The online racing simulator
Understading lag, packet loss, disconnections etc.
I'm having an issue with LFS at the moment and I wondered if anyone actually knows the mechanics behind this... I'd like to understand it.

Sometimes my green bar will rise and rise, then drop back to normal. All the cars drive normally however the messages will pause and then all appear at once when the bar drops back down. Also if the start of a race happens while this is going on I'll miss it - neither can I jump back to the pits, etc....

Sometimes that bar keeps rising and I eventually I will get disconnected.

What I need to understand is what this is actually showing. While this is happening, the cars around me are driving normally, *not* jumping around like I would expect if I was loosing data, but as I say above I am loosing the messages.

So with this in mind, what is my lengthening bar telling me and why does it not affect the other cars?

Dave

PS I have reported this to my ISP but it is off their network.
#2 - VoiD
Thanks VoiD, according to the WIKI then I have intermittent lag between me and the host (I'm not getting the other players' game packets). An extreme of this and I will time out.

Only thing it tells me realy (I THINK) is that I'm not getting replies back from the server (all others at the bottom and only my green one going up).

Dave
Who's your ISP Horrgakx ?

As it sound like Packet shaping by your provider.
It has its days. Usually when I've got a league game :O ISP is Nildram but the testing that they've done and that I've done shows it is off their net.

Dave
Quote from horrgakx :.... ISP is Nildram but the testing that they've done and that I've done shows it is off their net..

I had the exact same problems with Pipex..just to confirm my suspicions, I phoned them and explained my 'connectivity' problems..they ran me through a series of 'tests' that I carried out to the letter..(but with a big 'knowing' smile on my face)..

After concluding these tests, which btw, were ALL concerning HTTP access, (ie: Port 80!) they ASSURED me that the problem was either:
a) My Computer,
or
b) Somebody else's problem!

I then told them that immediately AFTER running THEIR tests, I did a similar test of my own, downloading a similar sized file from a friend who had specifically set up his server to run temporarily on port 3000.
The results were conclusive - between the hours of 17.30 and 23.30 the transfer rate dropped to 4.5 kbps, any other time of the day the rate was a steady 105-110 kbps.
When I hit them with THIS data the poor guy on the other end of the phone was totally flummoxed...he didn't know what to say
I suggested that traffic shaping was to blame, and he admitted that it was down to all the p2p nerds getting their daily moozik fix..I asked him if he would be so kind as to explain why they were throttling ALL ports, and not just the common p2p ports, and he couldn't/didn't want to explain that either...

So I just asked for my MAC code there and then!
thats your ISP unless you have faulty network card.The standalone network cards are nowdays very,very cheap so you could try try one and if you would have still same issue then its definately your ISP.

I am still towards its your ISP making you troubles.The guys on the helpline usually dont know what they are talking about and if they knew something its just http or ftp port
Hi Dave I am with Nildram also (maxDSL) and I haven't noticed any problems , How do you connect to the internet? router? do you use the wireless LAN ?

It could be somthing as simple as a network cable or NIC card as said above ,

Does this happen on the same server more than other servers?

SD.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG