The online racing simulator
Better Player Name Display
(48 posts, started )

Poll : Would you like to see new player names in LFS?

Nice!!!!!!!
Nice, could be done better tho (please post)
No way, me armish and like ye olde ones.
Definatly +1!

This looks WAAAY better then that ugly green plain HUGE text above the cars right now.
I'm liking the revised labels with country flags more, they look great.

I too would prefer if the name labels stayed in the mirrors though, rather than moving around the edge of the screen.
I would prefer that having the flag next to the name stays the player's choice!
+1 :d
i like very much
#31 - FL!P
Quote from matze54564 :But this cheatlike player-name display cant be realized IRL. IRL can you see more details, thats true, this is why the playernames over car how it be at time barely acceptable.

Sorry but I disagree. If you have a pit crew and pit radio, IRL, they let you know who's ahead and who's behind you. Since we don't have a pit crew, the ability to display names is a good alternative.

Besides, IRL they don't have to identify wreckers or newbies. I don't display names during league races, but I often use them on open servers, particularly during quali sessions as the positions list doesn't tell who's around you. If I've been crashed a couple of times by a newbie who spun as I overkook him, for example, I want to be able to recognize him the next time I catch him, so I can be extra careful.
im surprised no one has touched what is imho the biggest issue with the name display which is that it appears to be gforce dependent
it can look rather silly with 2 bf1s side by side on the oval the name of the inner driver is right above the car on the outside
#34 - joen
Quote from FL!P :Sorry but I disagree. If you have a pit crew and pit radio, IRL, they let you know who's ahead and who's behind you. Since we don't have a pit crew, the ability to display names is a good alternative.

Yes, the pitcrew tells you who is ahead and behind, but they aren´t constantly telling you at which exact location they are behind you. maybe in oval racing
+1 To the names with the flags, maybe some color editing to fit LFS though; blues and whites and yellows, and it could look fantastic!
+0.5
I like the general idea (especially with flags), but I wouldn't want the names floating on the side/bottom to show players beside or behind you. It could be abused as a small "radar" system and I don't like that.
With all due respect to those who say "floating" name plates are equivalent to a small radar system, please think about the fact that (mentioned above) real drivers *DO* look into the mirrors frequently so they have their "own" radar system. Additionally they do have a much wider field of view and a natural peripheral perspective.

Also remember those plates arent visible all the time - they become visible as soon as you can see the driver in one of your mirrors. So it does *not* act like a radar system which makes stuff visible even if you can't normally see it.

- Plates are invisible if you can't see the players car in one of your mirrors or windows

- If a player is appearing in your mirror, the plates become slightly visible and the closer the player comes to you, the more visible the plates are. Same thing if the player is distancing, the plates become invisible.

In my opinion, floating plates are advantageous for helping people to prevent crashes. Can't see anything unreal or cheat-like in there because we all have disadvantages in comparison to "real" drivers.
#38 - joen
Quote from reetp :they become visible as soon as you can see the driver in one of your mirrors.

So what´s the point of it then? If they appear when they appear in your mirrors at the same time it´s just overdone.
I understand it *could* contribute to clean driving, but in my opinion it would be artificial. The responsibility for clean driving lies with the racers, not with a system.

BTW: I really like the improved names display with flags though
I really like the way the last 2 of those options look. I think the idea of fading as the car pulls away from you too.

But I do agree that the names shouldn't be around the edges of the screen. If you don't pay attention to the cars in your mirror, you're not going to pay any more attention to names on the screen.

But for the way they look? Oh yes, +1.
#40 - wark
LFS shouldn't try to simulate "racing with a head brace and blinders."

Sure you can look around in LFS, but you can't keep an eye on the road in front of you while you do it, ergo it's not realistic.

I say you should at least get the little name indicator if you would normally be able to see the driver with ~180° FOV. Low FOVs in LFS are just more realistic aside from the obvious loss of periphery.

IRL I would know that car was next to me without looking through a fisheye lens--why shouldn't I be able to in LFS?
I see your point reetp, but if drivers in real racing have peripheral vision and more or less constant knowledge of where the cars around him are, then by all means we should get the same in LFS by using a more sophisticated monitor system, VR headset or maybe beamers in a round room. Or if they do look into the mirrors frequently, then we should too.

Showing the names like that, even if only for cars in the mirror, is essentially a radar - there's no denying that. "But real drivers have..." is really no argument, by the same logic we could say "But real drivers have the seat in the pants feel, lets simplify the physics or add a little steering help to simulate the 'automatic' reaction of a race driver to grip loss". Sure, compromises have to be made, like for example the current tyre sounds that are a bit louder than IRL to help sensing grip loss, but we have to draw a line somewhere. A louder tyre sound is still a rather minor change where you have to do most of the thinking and acting, but a name tag essentially saying "watch out dumbass, there's a driver besides you" is going too far in my opinion.
#42 - wark
+1

The one with the flags and without border / background sure is a keeper!
Name display should be for identification only, not so you can tell if there is a car near you.
I REALLY like the idea of little country flags next to the nick.. really nice idea.. although, most of the time i drive with Shift + F, it would be nice to have this... My brother sometimes watches me drive, and he is always amazed that i race against people from all over the world, he didn't belived me earlier, that i can have bumper to bumper race against a guy from US, so these flags would amaze him even more..

Flags FTW!
Imho, it is enough (for me, at least) if you would see the flags in the race results only
I'd like to see this 1st example in game, but names over car not under! And on right side flag...
Quote from reetp :...
And for those who worry about the added "unrealism", what about the reset car feature? Shouldn't that be like calling a caterpillar at the radio instead of a 0.001 second quick restore to the track?

You will be happy to know that the reset matter has been dealt with in Version X, comming to a store near you soon.

The flags just look like something else to obscure the cars infront. Like the box around the name. I would prefer a skinner font like in your last pic, but the country flags would get in my way of seeing. (on/off flags option would be good) I dont like the names racing all around the edge of my screen idea for various reasons suggested here and they would annoy me akin to a swarm of flies buzzing me

The fact that some names can be soo long is annoying to. You have people with uber long names and a few side by side means you can't see any cars, just names overlapping making a scrambled mess of text. So I have to turn off names just to see where the traffic is in these cases. (this is most apparent when there is a bunch of cars about 20 meters ahead or so)

so +1 to skinner text (and keep them above the cars)

Better Player Name Display
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG