The online racing simulator
shift+F4 => PC freezes :(
(13 posts, started )
Hi folks!
recently i got an annoying bug in my lfs game. Everytime I press shift+F4 my computer freezes completely and I have to push the reset-button to restart it. Otherwise the game runs perfectly without any problems. Has anyone a suggestion what could be the cause of this problem or what I could do against it? I consider the window-function of the game pretty useful so I don't want to do without it.

Thanks in advance and I hope I didn't make to much mistakes (my last english-lesson lies far behind :tilt

Greetings

aimbottle
what are your system specs, and what other kinda 'stuff' do you have running in the background?
Try fooling around with the graphics settings, switching things on and off. Well, actually if it causes you to reboot, it's better to set them all to "minimum" and switch the other settings around (like VSync) to minimalize the times you have to reboot (). Just try to make a "total opposite" of your current settings.

Also, what screen resolution are you running in? Maybe it tries to set it to a bogus one, causing the crash. Look what's set at the "resolutions page" (where you can set the screen resolution and color depth).

Other than that, I can't really see how it should be LFSs fault, as that's pretty basic DirectX stuff. Maybe you're running an old DX version (9.0c is the newest one)? Or try updating your graphics card drivers.
got a athlon xp 3200+, geforce 6800 gt, 1 gig of ram, asus a7n8x-e deluxe, windows xp home.
in the background runs norton anti-virus, nv-templogger (logs the temperature of the graphicscard), wingman profiler and asus probe (logs the temperature of the cpu).
i don't think there's a hardware problem or a conflict with the background-programms, because in the beginning everything worked well...

i hope you can help me..

Greetz

aimbottle

€dit: AndroidXP: I really don't want to turn the settings down, becaus with these specs i should be able to run lfs in a high quality, but i'll try installing newer drivers right away when i get home today (didn't think of that myself... ).
I run the game in 1280x1024 and if i dont turn to windowed-mode theres absolutly no problem.
yes, reinstalling graphic drivers maybe can solve that prob!
Hmm, try disabling Norton Anti-Virus, maybe some heuristics checker is messing up (as so often). You know, the AV is actually something that is changing constantly (well, I hope you update regularily, do you? but thats OT ) and maybe some new algorithms detect whatever LFS does while changing window mode as "bad" and it tries to block the action.

The other programs should be fine as I use them too.

Other than that, I'm currently running 81.85 on a 6600GT and they work fine. I also like them because some earlier series (78.xx ?) screwed up the drawing of the car windows.

OT: What kind of temperatures do you get on your GFX card? I'm currently very unhappy with mine as graphics intense programs (luckily not LFS) get it up to 90°C where slight artifacts already start to happen. It doesn't downclock itself and the temp limit at 127°C is just pathetic.

I tried already everything imaginable; now there's basically an own fan blowing directly at that thing with cool 21°C air (well, the fan is actually on the outside - I love constructing weird things ) but that barely keeps it under the artifact-limit. What's also funny is that as soon as the graphics drawing process is interrupted the temperature IMMEDIATELY drops about 10° and goes down back to 55 in no time, vice versa if it starts calculating again. Already tried downclocking manually but no change .
Hey the same thing happens to me when in game- and i have a similar rig to yours. (+ i have tried different drivers and it still happens)

the only thing that i have found that stops it is pitting before hitting shift+F4 and it doesnt seem to crash.

1 question- does the game crash your PC when you minimise the screen, or when you try to get back in? mine always happens on the latter (doesnt anymore because i pit 1st)

hope this helps a little.

Pete
Quote from AndroidXP :

OT: What kind of temperatures do you get on your GFX card? I'm currently very unhappy with mine as graphics intense programs (luckily not LFS) get it up to 90°C where slight artifacts already start to happen. It doesn't downclock itself and the temp limit at 127°C is just pathetic.

I tried already everything imaginable; now there's basically an own fan blowing directly at that thing with cool 21°C air (well, the fan is actually on the outside - I love constructing weird things ) but that barely keeps it under the artifact-limit. What's also funny is that as soon as the graphics drawing process is interrupted the temperature IMMEDIATELY drops about 10° and goes down back to 55 in no time, vice versa if it starts calculating again. Already tried downclocking manually but no change .

sounds like there is a problem with the fan on your gfx card. you should try re-fitting the heat sync fan with the aid of some conductive gel or getting a replacement fan (which should produce lower temps anyway) e.g. Arctic Cooling Rev.2 nVidia 6 (6600 Series) VGA Silencer
Quote from AndroidXP :OT: What kind of temperatures do you get on your GFX card? I'm currently very unhappy with mine as graphics intense programs (luckily not LFS) get it up to 90°C where slight artifacts already start to happen. It doesn't downclock itself and the temp limit at 127°C is just pathetic.

Recently I had a similar problem, but my card completly screwed up and shut down when it got to hot. I solved the problem by installing an additional fan and cleaning the cards own fan and heatsink (!). Now everything works fine provided that my heating installation isn't running to high. But my card only manages a temperature about 75° or it will screw. (HL2 ~ 70°)

Quote from Platinum Pete :Hey the same thing happens to me when in game- and i have a similar rig to yours. (+ i have tried different drivers and it still happens)

the only thing that i have found that stops it is pitting before hitting shift+F4 and it doesnt seem to crash.

1 question- does the game crash your PC when you minimise the screen, or when you try to get back in? mine always happens on the latter (doesnt anymore because i pit 1st)

hope this helps a little.

at first this option worked for me too (going to the pits before switching to windowed mod) and it only screwed up when switching back to fullscreen, but now it happens everytime I change mode wether I minimize or "go big" . Edit: I noted that it won't crash in the pits, but when i go back on track it lasts about two seconds and then... crash.

I don't know if its important, but after crashing the sound goes on every 5 seconds or so..., but only for an instant.

Greetz

aimbottle
OK. installed new drivers -> didn't crash since then...
but now my antialiasing and anisotropic filtering doesn't work any more...
grml
any suggestions?
Erm, when you install new drivers, all your profiles are overwritten IIRC. So when the LFS profile got erased, he also stops setting AA + AF for it

Personally, I made a backup of C:\windows\system32\nvapps.xml, which contains the profiles, so whenever a new driver is installed I copy my backup over the new file.
Yes I know that. I already made a new profile with 8xAA and 16xAF, but everything flickers as hell (Yuck! :banghead: )
That is even more annoying than the original problem....

Thx for all the answers so far... and please keep posting!

Edit: OK... now this is weird. i played around with the AA and AF settings a bit and noticed that AA works fine, but AF only works on the track and not on the trees/curbs/bridges or the fence..... now thats a strange problem.. I hope there's someone with an idea on this...

EDIT: FINALLY GOT IT FIXED!! ok it was just an option in the drivers menu. everything is good now. i just had to set "negative LOD bias" to "clamped" in the LFS profile and now it looks as it has to. and still no crashes when switching between windowed- and full-screen-mode

Thank you all for the help.

Greetz aimbottle
I'm having the same issue, which drivers are you using aimbottle?

Also, a note to others who may be having the same problem: Your computer will eventually recover... press the Windows key on your keyboard and wait a minute or so... it's better than risking Windows going all flaky and corrupt due to cached-writes not making it to the hard drive Also, don't try and go back into LFS... just close it and restart it.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG