The online racing simulator
Quote from Rooble :They need to sound right too, the current LFS sounds wouldn't do justice to such a beautiful machine!

Like Audi has proven, diesel engines just hums, wind noise suits that perfectly
#27 - wark
LM car(s) will probably come about the same time we get 24 hr time (as per flight simulator) and working lights, which is to say, don't hold your breath! :sour:
And don't forget the rain! Although being based in CA you probably don't know what that is!
+1
A coupe and an open roof one would be cool. Then maybe a third "joker". Just like the GTR's, 3 cars to choose from.
This is a really nice idea, I've always wanted to try and drive such a car. And to get such one into LFS would just bring the game to the next level
+1

since ever I want this in LFS. I thought to suggest this soon but you made a move

LMP car(s) for LFS +1
Quote from MAGGOT :Oh God... IMHO the 908 is the ugliest thing to hit sportscar racing since the Chaparral 2J. And at least the 2J was innovative, the 908 is just ugly. hahaha

Nah, the ugliest thing to hit a racing track are those Hotrods XD

I like it anyways, I used to drive a Peugeot so I think that counts

what about a 787B?
A 787B would be sweet; but IIRC it was diabolically hard to drive. Still a beautiful car, though
+1
I always wanted to have prototypes.
Quote from Kid222 :It would be cool, but we don't have tracks for it.

Lol... most all of the tracks are TOO suited for this type of car.
Aston
Kyoto
Blackwood
Westhill

All high-speed LM/prototype style tracks

There really are few slow demanding non-prototype courses in LFS.
Quote from MAGGOT :A 787B would be sweet; but IIRC it was diabolically hard to drive. Still a beautiful car, though

How bout the Mercedes/Sauber C9 that was killing that year till it over heated with a few hours to go...
How about Mercedes-Benz CLR? But then we would need "instant jump" goofy button like Viper Racing had to make it get airborne in a completely flat straight.
+100000!
#38 - wark
Quote from Hammerdown :And don't forget the rain! Although being based in CA you probably don't know what that is!

I should damn well know what rain is, coming from Hollywood! They even have machines for that stuff!
For those who think we don't have the tracks, have a look at this year's ALMS Schedule. Houston, St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Detroit are all street courses. Then there is Lime Rock which is more like a club circuit. Sprinkle in the longer rollercoaster tracks like Road Atlanta and Mosport, with a dash of airport goodness with Sebring.

LeMans spec cars can race on nearly any type of paved racetrack.
Amen, Brother MAGGOT
#41 - wark
Quote from MAGGOT :For those who think we don't have the tracks, have a look at this year's ALMS Schedule. Houston, St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Detroit are all street courses. Then there is Lime Rock which is more like a club circuit. Sprinkle in the longer rollercoaster tracks like Road Atlanta and Mosport, with a dash of airport goodness with Sebring.

LeMans spec cars can race on nearly any type of paved racetrack.

And Long Beach--which race I missed this year.
Bah, i really think the Rolex series (Daytona Prototypes + GT3 cars) has been way better thus far this year.

Daytona 24
Mexico City
Homestead, FL
Virginia International Raceway

All have been awesome events thus far. The Cars aren't as exotic, but the racing is real tight with lots of passing. VIR is an AWESOME racetrack. Plus I got to go see the Daytona 24.

I'm not sure which class (Daytona Prototype, or LMP-1, LMP-2) would be more fun to drive though.

Can we all agree the old Classic Ferrari 333SP, with its 600+ HP Naturally Aspirated V12 would be mind-blowing?
http://www.kimini.com/Diaries/2006Nov-March07/131_3166.JPG
http://www.kimini.com/Diaries/2006Nov-March07/131_3167.JPG

It only one of the Cleanest Purest Prototypes ever raced. Once the organizers started adding the Stupid Air inlet restrictors, the car was pretty much strangled, but unrestricted.... Anybody else remember it vs the Fords @ Daytona 24? The Ferrari BLEW past on the high banks at up to 220mph, the ford would claw back on the infield, and so on and so on...

Awesome Car.
Yes, the DP's give much closer racing. But they're ugly. Oh so ugly (especially that damned Riley chassis! ICK!) The only DP that looks any good is the Crawford. The rest are hideous.

I prefer my LeMans protos for the technology and the sexy lines. I do watch the Rolex series though, for the racing. VIR is one helluva track, that's for sure.
+1^999999999, that is always +1
Quote from MAGGOT :Yes, the DP's give much closer racing. But they're ugly. Oh so ugly (especially that damned Riley chassis! ICK!) The only DP that looks any good is the Crawford. The rest are hideous.

I prefer my LeMans protos for the technology and the sexy lines. I do watch the Rolex series though, for the racing. VIR is one helluva track, that's for sure.

Have you seen the plans for next year?

I believe it will be able to mimic the manufacturers road cars.

Alfa Romeo has a prototype of what they'd like to enter, looks pretty radical. Not Quite there, but a step in the right direction.

The cars are better in person, the tv and pics just ruin them imo. Its oh-so funny also, everytime the rear-bodywork gets removed/blown off in races, as there's nothing there! you expect to see the motor, but its just so low you can't see it.

Will try and linkify the alfa concept
I'd like to see an image of the new one, but DPs look painfully slow and I would much rather the 24 hours of Daytona took place on a modified track with real cars (ACO LMPs and GT1/GT2 cars, there isn't much difference between FIA and ACO rules other than the different size limits.).

Even with them looking like road cars, my view is that there is a simple difference between prototypes and GT cars, and the difference should be clear. A GT car is a modifed road car, a prototype doesn't look like one. The current ones look fine, but the 911 GT1 (which should have been sued under the trade descriptions act).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I ... e:Porsche_911_GT1_'98.jpg

Stevie Wonder could tell it wasn't a 911, but fans should be able to know the difference between a GT car and a prototype. Nothing is wrong with the current crop of LMPs, I just hope we don't go down the slippery slope of lousy silhouette cars again.

EDIT : And I like the look of the 908.
If you think the 911 GT1 EVO was a throw away from the 911, what do you think about the Toyota GT-One? It WAS a proto! hahaha

Personally, I loved those GT-1 cars. They were more like GTP cars, but GTPs have always, and will always, be my favorite race cars, so I'm slightly biased. They should not have been called GT1 cars, though.
Quote from duke_toaster :I'd like to see an image of the new one, but DPs look painfully slow and I would much rather the 24 hours of Daytona took place on a modified track with real cars (ACO LMPs and GT1/GT2 cars, there isn't much difference between FIA and ACO rules other than the different size limits.).

Even with them looking like road cars, my view is that there is a simple difference between prototypes and GT cars, and the difference should be clear. A GT car is a modifed road car, a prototype doesn't look like one. The current ones look fine, but the 911 GT1 (which should have been sued under the trade descriptions act).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I ... e:Porsche_911_GT1_'98.jpg

Stevie Wonder could tell it wasn't a 911, but fans should be able to know the difference between a GT car and a prototype. Nothing is wrong with the current crop of LMPs, I just hope we don't go down the slippery slope of lousy silhouette cars again.

EDIT : And I like the look of the 908.

Not sure i completely agree/follow.

The daytona 24 has always been held on the oval/infield road course.

The DP cars don't really resemble road cars at all. They aren't exactly slow either, they were lapping the GT (911 GTR RSR race cars alot of em) cars within a matter of 3 laps IIRC from sitting at the infield.

The link you provide doesn't work.

I agree the difference should be clear. I hated DP when it was first introduced. Give me Ferrari V12 333SP any day of the week. R8, 787b, 956, C9, Bentley Speed 8, Toyota GT-one, all incredible machines.

The joys of prototypes(not-DP style) is the uniqueness of the ideas and machinery. This is something not really seen in LFS IMO. For the most part the LFS cars are non-descript vague and have clearly designed influences... Sounds like the Daytona Prototypes to me.

Think about this:
Someone outside LFS asks you what the FZR is, you say "basically a GT3 911, with some Ferrari styling ques". A fox? "Basically a lightweight open wheel Formula Atlantic, F3 clone"

Even our RL cars are so Germanic without any real ingenuity or identity. The BF1, same spec and shape as every other F1 car last year. The RAC, small manufactured MR roadster. Even the Formula SAE didn't show any outward uniqueness. I'm so Tired about engines I don't care about...

I'd love to see something with so much passion, identity, and distinguishing features like the 333SP in LFS. Ferrari V12 so unmistakable, the classic prototype shape, and did i mention that engine? Give us something that INSTANTLY draws a quick skip of the heart, makes the blood flow. Every LFS'er knows what we've got is a secret to the rest of the world. Give one something that captures the uninformed imagination (the BF1 tried, but didn't succeed IMO) and let them discover LFS magic!
Quote from MAGGOT :Personally, I loved those GT-1 cars. They were more like GTP cars, but GTPs have always, and will always, be my favorite race cars, so I'm slightly biased. They should not have been called GT1 cars, though.

I have no issue per se with a proto with a roof, but I personally like a clear distinction. LMPs* should outperform GT1s which should outperform GT2s.

* As seen as we are pontificating, IMO the LMP2s should be given a bigger hole in their air restrictor than they are now, and pitted against the LMP1s. BOOM! Simplified. IMO VdeV/Britsport type cars should be admitted as an LMP3 - if not at LM24, maybe in British GT, making it a BLMS.

The problem with modern prototype racing (big teams not caring about LMES) could be done this way - make the LMES season run from August to May, end the season with LM24 and use the season standings (and ALMS teams) as prequalifying for the Le Mans 24 hour race.
Something like that would be cool, something faster than BMW Sauber but easier to drive. Think about keyboard drivers like me, what can we do with a 700hp and 800kg car? Yes, we can do nothing with it, its impossible to drive with kb. Just make it easy to drive so its fun to drive it...

24h Le Mans special car for LFS
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG