The online racing simulator
UK anti-speeding movie
(65 posts, started )
UK anti-speeding movie
This isn't for the faint of heart n'or the kids. But I saw this on another forum telling it's a new action against speeding. Beware, some people might find it shocking, watch on your own risk!

Personally I find it a pretty good movie for the target, because it really puts you to thought.

The movie

If many people find it too offensive, I'll remove it.
It is kind of shocking(doesn't show directly but depicts person getting crushed), but no real gore. Would have been better if the car wreck didn't look so fake.

What is it with people and dodging a dog? Sure go hard on the brakes, but I would hit the dog rather than going off the road.
That car flying trough the air was total bullshit, it doesn't happen, does look shocking though. And dodging a dog? Most idiotic thing is to do stupid maneuvers for cute fluffy animals, if it's a dog or something smaller don't bother, it most likely doesn't hurt you. Some lady did a panic braking to avoid killing some ducks on a road around here somewhere, her car was backended, 2 people were perished, for ducks.
Quote from BrandonAGr :
What is it with people and dodging a dog? Sure go hard on the brakes, but I would hit the dog rather than going off the road.

The problem is in a situation like that you have no time to even think, you just react.

Last week I was coming home at about 11.00pm and just as I was going around a long sweeping left hand corner and just out of the corner of my eye I saw a cat darting across the road. I straightened the car up to try avoid hitting it with the rear of the car but unfortunately it didn't stop running and I clipped it with the rear mud guard. Okay I didn't panic but I put that down to experience I've had from racing, for a lot of people they will just automatically try to avoid it at all costs not taking into consideration losing control of the car.

Problem is those videos don't seem to do much... That same night some idiot in a Corsa with silly wings attached passed 3 of us (all doing 60mph) around the outside of a blind corner. Considering it was only a little 1.2 you can imagine trying to find the momentum to pass 3 cars doing 60 took a long time. Forcing us all to brake blooming hard as he forced the person in front into the verge when he saw the oncoming car when we got around the corner.

Had that been me at the front in that position? I'd have made sure he took the front of my car just enough to cause damage so I could claim off his insurance. The problem is these idiots think they are elite and get a thrill from risking other peoples lives...
I know the movie isn't super realistic, it takes too many moments at once, there's happening too much. But on the other hand, it IS believable and you get the feeling it maybe could happen for real.

Personally I speed pretty often, but not really hard. My motto is: Don't drive faster than another nutter I never really pass anyone though, except when he's driving slower than the speed limit, but otherwise I'd stay behind.
Quote from keiran :The problem is these idiots think they are elite and get a thrill from risking other peoples lives...

Exactly, the problem with guys driving like crazy is they think they are little Schumachers, therefore this campaign won't touch them at all...

Once I had a friend that was driving like a maniac, tell me that he was sure he could destroy Raikkonen if they were to race in our local roads with normal cars... Apparently for him F1 racing is for kiddies! The discussion ended there, the claim was so ridicule I couldn't even bother...
#7 - TiJay
The thing is about the UK, they think scaring the hell out of younger drivers with commercials like this actually reduces road deaths. Little Schumacher idiot wannabes aren't going to pay attention because they think their driving's so good it won't happen to them. Why not educate people by showing them crash test videos to show their car isn't invincible, give a few real-world examples of stopping distances because right now you can pass without knowing them- and even if you do know them, how many people actually know how far 60m or whatever is in a real-life situation when driving?

If people knew the limits of their cars (grip, understeer etc) then they wouldn't try and go beyond them. Right now, so many idiots think their car can do the impossible it's ridiculous. Did the guy in the video not know that if you pull in front of another car, they wouldn't have a chance to stop? Another example is people tailgating at 90mph on the motorway. Do they not know that if the car in front braked, they'd be f***ed?

When someone tailgates me, am I the only one that's tempted to lightly tap the brake with my left foot so it doesn't slow the car down, but puts the brake lights on and makes the pillock behind me back off?
Quote from TiJay :When someone tailgates me, am I the only one that's tempted to lightly tap the brake with my left foot so it doesn't slow the car down, but puts the brake lights on and makes the pillock behind me back off?

Drives me nuts as well.. The funny thing is my ex is always tail-gating and yet she's the first one to have a fit if someone's doing it to her, or the person in front suddenly stops.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Drives me nuts as well.. The funny thing is my ex is always tail-gating and yet she's the first one to have a fit if someone's doing it to her, or the person in front suddenly stops.

Don't get me started on the misses
Quote from TiJay :When someone tailgates me, am I the only one that's tempted to lightly tap the brake with my left foot so it doesn't slow the car down, but puts the brake lights on and makes the pillock behind me back off?

No, I do it too

One time some lady was tailgating me so badly (this was leaving my neighborhood I may add), I could not see her headlights or really anything but the upper half of her car, and that time I not only lit up my taillights, I landed up slowing down because she pissed me off so much (she followed me from my driveway to the neighborhood exit which is about half a mile in distance).

Even after chasing me out of my neighborhood I still went slower than I was supposed to (no one was around.. go figure), until she finally passed and gave me the glare, I was tempted to flick her off but I decided that wouldn't go over so well.

Another lady did a similar thing to me on a larger road in her M5, I see her every now and then, her and her child, which is kind of a pain for me seeing a lady who tailgates cars from under a foot away, and swerves from lane to lane every chance she gets and I've seen her take off going at least 15+ mph over the limit... its a terrible sight to see. A good story though is once she was behind me, and I had a Scion xA next to me, and so I decided well.. this lady is crazy so I'll just block up the road so she can't pass, unfortunately the xA landed up going 10 mph under the limit after a quarter of a mile so I gave up and she swerved into the xA's lane as soon as she could and glared at me too after she passed... I was pretty mad, especially after seeing what she did afterwards.
Heres the UK goverments thinking....Speed is evil and kills everything, pets are more important than people, Idiots are to be helped and protected and money solves every single problem in the world. That advert shows just about all of that, it was the speed that killed them, not the idiot overtaking in a bad place just before a junction, swerving to avoid a dog thus choosing to possibly kill several people instead...oh and how much do those adverts cost?

I'm pushing for an Anti-****ing moron advertising campaign, speed does not kill, idiots kill...no matter how fast they are going.
To be honest this is awfull.I have been just watching in my job and got really shocked.I know the life is not a fairy tale but come on.

I think there is better way for goverment to spent the money on then this movie.
At this point the advert is already working though, people are talking about it and it's interesting to do so. Of course it's exagerated, but I kinda support this kind of adverts, would be better though if it was footage from real life crashes, or aftermaths.
Quote :Most idiotic thing is to do stupid maneuvers for cute fluffy animals, if it's a dog or something smaller don't bother

My brother once put a Jaguar through somebodies garden wall to avoid a cat, he points out that he had no idea that it was a cat and that it could just have easily been a child. You just react. Although I still mock him for it of course.

Quote :When someone tailgates me, am I the only one that's tempted to lightly tap the brake with my left foot so it doesn't slow the car down, but puts the brake lights on and makes the pillock behind me back off?

Tailgating causes more accidents than speed, speed just makes them worse. The problem is there is no enforcement of tailgating, whereas we have speed cameras and vans everywhere. For some reason we dont even have much of a public awareness campaign against tailgaters - leaving me to wonder how the powers that be drive...

I used to get really annoyed with tail gaters, i'd put on my fog lights and then floor it so they thought I was braking. Then i'd wait for them to catch up and second time I would brake just to put the fear of God into them. Usually cars would back off, sometimes they got really annoyed and started driving even more dangerously so I stopped. It might have educated a few maybe, I hope.

Even these days I refuse to be polite toward a tailgater, whereas usually i'm an extremely passive driver. One time this came back to bite me though ... I was being tailgated very dangerously so I slowed up and drove on the dotted line to block any chance of passing. The driver behind got really agitated with me, then I saw in the rear view mirror that one of them had loads of blood gushing out of them. I moved over and watched guiltily as they turned toward the hospital...
Sometimes being a vigilante is the wrong thing to do.
The adverts DO NOT WORK, there has been endless studies and they proved that people take notice for a few hours, maybe a day, then slip back into their bad habits. In the UK you can take your driving test 50 times, 100 times, however many times you want. You get idiots on the road who think oversteer is a rock band and the rear view mirror is for putting make up on. The majority fluked their way through the tests (which are waaay too easy) and then didn't bother with the advanced driving tests (which should be manditory)

EDIT: Becky they should have been flashing their lights, in the highway code it says that if a car comes behind you speeding flashing its headlights you must safely move over and let them pass. I have been tailgated so much during my driving lessons, I was actually doing 35mph in a 30 zone and being tailgated by a 4x4 with some stupid blonde driving, so I slowed to 20mph letting her get really close, then just put 2 fingers up in the rear view mirror and slowed to 15mph...naughty I know, but that day in 2 hours i was tailgated constantly.
Quote from sgt.flippy :At this point the advert is already working though, people are talking about it and it's interesting to do so. Of course it's exagerated, but I kinda support this kind of adverts, would be better though if it was footage from real life crashes, or aftermaths.

The music is theatrical, so it seems exagerated.
But the accident itself wasn't that serious and surely not exagerated.. 2 Dead people and 1 disabled... Worse thing's happen almost daily.
Quote :But the accident itself wasn't that serious and surely not exagerated.. 2 Dead people and 1 disabled... Worse thing's happen almost daily.

Yes, worse things happen but regardless of the cause, that's still a serious accident.
Quote :The driver behind got really agitated with me, then I saw in the rear view mirror that one of them had loads of blood gushing out of them.

Ah, but you didn't know that when you blocked them first and moved when you noticed so I can't blame you.

ATC Quicksilver: Agreed with everything you said mostly. Speed on its own doesn't kill, it's inappropriate speed that kills, as well as the whole bunch of other contributing factors you mentioned. But what is inappropriate speed? Doing 90 on an empty motorway at 2am isn't IMO, whereas doing 70 down tight country lanes or 40 through a small village is. Sometimes eg wet weather, doing the speed limit is inappropriate as one should be going slower for the conditions.
I just wanted to point out that it's not really exaggerated.
But it really depends on your point of view what a shocking crash might be though.
If you experiences death and tragedy on a daily bases you start to qualify(?) things that are actually unbelievable for others. That's the only way to cope with such experiences.
Quote : If you experiences death and tragedy on a daily bases you start to qualify(?) things that are actually unbelievable for others.

True, it's all relative and a matter of perspective.
Quote from TiJay :
When someone tailgates me, am I the only one that's tempted to lightly tap the brake with my left foot so it doesn't slow the car down, but puts the brake lights on and makes the pillock behind me back off?

I do it all the time. Just use my left foot to light up the brake lights or at slower speeds I use the handbrake when slowing for junctions.

It's when your on a dual carriage way and you just touch the brake pedal, god do those people shit themselves But they should be thankful I'm not one of the many who will just slam the brakes on and sue for all they can. It's not like I'm driving some fancy car, someone would be doing me a favour if they wrote it off for me
Speeding actually CAUSES young couples to lean against fences down the road.

Based on that video I say promote speeding, and ban walls, fences, couples and dogs. And shit 'speed kills' advertisments.
My dad hates tail-gating. In his dodge caravan, there is a spray nozel, that sprays the windshield wash down over the back window. With A quick twist, and a slice of plastic, it now squirts back about 2 feet, aswell as going on the window. So when someone is tailgating him, he sprays their car with the windshield wash! Its so funny to watch them back off. He gets quite a few dirty looks. But it works!
My friend has been in a similar situation, coming up to a turn some guy in a 4x4 tried to overtake him while he was doing 50mph, ended up hitting another car head on as he was side by side.

I have seen a more shocking video, not about speed but about drink driving. Some guy had been boozing with mates during the day. He was driving down the road, went to avoid something but because he was out of it he ended up hitting a curb, car rolled and flipped into a garden crushing a child, I remember seeing it around 1am and turned the channel straight away. Nasty vids but hit straight to the point exactly.
-
(IReallyHateBureaucracy) DELETED by IReallyHateBureaucracy
Quote :I do it all the time. Just use my left foot to light up the brake lights or at slower speeds I use the handbrake when slowing for junctions.

Hehe, I'm not confident enough to slow down with the handbrake incase I balls it up and odds are some arse would rear-end me. Well, I've never tried it so I don't know. But the brake lights thing sounds like a plan.

Quote :I have seen a more shocking video, not about speed but about drink driving. Some guy had been boozing with mates during the day. He was driving down the road, went to avoid something but because he was out of it he ended up hitting a curb, car rolled and flipped into a garden crushing a child, I remember seeing it around 1am and turned the channel straight away. Nasty vids but hit straight to the point exactly.

Saw this on a road safety day thing and it did hit the point, but I hoped most people know it's a f****ng stupid idea to drink-drive anyway. That saying "Not even one, not even once" is my attitude.

Quote :pretty soon many of them would be dead. Good riddance.

The old "take the safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself" viewpoint?

UK anti-speeding movie
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG