The online racing simulator
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I agree. Interesting how a Microsoft product doesnt work properly in a microsoft environment. It's pretty whack. I'll have to find a cheap logitech PS2 styled one and toss this piece of garbage.
Quote from CSU1 :XboX Controllers
If you use an XboX controller with LFS you will find that youre fingers will deform in a horrible way due to the unergonomic design of the pad.
I done some testing with these pads and have not found a driver that functions right. In actual fact some of the drivers available for the xbox pad cause minor conflicts with your pc and cause you to lag while racing! no joke.

That is so untrue, I've used my xbox controller for months and it is a 100 times easer then keyboard/mouse or joystick. atleast thats my personal opinion lol
I agree the shape is personal preferance. And any controller/pad must be better than Keyboad/mouse

So anyway I went and bought a USB logitech dual action controller. It has a totally different response feel on the analogue stick compared to the Xbox360 controller. I could swap between the two using the same LFS settings, quickly re-calibrate and the Xbox360 pad is soooooooo much more twitchy. I only had to make micromillimeter movements to steer. Its like the whole centre 50% area is amplified 3 or four times in the Xbox Pad sticks. I guess this wouldn't be a problem if LFS allowed a more adjustable range of sensitivity. Even the PS2 pad took me a few months to get used to how sensitive it is and I still find myself steering too far all the time. I wish LFS could tone down the sensistivity much more.

Maybe the XBCD drivers would have rectified all this, but I could not get them to work. I got a full refund on the PowerWave Brand Xbox360 wired USB controller. I really wanted it to work, as the analogue triggers for accelerate/brake would have been real handy. The default supplied drivers only allow the triggers to be used as digital buttons, same for windows drivers.
Good thread.

Unfortunately I went out and bought a genuine wired 360 controller. I too find it extremely twitchy.

People have mentioned XBCD drivers? What are these? Are these the default drivers from microsoft? I downloaded something from microsoft, but all it was was a program that brings up the xbox symbol when I press the green round button on the controller, and LFS did not like it. With the XBCD drivers, could one change the sensitivity of the controller in windows?

Also, is it possible to have the left and right triggers as seperate axis? At the moment, default is combined, and I can not find any option to change it in windows.

Thanks alot for your help guys, glad I found this thread.

Also to others, I do have a Logitech DFP, just I'm away from home for a long period of time and wanna play LFS on my laptop I have absolutely no doubt in highly reccomending a proper wheel set up to anyone that still believes a gamepad is suffice!
Quote from Plastik8 :People have mentioned XBCD drivers? What are these?

From> http://www.lfsforum.net/report.php?p=61516
>>>> http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/

Quote :With the XBCD drivers, could one change the sensitivity of the controller in windows?

Most likely

Quote :Also, is it possible to have the left and right triggers as seperate axis?

YES: Using XBCD360 drivers

But I couldn't install the XBCD drivers, mainly because I could not get windows to remove the devices as per the instructions, as they weren't in the device manager as described. Maybe your laptop will work. Maybe I had the wrong version of DirectX(9.0b) I dunno. I got a refund from EB Games and bought a LogiTech Dual Action for $50AUD.
Quote from JasonJ :From> http://www.lfsforum.net/report.php?p=61516
>>>> http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/

Most likely

YES: Using XBCD360 drivers

But I couldn't install the XBCD drivers, mainly because I could not get windows to remove the devices as per the instructions, as they weren't in the device manager as described. Maybe your laptop will work. Maybe I had the wrong version of DirectX(9.0b) I dunno. I got a refund from EB Games and bought a LogiTech Dual Action for $50AUD.

That site looks awesome, thanks alot.

I also baught the Logitech Dual Analogue Rumble Wireless (Cant remember exact name) from EB for $46 - got them to price match - but didn't bring it with me OS. Picked up a genuine 360 wired controller here for about $33AUD so it's not too bad I guess. And you definitely can set right and left triggers to be independent. Thanks alot for the link, will try it when I get back to Tokyo on Sunday.
Quote from CSU :If you use an XboX controller with LFS you will find that youre fingers will deform in a horrible way due to the unergonomic design of the pad.

Bah, I find that bs sir . I haven't tried LFS with my XB controller or any PC game with it in fact but I found that I got used to it playing games like Forza, PGR 2 and Rallisport Challenge 2. I admit that after a while, the section between my middle and ring finger on my right hand starts to hurt because of the gap formed between the A,B,X,Y buttons and the right trigger, I only get this [sometimes] but usually not. I found that the controller S is a lot less strenous altho I just don't think the light feel of the triggers allows for smooth throttle and brake input. I wanna get a wheel for my XB anyway but I'm just saying my say for that good 'ole XB pad.

NOTE: I also have quite big hands so maybe thats why I don't have problems with the pad
#33 - CSU1
Quote from Leprekaun :Bah, I find that bs sir . I haven't tried LFS with my XB controller or any PC game with it in fact but I found that I got used to it playing games like Forza, PGR 2 and Rallisport Challenge 2. I admit that after a while, the section between my middle and ring finger on my right hand starts to hurt because of the gap formed between the A,B,X,Y buttons and the right trigger, I only get this [sometimes] but usually not. I found that the controller S is a lot less strenous altho I just don't think the light feel of the triggers allows for smooth throttle and brake input. I wanna get a wheel for my XB anyway but I'm just saying my say for that good 'ole XB pad.

NOTE: I also have quite big hands so maybe thats why I don't have problems with the pad

I dont understand, you agree that the xb controllers hurt your hands after a while of use, but still slander my statement as bullshit you said you yourself even have big hands, imagine what a girl or a youngster would feel like. I'll stand by my statement

Anyway this guide will be of no use to anyone on after Friday I expect, so I really could not give a shite tbh, no one else seems to.
I'm just saying that and if you look carefully in my post [sometimes] they do, but its rare.
Quote from CSU1 :Anyway this guide will be of no use to anyone on after Friday I expect.....

Sorry to be a pest , but why mate?
Edit: Ah, I see your having controller issues with test patches. Hope you can get it sorted. If its any help my Sony PS2 Pad with USB converter still works in W test patches. I'm up to W32. I just use Windows controller pad drivers that self installed. I will have a look tongith to see if steer smooth operates as it always has in previous patches. I use 0.8 smoothing and I noticed no differece at first glance.

FWIW, I found this guide useful and so did alot of other people.
Aha, the xbox360 controller is definetly a pain in the ass with LFS... I find myself doing 360s all the time, very hard to make fine corrections to your driving.

Can't wait until I get a G25 or DFP.
I see this guide is now marked "obsolete", but with a few small updates it would actually be fine and still useful for many people.
I'd think adding the latest improvent (analog steer smooth 0.95) and a bit of info about what deadzone removal does might do the trick....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG