The online racing simulator
Master server moved again (and websites too now)
Hello racers,

This post is to inform you that the master server has moved once more. We are in fact moving all our websites too, because we are moving our servers to a new location, so we will have room to expand.

Therefore the master IP has changed and the DNS that points to the master will have to be updated around the globe. This usually doesn't have to take very long, but in some cases can take a while.

If you don't see the new master's list of games, and you only see the old master server, with a smaller list of games that doesn't match what you can see at LFS World, then don't worry, your DNS will soon be updated. But if your ISP is delayed and you absolutely must get on the new one in a hurry, you can edit your "hosts" file in Windows (a sort of fake DNS system on your computer) adding the line :

213.40.20.2 master.liveforspeed.net

On WinXP, the hosts file is located at :

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Good luck!

PS 1 - for reference, here's the previous master-move thread : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=18846 - it may contain some useful information in case of trouble
PS 2 - I tried to make this move transparent, using a tcp proxy to forward traffic from old to new location, but it doesn't seem to work as expected unfortunately
#2 - X-Ter
Thanks for the update and thanks for all your hard work. Appreciate it
I knew you were up to something, nice to hear the "infrastructure" is expanding
#4 - word.
Hi Victor.

Do you have an ETA on when the LFS website will be back up?

I just purchased an S2 license, and then it went back to the LFS site after a successful visa transaction, and it said "SITE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE"
Argh that's bad timing

The site should be back up in about 30 minutes.
Ill make sure your payment will be processed then as well.
Quote from Victor :Hello racers,

This post is to inform you that the master server has moved once more. We are in fact moving all our websites too, because we are moving our servers to a new location, so we will have room to expand.

Therefore the master IP has changed and the DNS that points to the master will have to be updated around the globe. This usually doesn't have to take very long, but in some cases can take a while.

If you don't see the new master's list of games, and you only see the old master server, with a smaller list of games that doesn't match what you can see at LFS World, then don't worry, your DNS will soon be updated. But if your ISP is delayed and you absolutely must get on the new one in a hurry, you can edit your "hosts" file in Windows (a sort of fake DNS system on your computer) adding the line :

213.40.20.2 master.liveforspeed.net

On WinXP, the hosts file is located at :

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Good luck!

PS 1 - for reference, here's the previous master-move thread : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=18846 - it may contain some useful information in case of trouble
PS 2 - I tried to make this move transparent, using a tcp proxy to forward traffic from old to new location, but it doesn't seem to work as expected unfortunately

Don't worry about the changes in the master ip server, i guess is better and a great work for all of us, almost is easy edit the file hosts in 'windows/system32/drivers/etc' for people that host the servers (thats the reason for we are admin's :razz. Great Job !!!

Greatings and congratulations from LFS México & Colombia

www.automovilismovirtual.com
WebMaster.
#7 - word.
Quote from Victor :Argh that's bad timing

The site should be back up in about 30 minutes.
Ill make sure your payment will be processed then as well.

Thank-you for the quick reply

I can't wait to play S2 lol.
Just clicked my link to LFS World and was nearly blown off my seat by the load times....we are now talking milliseconds instead of minutes!!
If the master server is going to be this quick, I wont have to wait 2 or 3 laps to see the famous "LFSW: Bladerunner drove a new pb" message!!

Great job Victor
#9 - joen
Wow, indeed! LFSWorld is much, much faster Thanks Victor
I can't access the main LFS site yet. Could it be that my local DNS hasn't updated? Is there a direct ip address that I can put into the address bar to access the LFS site?

thanks for any help =]
glad to hear. It should indeed be a big improvement.

There may be some issues though now that the websites have moved. For example something changed in mysql behaviour I just found out, so i have to update some things here and there.
Also the url of the main website has changed in to www.lfs.net - it can be that there are some stray urls still using liveforspeed.net for some odd reason. If you see anything weird, please let me know.
-
(Blackout) DELETED by Blackout
I don't know if I'm the only one, but Firefox has a little trouble with the background of lfs.net. Tested in Internet Explorer works fine though!

The background doesn't show aligned after the move (header and body?). Don't know what could have caused this...
Quote :If you see anything weird, please let me know.

I saw SamH racing last night, he's wierd. Does that count?
Quote :I just purchased an S2 license

Welcome .

I dont know whether i'm imagining it, but the forums do appear to be faster now
Quote from Paranoid Android :I don't know if I'm the only one, but Firefox has a little trouble with the background of lfs.net. Tested in Internet Explorer works fine though!

The background doesn't show aligned after the move. Don't know what could have caused this...

a screenshot would be nice, so I can see what you mean

Wow many things look weird on the page now...maybe it's my firefox screwing around?I'll reinstall if no one can confirm this...
Attached images
lfs.net.JPG
wow - humm - that looks quite weird indeed. Not sure what it could be though.

did a couple of ctrl-f5's at least?
#17 - joen
Quote from Paranoid Android :

Wow many things look weird on the page now...maybe it's my firefox screwing around?I'll reinstall if no one can confirm this...

try pressing CTRL-F5 first

I'm using Firefox, looks fine here.

edit: victor beats me

Quote from word. :Is there a direct ip address that I can put into the address bar to access the LFS site?

Quote from Paranoid Android :

Maybe you have Greasemonkey with some scripts installed? It can affect your design too. Looks perfect with FF 2 by the way.

Quote from Victor :Also the url of the main website has changed in to www.lfs.net - it can be that there are some stray urls still using liveforspeed.net for some odd reason.

Like the one in your sig?
Sorry guys, did a clean install again and it worked fine...(ctrl f5 didn't do anything though)
What a coincidence that it happened on the switch!
I was just worried because I had been on the page some days ago and it worked fine...
Sorry again!
I'm having problems with the site too. ctrl F5 doesn't help

argh I can't PM Victor, so I'll say in this thread:
I just purchased an S2 license with a credit card. It says I have no unlocks left and that I must wait until next friday? 1 whole week? is this normal?
Attached images
lfs.JPG
Tested OK in: Avante; Firefox; Opera.
Quote from word. :I'm having problems with the site too. ctrl F5 doesn't help

I just purchased an S2 license with a credit card. It says I have no unlocks left and that I must wait until next friday? 1 whole week? is this normal?

Maybe there are some issues with the licenses right now, because a) you're still a demo racer on the forums, b) the black area on your screenshot usually displays your license (yes, a custom image only for you) and c) you have this unlock issue.
Just wait a bit, I'm sure Victor will have it fixed soon

At your question: You normally start with 3 unlocks.
i can't connect to our server,

it fails on connecting to host

is this what is happening to everyone else, or do we have another problem
Quote from word. :I'm having problems with the site too. ctrl F5 doesn't help

sorry i forgot to give you your unlocks - you can unlock now though.

I'll look into the website issue
EDIT - I think it'll work now
Thank you SO MUCH. Its all working good now, including the web site.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG