The online racing simulator
Quote :Becky > Why do you allow dips and blips at all in any car? surely total realism is the goal.

They would be if STCC3 servers every gained popularity, but they never did because of the fixed track which was necessary for our events. Anyway the new server lineup might give the opportunity for some more totally no-aids servers

Quote :The not so responsible racer, however, will probably not request his license notes

One of the many new features i'm coding at the moment will allow us to get their attention by a method other than the current short term ban method *evil grin*.
#52 - SamH
Quote from Becky Rose :One of the many new features i'm coding at the moment will allow us to get their attention by a method other than the current short term ban method *evil grin*.

/me gives out an Igor-ish *guffaw*
Why are points lowed? I used to get 250 points for win and records whit 10 more racers. Now I get like 110. The record is machine, I left FXOs for 5-10 secounds behind, and still there is 110 points. What happen? I'm driving whit XRT
Quote from thisnameistaken :It looks like a Vauxhall! Who gets excited looking at Vauxhalls? Nobody!

Attached a couple of different ones that I remember using recently. The one labeled "SO4R" has a clutch pack diff and it's quite twitchy but sublime once you get the hang of it, the "SO5R" one has a locked diff and it understeers like a swine but it's easier to be fast.

Thanks very much for that. I've been using the SO4R one for a while now. I use it on all tracks as I'm not sure how to mod it for different tracks so I'd probably spend a lot of time and end up messing it up. Are you still as happy with this set or have you made changes that make it better?
#55 - Mykl
I like the RB4. I chose it because my actual car is AWD, so I'm instantly comfortable with the car's inherent tendencies.

I like the at-the-limit understeer, and I like the "instantly stable" effect positive throttle input has on the car.

The only issue with the car is, like real world AWD cars, it has a tendency to eat up the front tires in a hurry if you're not careful. After 20 laps on a City sprint course they'll be bright red. But if you set up the car to oversteer while the tires are cool, close to neutral with a hint of oversteer when they're at optimum temp, then the understeer when the tires are overheated won't slow you down too much and may even allow you to be more abusive with the throttle later in the race.
Quote from Mykl :I like the RB4. I chose it because my actual car is AWD, so I'm instantly comfortable with the car's inherent tendencies.

I like the at-the-limit understeer, and I like the "instantly stable" effect positive throttle input has on the car.

The only issue with the car is, like real world AWD cars, it has a tendency to eat up the front tires in a hurry if you're not careful. After 20 laps on a City sprint course they'll be bright red. But if you set up the car to oversteer while the tires are cool, close to neutral with a hint of oversteer when they're at optimum temp, then the understeer when the tires are overheated won't slow you down too much and may even allow you to be more abusive with the throttle later in the race.

Or if your really good with setups you can get the rears to overheat before the fronts =) Now thats a challenge during a race =) ( I have only managed it once in an STCC event) Thank you Hannu =)
#57 - Mykl
Quote from Viper93 :Or if your really good with setups you can get the rears to overheat before the fronts =) Now thats a challenge during a race =) ( I have only managed it once in an STCC event) Thank you Hannu =)

I can definitely see how it's possible, especially if you're not in the habit of asking too much of the front tires pre-apex. The front and rear tires on my car wear at very close to the same rate because I'm in the habit of getting most of my braking done in a straight line, turning more sharply than a "momentum car", apexing late, and being on the throttle harder and longer to take advantage of the extra grip AWD provides.

The RB4 seems to be a fairly accurate representation of what a real world AWD car with a non active center diff is capable of.
Quote from goode400 :Thanks very much for that. I've been using the SO4R one for a while now. I use it on all tracks as I'm not sure how to mod it for different tracks so I'd probably spend a lot of time and end up messing it up. Are you still as happy with this set or have you made changes that make it better?

It's too understeery with the default preload value in W10/17, so yeah I've been messing with it a bit since the new test patches, but I haven't come up with anything I really like yet. (Pssst! I don't really know what I'm doing!).

Just had a quick look, and I've got the power locking at 50%, coast at 60%, preload at 110Nm. I've also upped the rear ARB to 50, Front is at 55. Not sure what they used to be at but I know I messed with them (rightly or wrongly!)
I found in the road cars since we have preload, a quite low coast setting should work better, give 35-40 a try.
Quote from thisnameistaken :It's too understeery with the default preload value in W10/17, so yeah I've been messing with it a bit since the new test patches, but I haven't come up with anything I really like yet. (Pssst! I don't really know what I'm doing!).

Just had a quick look, and I've got the power locking at 50%, coast at 60%, preload at 110Nm. I've also upped the rear ARB to 50, Front is at 55. Not sure what they used to be at but I know I messed with them (rightly or wrongly!)

Just had a 20 lap race with this set (not modified)and burst the front left tyre on final lap! (still got 3rd though!)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG