The online racing simulator
More of a change, than an addition...
Whilst racing the other day, I noticed a .. Well, it's not a bug. But an inaccuracy in the simulation. A speedometer measures wheel-speed, not ground-speed. Therefore, while cornering, or wheel-spinning, a speedo will fluctuate as the wheels leave the ground (Turn faster) or spin on the spot. Also, whilst over-turned, a speedo should measure the speed of the wheels, which it doesn't.

In my opinion, this hits the realism-factor with a big hammer. Serious anti-realism there. True-speed (Not wheel-speed) indicators are arcade-style, not sim-style.
You're right, but this has come up numorous times...
Ah. Oh. Hmm, my bad, then! I tried searching, but obviously not hard enough
I wish I could tell you to search, but alas there is little to search.

Have a peep at RSC. There were LOTS of posts about this.

I don't mind it at all anyway. I NEVER notice it, so it's hardly gonna be a reason someone doesn't buy LFS (unless they have the IQ of a frog with learning difficulties).
I agree that this is a small problem, but still, it is a problem. The speedo should be reading off the transmission as in a real car.

In the end, this is WAY down on my list of "things that should be changed", but it still should be changed eventually.
Yes, I agree. It's just a ... *Twitch*... Thing I have. I'm picky

But yes.. And Tristan, what is RSC? (Norwich, eh? I live in GT.Yar, )
RSC, or that, which until a few days ago, was the home of the LFS community.
Yes this is one of the small things that have to be changed before LFS becomes a perfect sim. I hope they will change it at some point, but really no need to hurry.
Quote from BlackSpider :
In my opinion, this hits the realism-factor with a big hammer. Serious anti-realism there. True-speed (Not wheel-speed) indicators are arcade-style, not sim-style.

I never understood this argument, what the hell does it have to do with
realism ?!? I mean, speedometers in our cars work as they do because of
various circumstances. Nothing is stopping anyone from reading actual
spacial velocity like in LFS, but that would take MORE work irl, LFS is simply
one step ahead real life on this one. That some people can't see this
amazes me.
There would be one problem in real life, Dyno runs. The wheels would be spinning at say 100MPH, but the car wouldnt be moving, thats maybe why we dont use it in real life????

Anyways, i think it should be changed, and its not a sim if its in the future, becuase nobody knows what will be in the future!!
Quote from Fonnybone :I never understood this argument, what the hell does it have to do with
realism ?!? I mean, speedometers in our cars work as they do because of
various circumstances. Nothing is stopping anyone from reading actual
spacial velocity like in LFS, but that would take MORE work irl, LFS is simply
one step ahead real life on this one. That some people can't see this
amazes me.

With that argument, you could also say we should have standard-fitted NOS in every car, and maybe some hover-cars, too. The 'it could happen' can apply to almost *every* argument ever put forth.
Just imagine LFS's speedometer is GPS based
Quote from marsden1002 :There would be one problem in real life, Dyno runs. The wheels would be spinning at say 100MPH, but the car wouldnt be moving, thats maybe why we dont use it in real life????

I''ve never heard of someone using a Dyno to test speeds =/

It's a small bug, and I think it's not neccesaary to change it. Theres more important things at hand.
I agree, it's small. But it's still something that should be on the agenda. If realism is the goal, then making things match real things is the key. Not rocket science
Actually, on my bike (motorcycle), the speed is measured at the front, undriven wheel by a magnetic speed sensor. So, technically it is possible for the front wheel to just happen to be out of contact with the ground (gee, wonder how that could happen... ) and for the speedo to read 0 mph while the bike is moving.

So there.
I don't doubt that, and I also don't doubt that the speedo in a car can read 0 whilst moving, but I'm not saying that. I'm saying that whilst the wheels that measure speed are in motion, they should be registering on the speedo. If you were spinning that front wheel of your bike, it would read on the speedo, ground contact or not.

So there. :P
Hehe Forbin, that should help keep the mileage down. I know someone who installed a switch into the circuit for his odometer, and he just turns it off for long journeys. Helps depreciation no end.
Technically, a lot of cars have the speed sensor mounted to the differential. If it measured pulses off of one ring gear or the other it would be possible to spin one tire and still not see the speed spike on the speedometer.

Just adding fuel to the fire. :tempted:
Quote from Hallen :Technically, a lot of cars have the speed sensor mounted to the differential. If it measured pulses off of one ring gear or the other it would be possible to spin one tire and still not see the speed spike on the speedometer.

Just adding fuel to the fire. :tempted:

:fence:

Touché, heh

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG