The online racing simulator
Limiter bug (or is it?)
(6 posts, started )
Limiter bug (or is it?)
I noticed that the limiter doesn't function if you turn it on while not on the track. For instance, if I'm in the sand and turn on the limiter, it doesn't do anything (it just let's the wheels spin). Is this a bug, or is it supposed to do this?
#2 - amp88
Quote from BlackSheep720 :I noticed that the limiter doesn't function if you turn it on while not on the track. For instance, if I'm in the sand and turn on the limiter, it doesn't do anything (it just let's the wheels spin). Is this a bug, or is it supposed to do this?

The limiter acts on car speed, not wheel speed. The speedometer shows wheel speed (i.e. how quickly the wheels are spinning). So, if you're sitting in the gravel trap and your wheels are spinning but the car isn't actually moving your wheel speed will be very high but your car speed is 0.
it can also over rev really badly and there is nothing you can do to get out of the sand if you have slicks. my tip don't slide in and stop keep going and try to use your momentum to get out
it's how amp88 described it, but thinking of it: how realisitc is that?

Can anyone clear me up how the real world (pit)limiter works?

I imagine it works the same way as the speedo, taking the speed from the drive shaft, but then again it should also limit the speed while being on the grass.

Or is it sensoring all wheels speed and limit it that way? (But I guess that would make the whole system more complicated than needed?)
-
(wheel4hummer) DELETED by wheel4hummer
You can read to your heart's content: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rev_limiter

@W4H.. GPS.. ? why would an F1 car need GPS tracking?

Rev limiters work one way, and that is by cutting fuel intake when needed.
-
(wheel4hummer) DELETED by wheel4hummer
I think Blacksheep meant the traction control, not the rev limiter, as you couldn't turn the rev limiter on or off

And as far as I know the TC measures the speed from the unpowered wheels.

The difference beetween drive-shaft measured speed and unpowered wheels speed is used to calculate the amount of limiting (by cutting ignition or fuel - not sure what is used) needed to match the speed from the powered wheels to the unpowered wheels.

The percentage of slip in the setup, is the amount of wheel difference allowed without limiting the power output.

Limiter bug (or is it?)
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG