped me from having a go on a last lap (or any other lap for that matter) if there is a genuine opportunity. If it did then i couldn't call myself a racer.

Quote from -wes- : Their has to be restraint even on the last lap, otherwise we could just slam eachother out of the way.

You keep talking about slamming into people, my point is that you CAN pass in these places without hitting people. Incase your misreading, i'm against people that hit you when overtaking at a chicane. I'm simply stating that it can and has been done.

Quote from -wes- : Give and take not take take take take.

You might see it like that, i dont. I take every (sensible) opportunitiy i've given on the track.
Quote from fujiwara : Long live the divers...

Remind me to put some hot mustard in your fireproof underpants..
:uglyhamme
Quote from Gentlefoot :My server and events all cater for driving of all standards (so long as you have reasonable control over the car) Even if someone is useless and keeps crashing that's fine so long as I can see that the intention to drive clean is there.

See http://www.gentlefoot.com/LFS/forum/index.php for information about leagues and ladders and you will see how it works.

Join GentlefootFormulaRacing and you will recieve help not abuse from the drivers on there.

Hijacker!
I am not a very fast driver but what I hate is that a racer under blue flag ruins my race.
If you have blue flag you are not in the race, you are just training.
Then LET pass fast drivers that want to WIN a race not just train.
You can train offline.
Thanks
Quote from AProst :I am not a very fast driver but what I hate is that a racer under blue flag ruins my race.
If you have blue flag you are not in the race, you are just training.
Then LET pass fast drivers that want to WIN a race not just train.
You can train offline.
Thanks

AProst, that all depends. There are 2 vastly different times that you get a blue flag. The first most usual one is mid-race joining. Yes, at this time, that driver is not in the race and only lapping on the track.

The other one is when you start the race, but are caught by the leaders. The driver in this situation is most definitely in the race and has every right to be on the track. Yes, it is required of him to allow the faster drivers to pass, but he still has the right to be on the track. He may not be racing with the leaders, but he is still racing (usually) for a position, even if it is trying for second to last. Just wanted to point that out.

Doorman, yes, I was quite surprised at your LFS milage. Yet, I could not find a car/track combo with an unusual amount of laps like my FZR at We or AS3. Though, you seem to have pretty much every track covered in LX6. I only checked your stats because you claimed to be a "not so fast" driver. Usually, when someone claims that, I find their PB's to smoke mine, LOL. Judging from your milage vs. laps compared to mine (comparably the same # laps), it looks like you favor the longer tracks, eh?

Oh yeah, @ kev who responded to some of my text with some help and hints. Yes, I of course know that. I know how to get around them. I was talking more in the sense of encountering slower drivers that I don't know well. They seem to run right with me, then surprise me at the apex. Yes, it doesn't take long to get around them, but in 5 lappers, you don't have much time anyways.
I understand your point but with a lap late this driver is very slow and should not block faster drivers overlapping him :-(
The only position he can hope to get is worthless.
But that's only my point of view.
Quote from mrodgers :Oh yeah, @ kev who responded to some of my text with some help and hints. Yes, I of course know that. I know how to get around them. I was talking more in the sense of encountering slower drivers that I don't know well. They seem to run right with me, then surprise me at the apex.

I know what you mean. These days if I'm following a driver I don't know, I brake early to avoid them if they brake early, but I brake lightly so I can catch back up to them by turn-in. After a couple of corners I get an idea how safe they are and then it's usually easy to mug them. The hardest circuits to make a clean pass on a slow car are South City and Westhill though. Not enough margin at South City and not enough braking at Westhill.
Quote from Gentlefoot :My server and events all cater for driving of all standards (so long as you have reasonable control over the car) Even if someone is useless and keeps crashing that's fine so long as I can see that the intention to drive clean is there....

That sounds promising. Thanks Gentlefoot I'll give it a go.
Quote from AProst :I understand your point but with a lap late this driver is very slow and should not block faster drivers overlapping him :-(
The only position he can hope to get is worthless.
But that's only my point of view.

Yes, most definitely, AProst. He shouldn't be blocking any lapping cars. I was just giving the difference of a lap down blue flagged car that started the race and has as much right to be on the track as the leaders compared to someone who enters the track on lap 15 of 20 for instance.
I think the biggest problem is that people think only about their car and overtaking the car infront of them. The overpassed car can either brake or hit the wall for all they care. You should also think about the car you are racing, does he have enough room, where will he go, what will he do. And of course understanding that he has a blind spot on each side and people don't usually check them before going into a corner as it takes time and dissorients you.
When i approach a slower drive, i like to approach them on a streight, never a bend,as i dont want to crash my self.
Quote from [DaEmOn] :When i approach a slower drive, i like to approach them on a streight, never a bend,as i dont want to crash my self.

You can't spell.
Quote from DetonatorLoki :You can't spell.

You can't be serious.

Way to contribute to the forum pal, I always enjoy reading a nice friendly post.
Agreed.

DetonatorLoki - your last set of posts didn't go down to well either, if you can't post something nice, don't post antything at all.
Quote from nikimere :If someone gets fully along side you and is on the inside there is no reason why you shouldn't give them the right of way or even proceed to go side by side through if you trust them.

I agreed with you. But a lot of drivers that were doing the passing forgot that on the exit of the turn (after the apex), they don't leave you room, they just drift back toward the outside, leaving the slower driver no where to go, either he has to hit the passing car or go into the dirt.

DDmak

A plea to fast drivers
(70 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG