Poll : Compulsory Pitstops on Endurance Day

Closed since :
Yes I do want them.
No I don't want them.
Really don't care either way.
Random races have pitstops.
#1 - SamH
Compulsory Pitstops on Endurance Day
This is a PUBLIC poll. More for information than anything. The question has been raised, and it makes sense to field for opinions. Please feel free to post details about your vote.

Please note.. the result of this poll is *NOT* guaranteed to effect a change in CTRA policy. At this stage, the exercise is merely for gathering opinions.
First to vote no here. Many of you know why I say no, I've said it in other threads. Basically, mandatory pitstops in anything under an hour long race results in simply hotlapping. There is no strategy when you just fill with the needed amount and don't need tires. It's just a stop and go. Then you are having a great battle with someone and they come out of the last corner to veer off for pit and you are stuck out there bored running by yourself.

If we could force fuel cell size so that pits need to happen to fill with fuel, then maybe I'd change my mind. But with short races (even endurance at CTRA is too short) then it just ends up a hotlapping session. I like the battles on the track, not the winning with no one around. I could care less the finishing position. My win is when I battle someone no matter what position and take the position on the last lap.
iv oted yes but i also belive the races should be longer, i was in a "endurance" race on the short soc track a few days ago, it was 6 laps with a pit stop wtf.....
I voted don't care...but like SLIDE WAYZ i think endurance races should be longer. 8 laps of so4r is not exactly endurance, and a pit stop really isn't worth it in races that short.
Something like 16(+) laps of so4r with a limited pit window would be much more like it imo.
#5 - col
can I change My vote ?

I said I didn't care, but I do - I want pitstops, they give you a way to overtake crazy idiots without jeapordising your race - just pop into pit early, run some fast laps, and with any luck, you leapfrogged all the mayhem.
#6 - SamH
Quote from col :can I change My vote ?

I can't move your name, but I have moved your vote.
#7 - Gil07
Voted yes, but also would like longer races.
Longer races would be nice yes. But I don't like compulsory pitstops cause there aren't many options right now in LFS. The best way to go would be a splash and dash as late as possible. So in my eyes this has nothing to do with "strategy".
I voted "don't care". The races are not long enough to make fuel or tire wear important. But pitting strategy can be useful for damage strategy. At least, on the Bronze servers on South City tracks it's almost inevitable to get some hits, and it's nice to have a pit stop for repair and to escape the mayhem.
the races aren't long enough to warrent a pit stop imo
Haven't been to CTRA servers for a while. The reason being the compulsory pitstops in races shorter than 30 laps. Or any compulsory stops for that matter. If you can drive the full lenght of the race without pitting that's your gain. If you can't then that's your loss. I want the action to be on the track, not the pits. Exactly the reason I don't care for F1.

So definitely a big NO NO from me.
You do know it only happens one day a week dont you?
#13 - Tomi
maybe you should make real endurance races first, then mandatory pit stops wouldn't be usefull.

28 laps at Fern Club, I call that a sprint race. An endurance race is at least 2 hours long imho.
It's public pickup racing though, for a 2 hour race more organisation and preperation is needed. The CTRA servers already broke the 5 lap mould of LFS - which for a long time outside of the 10 lap Cone Dodgers server nobody would ever do more than 5 laps - the endurance night was just extending it a bit longer and adding a pit stop, that's all it is...

They go up to about three quarters of an hour or so (before it was requested they where shortened), but when you consider that for so long LFS was being played in 5 minute bursts that's a hack of a change.

In the new CTRA system for patch X there will be the opportunity to introduce a longer event format and hopefully make it workable in a public pickup server environment - but I dont want to give too much away yet as to what I am planning.
Quote from Becky Rose :It's public pickup racing though, for a 2 hour race more organisation and preperation is needed. The CTRA servers already broke the 5 lap mould of LFS - which for a long time outside of the 10 lap Cone Dodgers server nobody would ever do more than 5 laps - the endurance night was just extending it a bit longer and adding a pit stop, that's all it is...

They go up to about three quarters of an hour or so (before it was requested they where shortened), but when you consider that for so long LFS was being played in 5 minute bursts that's a hack of a change.

In the new CTRA system for patch X there will be the opportunity to introduce a longer event format and hopefully make it workable in a public pickup server environment - but I dont want to give too much away yet as to what I am planning.

Seems to me that since you withdrew you are more involved then ever, but to the community its a good thing. Dont forget yourself in the process !
Yes it does seem that way. It's a long story, but mostly at the moment i'm finding it all a distraction from my grief which is a good thing.
#17 - Dru
i think that pit stops skill are necessary to improve peoples racing techniques...

that is getting in and out of a pit box cleany, not speeding in the pits and getting a drive through, learinng how to re join safely etc etc..

If these servers are here to provide this sort of racing and a 'ladder' as such to go on where the standard gets hight, then you also need to make people do things that is more that just get a good start and hot lap for 10 laps.

let people work ot strategy (yes startagey even for a 8 lap race) not fuel i mean but when to stop, get people thinkning how long does a pit stop take we, where will i feed back out onto the track - will it be in traffic, or clean air etc etc...

As you can probably tell, i voted yes
Pit stops are a great addition to racing because getting into the pit lane and pit box quickly is a skill as well, you can easily win seconds over a competitor who is bad at pitstops.
The only thing I'd like to see added on the ctra servers is a pit window so there won't be any pit stops in lap 1, which kinda kills the race.
#19 - Dru
Quote from mikey_G :Pit stops are a great addition to racing because getting into the pit lane and pit box quickly is a skill as well, you can easily win seconds over a competitor who is bad at pitstops.
The only thing I'd like to see added on the ctra servers is a pit window so there won't be any pit stops in lap 1, which kinda kills the race.

+1

a pit window is a must stoping at the end of the first lap is imo bad for the race, make a compulsory pit window
#20 - col
Quote from Dru :+1

a pit window is a must stoping at the end of the first lap is imo bad for the race, make a compulsory pit window

If you're starting at the back of a large grid in south city and you are faster than half of the cars in front, then pitting at the end of lap one is a very useful option.

cheers

Col
Quote from col :If you're starting at the back of a large grid in south city and you are faster than half of the cars in front, then pitting at the end of lap one is a very useful option.

Overtaking them on-track wins you more cool points.
Quote from col :If you're starting at the back of a large grid in south city and you are faster than half of the cars in front, then pitting at the end of lap one is a very useful option.

cheers

Col

Then dont start at the back of the grid

If you're really faster then the people in front of you, you can also overtake them.
#23 - Dru
Quote from mikey_G :Then dont start at the back of the grid

lol.

@ Colin,

good point, but i mean the problem is when hte guys at the front also stop at the end of lap one
#24 - col
Quote from thisnameistaken :Overtaking them on-track wins you more cool points.

nah, you get the cool points from overtaking the fast guys at the front
nobody notices you getting past the slow half of the pack - unless you get involved in an accident :|
#25 - Dru
Quote from col :nah, you get the cool points from overtaking the fast guys at the front
nobody notices you getting past the slow half of the pack - unless you get involved in an accident :|

i thought you got points for any position change regardless of whether it was on track or in pits?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG