The online racing simulator
My, How Time Flies
(191 posts, closed, started )
Well, can share my concerns on many things mentioned in this thread.

Had to play again with patch W last night, after getting used to the false starts the fully automated starts felt silly. I really don't have much expectations with the upcoming X patch because the great false start feature should have been done ages ago as it does bring a ton of fun to the starts. I take X as granted.

But as mentioned already, patch Y should be the real treat, and I'm really looking forward to that and of course, like many here, will be very disappointed if it doesn't deliver *something big.

*better grip loss on spinning wheels and clutch for example (all to support better starts)
Quote from SamH :Well, I've read the thread and I think I understand where folks are at.

Ian, your posts *do* read as trollish downers at face value, at least to me, but listening to the interaction, as people pull you up on individual points, it's becoming clear that actually you're probably as much a fanboi as me. You're just frustrated at the apparent lack of progress. If you're yearning for rapid progress in LFS, I can imagine you'd be frustrated at this point.

If you think my posts here sound like trolling at face value, I suggest you resign from being a moderator as you obviously have no clue. If I was trolling, I'd say LFS is bollox and rF or [insert any other sim title here] was the best! I haven't said either, and I won't. I don't think LFS is crap, I don't think GTR2 / rF are the best things since sliced bread, but both either do various things period, or better than LFS.. however, LFS feels better through my wheel for the most part. I _am_ pissed off at buying a product over 2 years ago to receive nothing but a half done alpha version with more arcade features than sim.

Quote :I've said many times before that I like the workers' co-op ethics that LFS is developed in. On that basis alone, I'd probably forgive Scavier anything. I like the fact that this ethos leads to the development of code that is right, rather than code that will do.

Hah... umm, so you've seen and understood all the code in LFS, right? If you haven't, HTF can you make a statement like that!? There is no 'fact' in your statement, it's just what you (want to) believe.

Quote :I don't, personally, care about the pace because good things come to those who wait, and I'm having a kick-ass time with it as it is now.

Good for you.. but I'm a little sick of waiting for 2 damn years for almost nothing. I don't give a flying [...] about insim or outsim or some scripting language because people are too lazy to perform actions manually.. this is a _race sim_ (apparently), not a coding 101 class.

Quote :I don't like GTR2. It's a personal opinion. I just don't think it's got anything on LFS, physics-wise (and that's my primary interest, incidentally). Things happen in LFS because the environment is a physics emulation of real-world environment. It's not perfect, as you know, but as time passes it does get better.

It may not be as good as LFS is physics wise, but it'sa damn sight more of a complete game than I think LFS will _ever_ be.. at least before I'm too old to be able to focus on the screen properly.

Quote :I know that rF is nowhere on the radar regarding physics, because the cars and tracks in rF *don't* exist in a physics emulation. You have to (more to the point, you *can*) create your own values, when you code a mod for rF. This is very unattractive to me.

Just because you can't fill in the numbers to get it to feel right, I don't see why you (and apparently most people around here) find that so hard to accept. End of the day, ISI and Scawen et al do the same. Physics don't "just happen".

Quote :Graphically, I agree that LFS is missing out on some eyecandy DX8 tricks. I don't know if those are coming or not. Perhaps it'd be nice if they were, but they'd be simply eyecandy for me. I'm already fully immersed when I'm racing. For some people, perhaps these fx would assist in the immersion. At the end of the day, if the effects come at the expense of the physics, I'll pass thanks.

Immersion. Driving on tarmac that looks dead flat (and bad due to the most appalling texture mapping I've ever come across) because there's nothing but a single texture isn't very realistic neither is it immersive. For the textures used (ie: low-res), Eric's done a pretty good job.. but why are we still living in the 90s in this respect? low-res was 10 years ago... and no, I don't have an ASCII White to play games on.. I can't even use DX9 properly without it stuttering like crazy.. but c'mon.. why is DX8 not even being exploited? LFS may aswell be using DX7.. and infact, looks like it is for the most part.

But you'd sooner have some coding interface added instead? Because that's what's happening.. we haven't got graphics updates, but we do now have a scripting language <sarcasm>YAY!</sarcasm>.. so when were the physics being worked on when Scawen was coding this pointless interface?

Quote :So I'm a fanboi. Boohoo

Now that's just sad.

Regards,

Ian
Well I can agree on that insim coding whatever thing. It can feel a bit pointless. But is seems that Scawen is outsourcing his work to the community, all kind of small thing that he doesn't want to spend his time can be done by people who have the time. I could imagine that it's time well invested to lessen the workload off Scawen. But on the other hand it worries me as I'd like to see the data, replay and such analyzers built in LFS and done properly by the man itself.
Quote from deggis :I don't know what to say to this because I remember you said while ago in the sound imporovements thread that you'd still prefer pre-V/W sounds.

This would be like me driving a Nissan rather than walking.. it'd be taking the lesser of 2 evils.

Quote :Can you describe "significant"?

Something that actually works? Something that doesn't sound like spaceships hovering in a plastic tube at the bottom of a bath? Seriously, I can't believe you have to ask that given what the current sound engine sounds like.

Quote :And what you are expecting from the sounds then?

Preferably something that made the cars sound like...... cars, not synthetic echoing spaceships. Sorry to piss on your bonfire, but the LFS sound engine is nothing but a _seriously_ bad joke right now. Look at everything's DaveWS has tried to do with the sounds.. he's not even come close to anything sounding like it should, but has worked his plums off trying.. the sound engine is like ISI's tyres... inherently flawed.. you can't build a stable house on sloppy foundations. Scrap it and start again.. there's no hope for it.

Quote :I sure hope you're familiar the way the sounds are produced in LFS.

Fully aware, thank you.. and have in the past said that once developed, the method used would offer the best solution, however, no one's bothered with it.. lets just add new coding interfaces instead of the important stuff.

What do you think goes through the minds of people who have played the likes of GTR2, rF or damn, even some NFS title when they try LFS for the first time? I can pretty much imagine... "my damn ears!"

Quote :Now after Patch W it's the best prove about synthesized sound potential - not like there would be much competition in this synthetisized sounds area, only netKar Pro with it's "simulating distorted onboard movie sound quality" sounds and Todd Wasson's experimental sound engine.

And RBR IIRC, which lets face it, is in a completely different league to what we hear in LFS.

Quote :I agree. And what would be the point of adding few fancy DX8/9 effects for as long as we have lo-res textures?

Hmm.. I wonder what the solution to that could be then...............

Quote :I really wonder what's the reason for that, I mean even the default skins are 512x512. It can't be keeping the download size small (not like we're still in 56 kbps modem era) and as some tests seems to prove, using hi-res texture addons doesn't actually make that much difference to fps, so it can't be that either. Seems like someone is obsessed with lo-res textures size.

Simple reason... LFS is stuck back in 1999 while all other games developers realise that it's now 2007.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :
If you think my posts here sound like trolling at face value, I suggest you resign from being a moderator as you obviously have no clue. If I was trolling, I'd say LFS is bollox and rF or [insert any other sim title here] was the best!

Quote from Ian.H :
but it'sa damn sight more of a complete game than I think LFS will _ever_ be
Preferably something that made the cars sound like...... cars, not synthetic echoing spaceships. Sorry to piss on your bonfire, but the LFS sound engine is nothing but a _seriously_ bad joke right now.
and bad due to the most appalling texture mapping I've ever come across
Something that doesn't sound like spaceships hovering in a plastic tube at the bottom of a bath?

Now you are definitely sounding trollish
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Quote from Wenom :Jesus, what a bunch of ladies whining about the progress of LFS. Like theres nothing else to do than rant here.

GJ Sherlock :up: :detective
Quote from Ian.H :
Shame.. I fear I may not be around for patch Y (not that anyone will care or that I'm important, heh), especially if that's another 6-9 months down the line going on current rates

Regards,

Ian

From what i read on another thread its not a matter of months. Y should come fairly quick after X. Guess even quicker in the testpatch circus . Cant find the post now, but it was Scawen himself so guess pretty reliable.
#83 - JJ72
nah. it's never about LFS's progress. Just periodical unleash of frustration that is a natural part of being a part of LFS community, IF this is about progress of LFS someone would have said something about HOW actually we can find that extra development pace instead of adding adjertives to how car sound in LFS and so.

tell me again how are we suppose to compete against over game developers in terms of graphics and sound with our business model. Go big, go commercial, or go open source? Do any of these and LFS won't be LFS no more, I suppose.
Quote from BrandonAGr :Now you are definitely sounding trollish

Wrong.. if I was trolling, I wouldn't have given any reasons as to why I made such statements. You're just blindly defending. I've backed up why I feel the way I do.. I haven't just said "this is crap".. I've explained why (I think it is).

Regards,

Ian
Quote from JJ72 :nah. it's never about LFS's progress. Just periodical unleash of frustration that is a natural part of being a part of LFS community, IF this is about progress of LFS someone would have said something about HOW actually we can find that extra development pace instead of adding adjertives to how car sound in LFS and so.

Huh? It's not rocket science on how you speed up development pace. I don't doubt that Scawen is coding his nuts off, and having a littlen of my own, I can completely understand that he'd want to spend time with his family, but I also run a business and I can't just "drop everything" and hope no one complains.

Put it this way, you come to me with a handful of cash and tell me you want a web site that does X,Y,Z. We agree to a contract (ie: I say yes and take your money) and I explain that some parts will take a little time.. to which you feel is no problem, you'd like it to be right.

2 years later, after me just sending a few paragraphs of updates but tell you how much I've managed to tweak the code adn optimise this that and the other that'll make no difference to how to the site is used / perfoms, are you still going to be happy when you say "hey! what's happening to my site?" to which I reply "it'll get there but you need to be patient.. I've just added a sweet as feature that will allow people to make comments on your site!".. even though your site doesn't really need a comments page. Will you still be impressed with me / my work?

Quote :tell me again how are we suppose to compete against over game developers in terms of graphics and sound with our business model. Go big, go commercial, or go open source? Do any of these and LFS won't be LFS no more, I suppose.

And perhaps there lies the root of the problem... the business model.

Why would LFS "not be LFS anymore"? Surely LFS is the game we play, not by who / how it gets developed? Software development isn't like hiring a tart for the night and sharing her with your misses.. it's about getting the end result.. it's not a sordid, dirty thing if another person was to join the team like many would see a threesome.

I have nothing against the Devs personally in the slightest, but do feel that too many here see them as "friends". LFS is a commercial entity, they _have_ to deliver certain goods. They're not our friends (although are friendly).. they're a business to which we've paid for a product and yet to receive. I think this is what clouds a lot of people's judgement. I have some clients that think the sun shines out of my arse because I've done them a favour, given 110% or whatever.. it doesn't, I've been friendly with most of my clients as it does help IMO.. but at the end of the day, they've paid me to produce $something, if I don't deliver within a timely period, I'd expect them to get pissed off with me too.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :From what i read on another thread its not a matter of months. Y should come fairly quick after X. Guess even quicker in the testpatch circus . Cant find the post now, but it was Scawen himself so guess pretty reliable.

Nope, patch X was to come quickly, and then a longer development period would go on to implement physics changes and new interiors etc, in patch Y.
Quote :I mean even the default skins are 512x512

In a funny way, that's a good thing, because atleast then people are maybe be more motivated to search around the different skinning sites, becoming familiar with the broader community. But, on the opposite end, it's a shame if people don't do that...

IMO there definitely should be a quality higher-res skins pack available either from the main site, or coming with the game, by the time S2 goes final. There are so many great skins out there now; they should be used to show LFS off. A choicer selection of setups wouldn't go astray either.
Quote from JJ72 :IF this is about progress of LFS someone would have said something about HOW actually we can find that extra development pace

The thing is, we are powerless in this respect. What can we do other than voice our opinion or give constant suggestions? All we can rely on is that the devs hear us, and quite possibly let them see some reasoning behind what we say. But I'd bet it is just disregarded as the usual banter on forums and it gets no chance or fair view from the devs or others.

If I wanted to see the pace become faster, the only possible idea would be to have more developers on the team. But I think that is highly unlikely to happen. We can't go into saying how the developers should work on their time schedules and ignore their living duties... Though, as we are all customers, I think it is OK to be worried about what goes on behind the curtain, and try shed some light on what needs attention from the devs.

If you look at a lot of improvement suggestions, they are never in the realm of physics updates. Kind of a sign, and I think it holds true that the physics are pretty damn good right now, and perhaps the focus should be directed on other things right now for S2 final (e.g. visual content and gameplay features).
Quote : If you look at a lot of improvement suggestions, they are never in the realm of physics updates. Kind of a sign

We're sending mixed messages really. One of the latest polls suggested that physics improvements were at the top of people's concerns for development. Graphical updates were relatively low down on the list.
What poll was that? I'd just like to see, dunno if I remember it, or have even seen it.
Just a side note, quoted from Scawen who posted this just now:

A note about timing, it will definitely not be released fully this week, there is too much to do still. Patch X release should be around Friday 11 May or a week later on Friday 18 May.

Well, to Ian. H. It's somehow different to your website case, the devs havent made any promise nor any contracts with us regarding his job. What we bought is the contents that is already existed, what other patches or updates that come after your purchasing of license is like an extra.

More also, using the same concept, we can't expect anything from the devs for S3, this is simply because we haven't purchased the S3 license. Once it is released, we will buy the S3 license and we will get the contents that come along with the first S3 patch, and well, that's it. No contracts, regulations or whatever promises from the devs to state that they will further update S3, just like we bought S2.

I hope I am not sounding offensive to you, I clearly understand your point. And if you feel any offensive from me, I hereby apologize to you. Ya, I am fairly new to this community as you can look at my registration date. Therefore, at this moment, I haven't any complaints yet. However, I do understand your position and concern, and you have stated a strong point that most patches have been done be Scawen. He is doing a good job, but for eye-candies and some high-res graphics that all of us expect from Eric, does somehow do not have any clue about them. Yep, 53 weeks from the last update from Eric is a long time. It is, and DX7 is already out-dated. Maybe they want to keep the older computers on running LFS? Well, that isn't a point. For me, I am also looking forward for Scawen rewriting the code to get advantage of the dual core processor. He has stated that it is on his list, but need to take any a month to do so.

Well, last but not least, this is one of the best threads that I've ever seen in this forum. Despite the funny team recruiting threads at the team section, there are still too many pointless threads. Keep this one as a clean and high-quality discussion.
Most of us have probably settled into the realisation that there is no point hoping for anything, ever. It's a shame, I know we get "updates" but rarely one that makes a great deal of difference.
They must surely have considered the possibility of people getting bored of the current cars/tracks, like Ian H. Maybe they have decided that there is nothing they can do about it, maybe they don't want to do anything about it.

It doesn't matter, but when there isn't even a possible release of a major update marked on the calendar it's easy to imagine a lot of people drifting away.
The way I see it with the graphics is like this. Progress with dx has vastly improved and is still continuously being improved with the support of dx10 now but pc capabilities ( hardware ) have also improved greatly since s1 was released. Now, if I was Scawen would I really want to spend the time to upgrade the gfx half way through development and then probably having to do it again to dx12 ot whatever stage we will be at for s3 few years down the line when people again will complain about how dated LFS looks. Surely it makes more sense to work on the grounding fundamentals ( physics, online play and other features) and then rework the gfx engine based on the dx that is out at that time.

I have just spent the last hour reading this thread, Ian and Tweaker bring up valid points and with some I couldn't agree more but I would rather see the graphics left well alone and get other things finished first and then rework the rendering gfx engine.

Obviously talking about graphics it isn't all about just dx, modelling also plays a big part and I do agree that quite a few things in LFS look low poly and do need a serious upgrade. I think the cars could possibly do with remodelling and some of the tracks too. Saying that though when I play is still have a blast, the visual experience for me is still enough to get me to enjoy this game, there are other things that irritate me more that the gfx. Taking my league race experience for yesterday, have any of you played Fe Green Reversed??????? OMG...if you haven't then i suggest you try it... the amount of times you can flip the car just by touching the kerbs slightly is ridiculous, and then when you do flip if you happen to touch you wheels on the barriers you instantly get a shot of NOS and take of like a rocket!!!! (referring to extreme flight). These are the things that bother me the most about lfs and that need fixing asap, not the graphics not the sounds. I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, but I have become a great fan of lfs. It has over the last 2 years really grown on me, so much infact that I haven't touched another racing sim for the past year and a half (Excluding MBTR truck racing of course).

I truly hope that Eric has a vast amount of stuff ready for us, by the sounds of it 2 remodelled track environments and gtr cockpits as he's been getting most of the bashing around here from people which I think is to the fact that he has been the least active member of the ScaViEr crew on these forums, it would have been nice to have Eric appear here, say hi, drop a few lines to the community, show us what he has been working on with some mouth watering screenies. I think the fact that it has only been Scawen and Victor who post has made Eric an easy person to attack as many see this as him not being as active with the community. But I guess that's his personal choice. I think Eric has been working hard over the last year and he will prove us all wrong come patch Y

mad
I just don't understand one thing, the devs have made some serious money from this project already and they fully deserve it, but why don't they invest some of that money back to lfs, i mean they can hire some help and take advantage of the fact that they have a great product in making. There is so much to do that is pretty much clear it would take forever for them to finish this game. I don't know, it feels like the lfs can knock down any competition with some serious work, but i feel it's imposible job for a two man team. They can get some skilled ppl and in no time (a year or two) we can have an almost perfect racing game and maybe some licensed content (licensed content is not expense, it's investment, because license content mean more sales and more sales mean more money). Well i also understand that they maybe have theire on vision of how things should be done, of course, but i also think it's kind of waste to see this game not coming, in therms of speed of development, to what it really can be.
#95 - JJ72
Glad you see the point Ian.

First, they don't work trapped in a office with a boss watching their back, they are their own boss and we are just customers, and just not the usual customers, we are a group of loyal customers who have more then a fair share of patience, so their motivation is their own quest in creating what is a great online racing simulator - so it's down to them really. Money might also be a motivation, but they are bold enough to quit their all time job for this, so I guess their economical needs aren't pressing enough to make them superhuman.

They might be moody and not very transparent, they keep things in their head and do make huge promise, it's the nature of "artists", however it's the same character that make LFS possible, it's why LFS have gone down a different route, and that's why it is special - special in a sense that with different priorities than usual game developers, they manage to use very little man power to create what is a very respectable sim.

So to me it is PERFECTLY NORMAL that LFS is lagging behind in other aspect, again just think about the odds.

I am a freelance designer as well and I know how it is, doing a website is one thing, it's merely handful of weeks for a project to be completed. But making a sim is a matter of years, keeping up the same level of commitment and concentration over such a long time is difficult, furthermore they ain't nobody who is trying to build their reputation, they are already accomplished individuals in their own field, just trying to do things the way they want to be after years in the industry, so in a sense, this is a hobby project, just a very big and serious hobby project, if a hobby project become the same as a standard practice, then there's no point doing it right?

If scavier set out to do LFS with the same priority as common game developers, we won't get LFS as it is. It could be something more mainstream, more updated, however less unique, and for that genre we have more then enough choice already, and still there's no way they can compete against big companies all on their own.

You think they are slacking, maybe part of it down to the differences in your priority and theirs, take insim/outsim for example, it is a coder's sandbox that does not matter to you, however to some people, people who make their own cockpit/controlling device/remote host control it is important, and they do make up of part of sim racer's population, I don't mess with insim myself but I could understand the value of that.

All in all, the problem is the same as the solution.

the problem of LFS is that.... it is just what it is. the business model is the problem, however without this business model...LFS will never happen, it might have been sold to some publishers, revamped and dumbed down for a BTCC game.

So fact is, the root of the problem, is the root of everything. change it, there's no LFS to complain about. and I wouldn't bother if it becomes GTR3 or TOCA4, people will complain about the lost of personality and everything in the game industry going the same directly and we need something fresh...

To say LFS is a bad commerical product...is just stating the obvious in my opinion. As my first reply say, love it or frustrated by it, we are emotionally attached by it, how many game in the world makes you feel that way?
Feel is a very vague thing yes, however it is also very true and no body knows how you can design that.

To talk about how we can progress LFS better, I think we must work within the business model. If that is denied, then any suggestions would be out of context.
#96 - JJ72
Quote from Tweaker :The thing is, we are powerless in this respect. What can we do other than voice our opinion or give constant suggestions? All we can rely on is that the devs hear us, and quite possibly let them see some reasoning behind what we say. But I'd bet it is just disregarded as the usual banter on forums and it gets no chance or fair view from the devs or others.

If I wanted to see the pace become faster, the only possible idea would be to have more developers on the team. But I think that is highly unlikely to happen. We can't go into saying how the developers should work on their time schedules and ignore their living duties... Though, as we are all customers, I think it is OK to be worried about what goes on behind the curtain, and try shed some light on what needs attention from the devs.

If you look at a lot of improvement suggestions, they are never in the realm of physics updates. Kind of a sign, and I think it holds true that the physics are pretty damn good right now, and perhaps the focus should be directed on other things right now for S2 final (e.g. visual content and gameplay features).

Mate, that is exactly why I say this is not about the development of LFS. WE ARE NOT IN THE POSITION TO CHANGE ANYTHING.

and that's why I say periodical unleash of frustration is a part of being in the LFS community, I in no point, blame them for feeling different.

I don't think it will make you feel better, but my advice will be lay back a bit, and have faith. For things you cannot change, change your mindset, if LFS gets too big it frustrates you, you always can find something else to focus on.

Every relationship is like that.
I have to agree with what Madman said about the physics, and also getting the important issues fixed before concentrating on the eye candy...
People on this thread have been screaming for more high textures/more polys...but have they stopped to consider one thing? More polygons = less framerate!!! There are a number of people that are reporting a drastic drop in framerates due to the increased number of cars; increase the polycount now and they will be playing LFS as a slideshow!
When, eventually, the main code has been tweaked to accommodate dual core processors/DX10/etc, THEN is the time to start pushing the eye candy barriers...not before!
Quote from keithano :Just a side note, quoted from Scawen who posted this just now:

A note about timing, it will definitely not be released fully this week, there is too much to do still. Patch X release should be around Friday 11 May or a week later on Friday 18 May.

Well that's really not good news.. if X is due for May, I don't expect to see patch Y until at least Xmas

Quote :Well, to Ian. H. It's somehow different to your website case, the devs havent made any promise nor any contracts with us regarding his job.

Of course they have.. they happily took my money. Granted, they're not working _for me_ as such, but they do have an obligation now to produce.. and after 2 years of not producing the product in full, I feel I'm entitled to be a little displeased about this.

Quote :What we bought is the contents that is already existed, what other patches or updates that come after your purchasing of license is like an extra.

No, I prepaid for S2 (in it's final form).. of which I don't yet have. I don't pay £2 a week until the updates are complete, I paid the full amount, yet haven't received the full product... this isn't a case of putting down a deposit.

Quote :More also, using the same concept, we can't expect anything from the devs for S3, this is simply because we haven't purchased the S3 license. Once it is released, we will buy the S3 license and we will get the contents that come along with the first S3 patch, and well, that's it. No contracts, regulations or whatever promises from the devs to state that they will further update S3, just like we bought S2.

I don't expect anything from S3 and most _definitely_ will not be pre-paying again (once bitten n all that).. I _do_ however, expect S2 and a long time ago. I _have_ paid, in full, for S2, but don't have it in my possession.

Quote :I hope I am not sounding offensive to you, I clearly understand your point. And if you feel any offensive from me, I hereby apologize to you.

Nope, not at all. I don't get offended easily and prefer people to say exactly what they feel.. it's how I work and fully expect / accept the same in return.. I'm also open to discussing this sort of thing rather than "I'm right 100% of the time".. so all's good

Quote :Ya, I am fairly new to this community as you can look at my registration date. Therefore, at this moment, I haven't any complaints yet. However, I do understand your position and concern, and you have stated a strong point that most patches have been done be Scawen. He is doing a good job, but for eye-candies and some high-res graphics that all of us expect from Eric, does somehow do not have any clue about them.

Certainly... I couldn't code what Scawen has, not anything close.. it's not my area of coding, but does seem like he's bored of the main core right now and just faffing about with other, insignificant areas of LFS (insim, scripting, etc).

What Eric is doing is anyone's guess. We've all had the smoke blown up our arses in regards to what he's doing, yet failed to see evidence of any of it. I don't think he's sitting in the corner scratching his nuts, but would be nice to see some proof that what's been said about his area of updates is actually materialising.. afterall, I've already paid for his updates, surely I'm entitled to see the progress? Wouldn't you expect to hear progress from Ferrari say, if you'd paid for a model that was being built for you if you asked? Only difference is LFS is being built for everyone rather than an individual.

Quote :Yep, 53 weeks from the last update from Eric is a long time. It is, and DX7 is already out-dated. Maybe they want to keep the older computers on running LFS? Well, that isn't a point. For me, I am also looking forward for Scawen rewriting the code to get advantage of the dual core processor. He has stated that it is on his list, but need to take any a month to do so.

It is good that LFS runs on lower end boxes. I only upgraded my gfx card just after S2 was released when my 64Mb onboard chip couldn't throw out much more than about 10fps. Now I get on average 60+ (I limit my FPS to 66) online and only have a AMD3000+, 1Gb RAM and an FX5900XT card, which as you can see, is hardly top of the range in today's world.. people _do _have to upgrade, it's the way it is.. or are we to expect S3 to still look like a 90s DX7 game because some people will still refuse to upgrade in 10 years time?

Quote :Well, last but not least, this is one of the best threads that I've ever seen in this forum. Despite the funny team recruiting threads at the team section, there are still too many pointless threads. Keep this one as a clean and high-quality discussion.

I'm hoping it'll be somewhat productive, but not holding my breath.. but am glad that it hasn't turned into a piss fight (yet?) and that as "heated" as it may be, it seems to be fairly adult so far

Regards,

Ian
That is not a very balanced poll if you think about it.

Basically that is pointing at either Scawen or Eric for who should do what. Saying you want physics changes brings in a WHOLE lot of little things that people are nagging about in that thread... be it proper diffs, better collision detection, etc. That is far too easy to outweigh results on the basis that updated/new cars and/or tracks are really just a singular item and don't fall into a ton of other sub-categories like with physics.

But the other thing that is funny is that physics are done by Scawen, and tracks/cars are done by Eric. So that poll basically says Scawen should work harder on physics updates, and Eric should do nothing (or the least amount is expected of him)? They both can do work at the same time you know, and I think Scawen is putting his fair bit of work into the game as we speak, it is just sad to see results showing they don't want Eric to work on some new goodies, who wouldn't want such content?
This thread is closed

My, How Time Flies
(191 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG