The online racing simulator
TEST Patch W21 (compatible with W17)
(168 posts, closed, started )
Quote from felplacerad :add an option in misc or whatever where you can turn the shortcuts legend on or off.

Why talking about this, i think thats not important to spend time with it. Nothing is taken, just the Hotkeys are added. Thats just a improvement. In every windows application are the hotkeys displayed at the menu, thats a good add. Just the Font size is a bit to big, but this disturb nothing.
Quote from Scawen :No. It confused me every time I wanted to spectate, that I could not press a key. And I had to think "what the hell is that pits key" every time I wanted to go to the pits... "oh yeah, settings". This is better. Better do these things sooner rather than later. What on earth could be the spectate key if it wasn't S?

Well I gotta agree with blowtus on this one, shift-s is a very ergonomic bind which by now I can hit without even looking and I´m sure I´m not the only one.
TBH I don´t know any better binds for spectate (shift-x for exit race might work but its too close to s) but either way imho changing a keystroke people use all the time at this stage is an issue.

Hm just though of one command which might just work for spectating, admitedly by itself it doesnt have any logical connection to spectating but ctrl-c just might be somthing that´s easily remembered, fits the shape of a hand and relates to getting out of whatever you´re currently in.

Quote from matze54564 :In every windows application are the hotkeys displayed at the menu

theres an idea
underlining the keys needed instead of spelling the shortcut out
Quote from matze54564 :Why

It was a response to the discussion on page 3. The legend is a new addition; so lets discuss it when it's still on topic.
Quote from Shotglass :theres an idea
underlining the keys needed instead of spelling the shortcut out

And how to underline a 'p' in the german localisation "box"?
Quote from Shotglass :Well I gotta agree with blowtus on this one, shift-s is a very ergonomic bind

Why should spectating after crash not be the most ergonomic Hotkey? Going to pits when a player connecting is not yet possible, but going to spectators is possible. This is why cars after crash should going to spectators and not to pits. Furthermore is a Teleport to pits much more unrealistic than going to spectators. Because IRL is coming a helicopter which fly u in the next hospital. And we have already the ability /spec which can bind with a key, but this is just for the advanced people.

Quote from Shotglass :underlining the keys needed instead of spelling the shortcut out

How should then the noob know that this underlined letter can used together with shift??????

Please Please stop the discussion about this, there is absolutely no sense in any discussion about!!
Quote from GeForz :And how to underline a 'p' in the german localisation "box"?

Yeah, underlining won't work because of the translations. Maybe just add the key in brackets.
Two short questions about InSim:

1. Will the information about node and lap in the NodeLap structure be separated? In CompCar it's separated.

2. Does PLID and uniqueId have the same meaning?
Quote from GeForz :And how to underline a 'p' in the german localisation "box"?

you could overline the b so that if you turn your head it will look sort of like an underlined p
but yeah youre right this wont work and changing ther key combination with every translation would be even worse

Quote from matze54564 :Why should spectating after crash not be the most ergonomic Hotkey? Going to pits when a player connecting is not yet possible, but going to spectators is possible. This is why cars after crash should going to spectators and not to pits. Furthermore is a Teleport to pits much more unrealistic than going to spectators. Because IRL is coming a helicopter which fly u in the next hospital. And we have already the ability /spec which can bind with a key. But this is just for the advanced people.

everybody will still either go directly to the pits or got to spectate and then curse himself for still not remembering the new hotkey
all this does is add confusion by changing a hotkey which has been there ever since the very first public lfs version
Quote from Shotglass :all this does is add confusion by changing a hotkey which has been there ever since the very first public lfs version

Yes, we all know this. But cant you see that going to spectate is more important than teleporting to pits? Isn't it better to have some confusion for a great improvement than have no confusion for no improvement?
Quote from Shotglass :you could overline the b so that if you turn your head it will look sort of like an underlined p
but yeah youre right this wont work and changing ther key combination with every translation would be even worse

I don't think it would be that complicated to have a special character indicate the shortcut in a translation - though it's more coding for Scawen and he's already said he'd like to get Patch X out soon - so if it's easier, the shortcut keys could be hidden from a misc option.
Quote from matze54564 :Yes, we all know this. But cant you see that going to spectate is more important than teleporting to pits? Isn't it better to have some confusion for a great improvement than have no confusion for no improvement?

its not an improvement and people will still pit directly rather than doing anything else
I don't see anything wrong in changing the telepit shortcut - it makes more sense and it's not like the combination is harder to hit (there's a second shift key on your keyboard, you know), neither does confusing them have any noteworthy effect on gameplay, as your race is over after a telepit the same way it is after spectating. Yes, you'll probably accidentally spec for some time, but I really doubt that it will take long to adapt, nor that LFS will suddenly become less fun because the friggin telepit shortcut has changed.

Though I agree, showing the shortcuts in the menu doesn't look very pretty. It might make more sense to implement a tooltip system (and use it everywhere in LFS) to show such kind of info, because after seeing it the first time it's pretty much wasted space that unnecessarily clutters up the UI.
Quote from Shotglass :its not an improvement and people will still pit directly rather than doing anything else

People want sometimes the wrong! i have everything said why it is a improvement, everybody can read it, i don´t want say it again. We should close the discussion about and i wanna have the last word, thats true.
So sorry. It´s an improvement suggestion.

Let´s say 30 ppl. are racing and the rest is spectating. Some are laggy. Voluntarily they won´t leave the server...
Looking at the small bars it´s very hard to tell who it is. For players as for server admins.
Would it be a lot of work to put something beside the player names on the connection list?
Fx. players ping in milliseconds or a "lights indication" mayby ?
Green for ok ping, Yellow for decent and red for bad ping?

Just delete the post if irrelevant/offtopic.

Bye
Quote from AndroidXP :wasted space that unnecessarily clutters up the UI.

Why do you need space in this place, there is alot more free space for more buttons. A tool tip system is not needed, its just spending time.

Edit, sorry, my plan was to put this answer in my other posting, this release is accidental.
Replay OOS error
Quote from LupusC :Two short questions about InSim:

1. Will the information about node and lap in the NodeLap structure be separated? In CompCar it's separated.

1. Better post it in the programmers section.
2. shoudl be from what i know
Dont know if its abad think but captured my crashscreen anyway.
My interent connection went bad and lfs crashed after losing connection to the server i was on.
Attached images
W21 error.bmp
Has anyone else experienced a black screen at times when going from windowed to full screen mode (shift+F4) & vice-versa?

Has occurred around 5 times in the past 2 days with patch W21, sound is still working but graphics disappear. Requires a shutdown and restart of LFS.
I just had a race with a friend of mine in w21 for the second night in a row, and we both had to download the same skins again. Considering I've paid for 6000 skins, am I going to get ripped off here by redownloading them over and over?

also, the shift+p pits thing is a little frustrating but I suppose we'll get used to it. I don't care if it's not as easy to hit - since when should teleporting to the pits be such a reflex command anyway? My main issue now though, is that you can't hit the enter key to exit the pits now - Please give the OK button focus when in pits so the enter key will select it. It's very annoying to have to use the mouse just to hit one button!
Quote from matze54564 :Please Please stop the discussion about this, there is absolutely no sense in any discussion about!!

Yes, thanks you, it is getting boring. I already noted that it's too cramped in finnish, and said that I'm not going to change the keys.

Quote from LupusC :Two short questions about InSim:

As GeForz said, we have a special thread to discuss InSim in the programmers section, where it is more peaceful to talk about programming things.

1) No, they will not be separated. That is a highly compressed packet.

2) PLID is the player unique id. UCID is the connection unique id.

Quote from Shotglass :all this does is add confusion by changing a hotkey which has been there ever since the very first public lfs version

You've already said that, and I've told you why I did it. The keys are better and I'm not going to change them. Just get used to pressing a different key, which is as it should have been in the first place. People can adapt.

Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Dont know if its abad think but captured my crashscreen anyway.
My interent connection went bad and lfs crashed after losing connection to the server i was on.

Thanks. A few people have now reported a crash when they have left a server. And they have provided the crash address. But unfortunately that crash address is not inside LFS, so I can't see what the problem is. I'm not sure what to suggest, but maybe we'd get some more info from a Dr Watson Log. I'd say "start... run... drwatson" but the only problem is, just a few of you will run drwatson, and it won't be the same few who get the crash, except by some amazing chance! I don't know if there could have been any clues about what was happening, for example was it saving a skin at the time, what had happened just before that on the server, had you spectated for a while, or did you exit very quickly while driving. We'll need more info on this now, to try and track down what causes that crash.
Quote from Burnzoire :I just had a race with a friend of mine in w21 for the second night in a row, and we both had to download the same skins again. Considering I've paid for 6000 skins, am I going to get ripped off here by redownloading them over and over?

Obviously it doesn't download a skin if it's already in your folder.
Two notes about the skins conversion (sorry if they've already been reported):

1. I know this should happen only once, but still it'd be nice to see some progress indication (like "Converting skin 1 out of 350 (estimated time remaining: about 3 minutes"). At the moment, if anything goes wrong and the conversion hangs, you just don't know about it. And I noticed that LFS won't let you switch from full screen to windowed mode during this conversion. So a progress indication would be useful if a problem happens.

2. When first playing a mpr saved from W17, I got a prompt about downloading the missing skins. I clicked on Yes and the car skins were downloaded. Fine. But helmet skins weren't, and everybody (including me, strangely) had plain white helmets. I tried a few replays with the same result. Then I exited and relaunched LFS, opened a replay and got the prompt again. This time I clicked on Always. I don't know if this is related, but then the helmet skins were displayed as expected.

Keep up the great work, Scawen!
Quote from Burnzoire :Please give the OK button focus when in pits so the enter key will select it. It's very annoying to have to use the mouse just to hit one button!

If you are in Pits have you anyway the mouse in the hand to change setups, therefore is no hot-key needed.
OK, that's enough posts about the requirement for a key to leave the pits. I got the message some time ago guys.

Please don't make me reply to every comment, just read the thread and see if things have already been said, if so, don't say them again. I've got a text file here with a link to all relevant posts. I don't need constant reminding in order to fix something, I just need to be told once.
-
(AndroidXP) DELETED by AndroidXP
This thread is closed

TEST Patch W21 (compatible with W17)
(168 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG