The online racing simulator
#1 - coops
A large car speed testing level
what i have always wanted in this game is a level where i can test out my top speed but the only way i can get close to the top speed is the Oval level and thats not even close to the top
so what i would really really love is a massively huge drag strip a lot bigger than the current one.
thanks for reading i really hope this gets made and im sure some people with agree with me Thanks
coops
#2 - Ian.H
... and the reason you thought you suggesting this (stupid) idea was any better than the many other people that have suggested this (stupid) idea was?

Search.... is a wonderful thing! Damn forum n00bs!

But really, what's the point? where can you use a top speed greater than any of the current tracks will allow? not like you're going to get in the Guinness Book of Records

Regards,

Ian
You might want to try Bob's Setup Analyser, which can quite accurately calculate the car's top speed for a specific gearing. However, Ian is right in that point, there is nothing gained from the knowledge of theoretical top speed, as no track allows you to reach that anyway.
#4 - coops
Quote from Ian.H :... and the reason you thought you suggesting this (stupid) idea was any better than the many other people that have suggested this (stupid) idea was?

But really, what's the point? where can you use a top speed greater than any of the current tracks will allow? not like you're going to get in the Guinness Book of Records

Regards,

Ian

i would like a track like this because there are other random levels like skidpad and a carpark why not a very long drag strip.
Im not a forum noob i am a moderator on a very popular forum and i have been a LFS racer for almost 2 years and
[sarcasm]thanks for the nice reply[/sarcasm]

edit: what about some level for LFStweak?
Quote from coops :i would like a track like this because there are other random levels like skidpad and a carpark why not a very long drag strip.
Im not a forum noob i am a moderator on a very popular forum and i have been a LFS racer for almost 2 years and
[sarcasm]thanks for the nice reply[/sarcasm]

edit: what about some level for LFStweak?

If your a moderator on another forum, then wouldn't it have been second nature to search first?

Also, LFSTweak is a 3rd party addon for LFS, not an officially endorsed program from the Development team. So my guess is that they wouldn't want to make a track for it.
Quote from Ian.H :... and the reason you thought you suggesting this (stupid) idea was any better than the many other people that have suggested this (stupid) idea was?

Regards,

Ian

You seem to have taken this very personally. Not quite sure why, but I think you should calm down and remember that the purpose of this forum is not to drive people away from it.
#7 - coops
yes i did use the search but did not find what i was looking for
coops
I searched for Top Speed Track and found:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... highlight=Top+Speed+Track

Admittedly they were on about page 6 of the search results, but it only took me circa 30 seconds to find them.

I think you'll find the answer is that knowing the theoretical top speed of your car is 100% pointless, and will not aid you in racing. If you want to optimise your gearing then top speed will not help you. But read these three anyway - we'll test you on them later.
#9 - Ian.H
Quote from sinbad :You seem to have taken this very personally. Not quite sure why, but I think you should calm down and remember that the purpose of this forum is not to drive people away from it.

Not in the slightest... just seems a rake of n00bs with 1-5 posts that think they're idea is so much better than the others that have asked for the same idea.. it's all about common sense...

1:> The idea is pointless as I pointed out.. if the current tracks don't permit you to get up to "lightspeed".. then what's the point on a special track just to find out what the absolute top speed is? What benefit does it have in the game?

2:> No one seems to bother searching, so there's loads threads with the same crappy requests.

Stupidity and lack of common sense annoys me be it here or down the pub

Regards,

Ian
#10 - Gunn
I also have always found such a suggestion to be absolutely pointless.

So there you are, your speed increases gradually until you are going at....top speed! Yeah, now what?
I would actually love to have a very long straight track because I like comparing the cars and it would be fun to see how some of them would go head-to-head on a long straight.
#12 - Gunn
Quote from Ilpav :I would actually love to have a very long straight track because I like comparing the cars and it would be fun to see how some of them would go head-to-head on a long straight.

But once you know the answer then the usefulness of the feature is now gone.
I'd take a Complex String clone over this anyday
1 Word: DYNO.

[sarcasim]Hey I have an idea! Lets put dynos everywhere on the track so cars exersize and lose car weight to go faster!!!!![sarcasism/]

Actually a thread just started in "general racing" which was originally about a 1930s racing web site. But it seem to have turned into talk about the old AVUS track in Berlin. I guess that track is what you want

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=23663

Maybe it would be nice to cruise around for few laps, but after that pretty boring.
Quote from GruntOfAction :1 Word: DYNO.

[sarcasim]Hey I have an idea! Lets put dynos everywhere on the track so cars exersize and lose car weight to go faster!!!!![sarcasism/]

Unfortunately a dyno won't help in this case, as it cannot simulate the drag that a real car undergoes, nor the downforce (and hence additional aero and rolling drag) that a car creates.
Quote from Ilpav :I would actually love to have a very long straight track because I like comparing the cars and it would be fun to see how some of them would go head-to-head on a long straight.

This a racing sim not a drag racing sim.

If you must, test them on the oval. I'm sure it will be fun & interesting for you.
Quote from tristancliffe :Unfortunately a dyno won't help in this case, as it cannot simulate the drag that a real car undergoes, nor the downforce (and hence additional aero and rolling drag) that a car creates.

Correct. What you really need is my analyser for that. Android got it right many posts back.
There's nothing like promoting your own product eh!
Damn right. I'm hoping someone will go "cool product, I want to hire that guy", and give me a job.
#21 - wark
Quote from Bob Smith :Damn right. I'm hoping someone will go "cool product, I want to hire that guy", and give me a job.

Did you know my car's license plate surround says "Bob Smith" on it? Maybe I could sell it...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG