The online racing simulator
an impartial view
(37 posts, started )
an impartial view
ok, i need help with something. im picking the pairings for a race, but want it to be as impartial as it can be, so im getting someone who dont have anything to do with the cup.

if you can help, itll be maybe 5 mins, then pm me and ill tell you how it goes.

thanks
v4
i can help

BTW, what is it?
well, i need someone to pick, at random, number, which in turn represent people in this cup. so that its totally random, and not fixed
will, u got mail....well a pm
dammit, i wish i knew about that, oh well, tis done now
I would have said, 42 - the answer to everything!
#9 - (SaM)
Never let a human being make random numbers, everyone has a preference for certain numbers, just because people have souls. CPUs dont have souls, let a computer do a random number.

Those are computer generated numbers. 100% random.
But isn't the random number generator built using an algorithm, which is potentially workoutable...

Computers can't do real random...
Quote from tristancliffe :But isn't the random number generator built using an algorithm, which is potentially workoutable...

Computers can't do real random...

jup and most/all algorithms that generate pseudo random numbers will never perfectly match a uniform distribution
Yea, that's true, computers only know logic and calculate on formulas, they dont know random, nor chaos. 99% random then.
Still beats people making 'random' numbers.
Ok, i see you're done, but heres some numbers anyway..

4 8 15 16 23 42.

Just dont use them on the lottery or you'll open the box, and bad things will happen to those around you. :twitch:
We could get more confusing and choose the number 0!!!!
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Ok, i see you're done, but heres some numbers anyway..

4 8 15 16 23 42.

Just dont use them on the lottery or you'll open the box, and bad things will happen to those around you. :twitch:

Lol or end up typing them on ur PC every couple of hours for decades.. watch out, 42 is evil, Evil I tell you!!
#16 - ysu
I can't believe you guys can't create a random number...have you forgotten dice completely? ;-)
throw a couple of rolls with d100 and you're good :-)
that'll be as random as possible, no algorithms, no human factor - unless the dice are leaded :-)
But surely the result of the dice depends on the human?

lol how deep can we get on this subject :zombie:
Quote from Tweaker :lol how deep can we get on this subject :zombie:

pretty deep ... i guess the only way to creat a random number is to find a chaotic process whos chaotic nature is a direct cause of some quantumphysical event that has equiprobable outcomes ... apart from that i cant see any easy ways to create a truly redundancy free sequence
Quote from Shotglass :pretty deep ... i guess the only way to creat a random number is to find a chaotic process whos chaotic nature is a direct cause of some quantumphysical event that has equiprobable outcomes ... apart from that i cant see any easy ways to create a truly redundancy free sequence

Krhmm... chaos isn't actually random. It just might be complex enough

Human is as good source of random as anything else, if the method of selecting numbers isn't known. But very true, this gets very easily "deep". Been studying it for couple of years now... Cyco me..illepall

Oh, one more thing about chaos. It's generally generated with mathematical functions so it's predictable kind of same way as any outcome from mathematical function with given input.
In my humble opinion thre is no such thing as a random number. And, when the number is picked, it suddenly is 'special'.
Quote from Shotglass :pretty deep ... i guess the only way to creat a random number is to find a chaotic process whos chaotic nature is a direct cause of some quantumphysical event that has equiprobable outcomes ... apart from that i cant see any easy ways to create a truly redundancy free sequence

Thermal noise is used in natural ways to create natural noise in hardware which is then translated into random numbers. This is the only way to do real random with a computer that I've seen used.

http://www.newscientist.com/ar ... ?id=dn6289&lpos=home2

Someday those chips will come down to, say, the price of a cheap audio chip, and it will become a common feature in computers.
ha ha ha, all i wanted was a quick hand, and i get a 20 post thread, lol
haha just throw some numbered papers inside a bag :P
-
(Julppu) DELETED by Julppu
Quote from v4forlife :ha ha ha, all i wanted was a quick hand, and i get a 20 post thread, lol

The geek factor

#25 - ysu
Quote from Barroso :haha just throw some numbered papers inside a bag :P

...and then find a random person to draw one! :-)

an impartial view
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG