The online racing simulator
#26 - Dru
Quote from mikey_G :Sure, ISP's sometimes **** up. But you can do things before the race to minimize the risk. You can replug all your connectors, reboot the router/switch modem/pc, get new ip by dhcp so you have a fresh lease, or any other thing you think might work.
The thing is, anyone can say it's their ISP while their anti virus kicks in, so there is no way to check what the failure was, and teh fact that LFS only runs on windows multiplies the number of reasons by 100.
I compare a lag out to an engine failure in real life. So if you want your "engine" to last longer, you have to make it last longer.

Btw, to give you an example on how you can cause your own lag out.
I've ran a linksys wrt54g with default firmware which doesn't really cope well with bittorrent. Every time I downloaded it kept hundreds of connections alive which caused the router to bog down. If a router cpu bogs down, it will route packets slower causing lag and ultimately a connection failure.
To remedy this I've put linux on it and put the tcp connection timeout to a low figure, so I never had the problem anymore (not running linksys crap helps a lot).
So as you see, lag is not always an ISP problem, but sometimes it's even your own problem.

your quote about antivirus is also a valid one Mike,

A couple of weeks ago i installed a nw antivir and it used 21.00 daily as a default update.
This meant if i was playing LFS at the time it would automatically change my window view to the window of the virus checker with a auto download happening.... needles to say it only took the once for me to make sure i changed it to daily at 4.00am so that it would do the update and check the first time i switched the pc on each day.

Also i am still suffering from the DFP issues whilst logitech have a fight with Dabs about who needs to replace it (O/T i know lol) anyhow, before each race now i unplug and force a new calbration to minamise any chance that the steering may crash in game. if it does i just have to retire
#27 - Dru
Quote from Dru :From the first section.

To be classified a racer needs to finish within 80% of the distance driven by the winner of the race. This 80% distance is listed for all races on the Race & Dates page.

Let us make this clear that you must 'COMPLETE' 80% distance to be classified.

Let us also say at this stage we are undecided if you have to be running at that point, ie if you disconnected.

We have to discuss this section.

we will see in our replay that you did 80% distance and can place you accordingly IF we decide that that is ok.... not sure, have to discuss with other marshalls.

Reseting the car with space is acceptable if you find yourself on your roof/side, just make sure you wait until the track is clear to do this

Regarding damage, we have stated that as long as you can drive safe with a damaged car and not be involved in any crashes you can carry on lapping as long as you do not exceed the recommended time (60sec for SO3R and 80secs SO2) for more than 1 lap.

If you are involved in any incidences for example we can check after race. If during the same replay we see that your lap times were in excess of the times allowed, then you may find yourself docked points or excluding.

We do not want 16 unsafe banger cars crawling around the track, people have to be sensible, if they are not then, and they are in breach of the rules we have said then they are open to rulings by the marshalls.

Also, please remember that if you retire from the race you can only go to spectate mode, you can not get a new car and rejoin the race.

I hope this clears things up,

Regards,

Dru.

Also, please bear in mind that this opening round is a special case as there is no pits or acceptable run off per say.

OK so the marshalls have spoken and the following must be added to the rules for finishing and scoring.

To be classified a racer needs to have completed at least 80% of the distance driven by the winner of the race. This 80% distance is listed for all races on the Race & Dates page.

This distance can only be accounted from the start of the race.

If you show up late you are not allowed to just join mid race, and do 80% to get some points.
If someones completes 80% of the race distance, but does not finish the race (damage, disconnection etc, then they will lose the part lap they were on).

For an example of finishing positions they would be placed like this.

80% of 30 laps is 24 laps that must be completed to be entilted to points, there for you must have completed 24 laps and be on your 25th lap at least to score.

Ok so positioning.

A player retires on lap 27. For scoring points they will be placed behind every other finisher who made it to lap 27, but ahead of all the finishers that only made 26 laps.

I hope this makes sense and is clear for everyone

As a classified finisher, you would also be entitled to take the reverse grid restart.

Regards,

Dru.
#28 - Dru
Regarding the driving of badly damaged cars, the marshalls can not enforce a maximum lap time, so therefore the following rules have been clarified.

As SO3R ans SO2 have no accessible pit lane for repair, we have to rely on drivers to retire their cars when they beleive the car is either un-drivable or is dangerous to other racers.

We can not force any drivers to retire, however we would stress the importance on not en-dangering anyone elses race with an uncontrolable damaged car.

Therefore, IF you are involved in one or more accidents either with fellow racers or with cars lapping you as a result of your car being damaged and 'undriveable' you may find yourself in front of the marshalls.

The marshalls like in real life racing have the power to punish you for dangerous driving. This can lead to a points deduction, exclusion from the round or even disqualification from the series.

We do stress to people that other racers race's MUST NOT be ruined by your damaged car and your un-willingness to retire.

Thanks,

Dru.
Quote from mikey_G :Sure, ISP's sometimes **** up. But you can do things before the race to minimize the risk. You can replug all your connectors, reboot the router/switch modem/pc, get new ip by dhcp so you have a fresh lease, or any other thing you think might work.

How do I get a new IP addy?
find a button called dhcp release, and then press on dhcp renew. You can also just reboot every electrical device hooked on your pc (i dunno which devices you have), and when they boot they should get a new ip address.
is it in windows or an option in my router control panel?
both, but just restarting your pc and router has the same effect.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG