The online racing simulator
The Base Setup Project - Chat area
(39 posts, started )
Yeah, most, if not all, of the open-wheel sets on Inferno are designed to last just 1, MAYBE 2 laps.

As I mentioned above, the sets I posted are real race sets. The fact that one of them happens to be the one I used to set a WR is irrelevent. As a matter of fact, that one happens to have max tire pressure front and rear.
#27 - Woz
Quote from Forbin :Yeah, most, if not all, of the open-wheel sets on Inferno are designed to last just 1, MAYBE 2 laps.

As I mentioned above, the sets I posted are real race sets. The fact that one of them happens to be the one I used to set a WR is irrelevent. As a matter of fact, that one happens to have max tire pressure front and rear.

I have kept track of where all sets have come from so I might start to ease back the number of inferno sets as I get more race pace sets in if that does not tone out the hotlap feeling in some of them and see where that leads me.

The other thing at the moment is that some tracks have a higher number of related setups than others and this can effect the set balance more in favour of that track.
I just wanted to give you some feedback Woz.

I was at a loss to find a set for FXR @ Aston Cadet for an upcoming league race...... in desperation (no offence) I d/l'ed your base sets and after maybe 5 laps I had a set that was stable, quick enough for me over a race distance and seems to look after tyres. (AS1 is a killer on FXR's front right)

Now granted I did some fiddling to get it to this point, but unless I am way off here, isn't that the idea of your base sets?

I found the base set gave me an excellent point of reference to start making changes from, and I am also confident if I started with this set at say BL or SO then it wouldn't take long to get a similar result, and that is a good thing in my book.

Keep up the good work mate
Hmm, this is kind of an interesting idea, but I share others concern that it is unlikely to result in setups that are any better than a manually created setup.

However, I think there could be some interesting research done on the dataset that you gather, but simply averaging values probably wont reveal anything very interesting.

What might be interesting however, is to produce some statistical data on certain parameters and extrapolated behaviours. For example, we can fairly easily determine things like basic spring balance, aero balance, critical damping percentages, top speed, etc, from the setup data. A statistical analysis of the range of these parameters, cross referenced against track say, could be pretty interesting.

Also, you could plot one setting against another setting, to determine things like how much more basic spring oversteer do you need to add when using a locked diff ? Or what is the average critical damping percentages used at different tracks to determine people's response to different bumpiness profiles ?

I would suggest dumping all the data into a database and running some more complex queries on it.
#30 - Woz
Quote from colcob :Hmm, this is kind of an interesting idea, but I share others concern that it is unlikely to result in setups that are any better than a manually created setup.

However, I think there could be some interesting research done on the dataset that you gather, but simply averaging values probably wont reveal anything very interesting.

What might be interesting however, is to produce some statistical data on certain parameters and extrapolated behaviours. For example, we can fairly easily determine things like basic spring balance, aero balance, critical damping percentages, top speed, etc, from the setup data. A statistical analysis of the range of these parameters, cross referenced against track say, could be pretty interesting.

Also, you could plot one setting against another setting, to determine things like how much more basic spring oversteer do you need to add when using a locked diff ? Or what is the average critical damping percentages used at different tracks to determine people's response to different bumpiness profiles ?

I would suggest dumping all the data into a database and running some more complex queries on it.

This has gone a little quiet at the moment, need more setups and they flow has stopped. I will probably put the shout out again after the test patch goes final so I can start to get details on the preload people are using.
Good luck if you're waiting fo those WR holders... what I would do instead in asking esthablised teams to get you some of their sets
#32 - Woz
Quote from Riders Motion :Good luck if you're waiting fo those WR holders... what I would do instead in asking esthablised teams to get you some of their sets

I have contacted some teams and some have helped, others have said they would and then went silent.

Once the new X patch comes out and has had time to settle and people have got to grips with the new clutch pack diffs I will shout again.
Hi Woz, just wondered if you had any luck or time to progress on the BSP front? I'm personally quite interested in your results...
#34 - P4U7
Yep, I am keen for an update if possible as well.
#35 - dev
Will this get updated?
#36 - Woz
Everything went a little quiet on this as I didnt get enough interest from people sending setups. Then real life took hold for a while so it went to sleep.

Once the new patch has settled in for a little while I will bring it back to life and start building a new set of setup files. I need to tweak the setup file reader or patch X as well as any changes in the current one.

With the current setups I think the suspension settings on the whole work well. The cars sit well on the road and for a general set work well on all but the tightest tracks or KY1.

The weak point at the moment is the diff settings. I wanted to use the clutch pack diff in my settings as I think locked is just wrong for a race car. Trouble is most of the sets used Locked at the time so I didnt get enough of a sample so I just picked figures out of a hat.

I have tweaked my personal sets I use to give better control. Most of that has been increase preload to get the right balance as most are set far too low which make the cars prone to oversteer. Preload takes that out but introduces push understeer in most of the RWD when wound up too far.

Now I know there are still people interested I will look at bringing back to life in public again
#37 - dev
Thank you!
Hey Woz,

I am also interested in this project continuing from both a personal and an admin perspective. I have actually used some of your old BSP sets in an number of ways including using a slightly modified one for a league race as well as circuit orientation and combo testing as part of my admin roles, where time spent developing a comfy set is time lost testing the combo to see if it will produce a good event.

I totally understand & empathise with the issues you face with such an exercise, I too hate the locked diff (alien) mentality but until real race diff's are recoded in LFS to be quicker this will continue to be a problem. I also feel that obtaining race sets will always prove difficult as teams and individuals seem to keep them pretty close to there chests compared to HL sets, mind you many a race set start life as a HL / Qual set anyway imho. I have heard that Inferno now accept race sets in the setup field but again I am not to sure how successful this will be.

The other aspect to these BSP sets is their use in a fixed set event / series. I see you have raised the idea of being able to lock setups over in the improvements thread and a group of us Aussies who compete in the MNR are currently in deep discussion about this very aspect, If you want come and have a look here, start from Pg2: http://www.ozbee-racing.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2209

Anyway once you get this of the ground again let me know and I will see what I can do to assist you.
:)
i'm watching this one

The Base Setup Project - Chat area
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG