The online racing simulator
Help!!!! Im new
(17 posts, started )
Help!!!! Im new
Just discovered this great game but have to use the keyboard. As you can imaging it aint easy as wheel spin and oversteer are an obvious problem.
so anyone got any ideas to help me enjoy the game using the keyboard??
No. Buy a wheel.

Seriously, keyboard steering needs altered setups and is IMO much harder than simply using a wheel, so without patience and MUCH MUCH practice you ain't going to be competitive. I would give you setup advices but as I don't use anything but the wheel for steering I don't really have any. You may want to try the mouse, though, because it lets you steer much more precisely than with the keyboard.

If you have any other questions, regarding setup, etc. you may want to look in the (unofficial) S2 manual, respectively in the LFS Wiki for an online version.

PS: Don't let the online behaviour of most demo racers fool you into thinking this game is pure wrecking carnage. It's much better as soon as you're liscensed
i was worried that was the solution...

Thanks anyway. Looks like i had better practice a lot
You could get a cheapo non-forcefeedback wheel, I think some people have got them pretty cheap from Ebay etc.

If you want the best though (forcefeedback)- Logitech Driving Force Pro (The GT4 one).

Welcome to the best racing sim ever! (in most people's opinions )
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
thanks all you racer dudes. Very helpful. See you all on the track. I'll be the one using keyboard and all over the place
You know, I bought a $20 Logitech Wingman RumblePad 2 on eBay. If you don't have money or space for a wheel, a good analog gamepad is a viable option. However, wheel is still the best controller to use, honestly.
Heck, I bought a MS Sidewinder wheel, new, for $20. No force feeback, but it's been perfectly fine otherwise. In hindsight I wish I got something with FFB, but for an expirimental initial buy I'd highly recommend it.
just played using the mouse and after a few goes im kinda keeping up with the big boys
#9 - bbman
I also started with mouse... Now, I own a R440 and so far, it didn't disappointed me...
i played with the setup a bit a reduced the brake tension. really helps. Not sure how to stop the car pulling left or right though?? I even won a race!!!
Pulling left-right in general, or under braking?

You could try to increase the center steering reduction (or whatever it was called) to gain more precision around the middle of the steering range, or when it's caused by the braking, move the brake bias more forward so your rears don't lock up.
thanks for the advice.

When i brake the car veers off to the left or right depending on my angle. Got brakes set on 65% front as most car games i play seems to work fine.

any advice?
Well, it depends on wether you drive RWD or FWD cars, and where their engine is located.

FWD cars have the bias more to the rear, as engine braking will increase front braking anyways.

RWD cars have it more to the front, because engine braking brakes the rear wheels.

Front engined cars also have more brake strength at the front, where the weight of the engine increases grip, vice versa for rear engined cars (which you don't have in the demo anyways).

Soo, besides that, we can obviously see that "most car games" != LFS

In LFS 65% brake balance is way too much to the rear, altast for the demo cars. For these a value between 70 and 80 is ok. You can easily test it by going full throttle down the straight, then hit F (activates the force view - hit again to deactivate) and start braking (in a perfectly straight line if possible). If the rear wheels start locking first (red "arrows") the brake bias is too much to the rear. It's much easier to drive if the fronts start locking first, but ideally (for drivers with digital brakes) the wheels shouldn't lock at all, even under slight turning. Granted, you lose a bit at brake distance, but the increased stability will make up for it.
I used KB for the first one and a half months i had the game and its just really difficult! U can definently still go very fast but a simple mistake can be so costly with the limited control u have with a KB. I suggest to def buy a wheel in the near future because that just makes LFS a trully amazing sim!!!!
just bought a Playsyation 2 controller to PC adaptor and after 2 hours adjusting the controlls/setup i am finally competitive!!!!! And have to say this game is the best!

And to make things better some nice chap sent me his setup! How cool is that! Im def gonna buy a license now. How can i not? Prob is my mrs's is getting a bit pissed offillepall
Spend a week at the pub, she'll soon warm up to the idea your home but glued to the pc
like it!!! Thanks

Help!!!! Im new
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG