The online racing simulator
problems detecting my DFP
(4 posts, started )
Ok I don't get this, I just got a DFP and I'm having this strange problem where if I have the usb plugged in windows won't start, it just goes to some strange screen and I have to shut the computer down. So now even if I have the wheel unplugged at startup when I plug it in a few minutes after startup I get a blue screen error and it doesn't detect the wheel. The only way I've been able to race is if my computer has been on for a while It willl calibrate it fine and it will read it in the profile. This isn't right though and it's really, really annoying. I had ordered another dfp a few weeks before this but it ended up having pedal problems right when I bought it so I took it back, it did the same thing with no starting windows while the wheel was plugged in, but once I started up i could plug it in and it would detect the wheel every time. I'm on Windows ME if that has anything to do with this, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the profiler. So does anyone know how to fix this or am I (likely) the only person that this has ever happened to.
sounds wiered m8 :S only think i can suggest is the normal routine stuff..
check the bios is the most current for your motherboard and make sure you have all the latest drivers also search the tech support sections of Windows ME, motherboard and the wheel manufacturer for any known issues.. oh one other thing comes to mind, have u used the usb port before? if u haven't maybe they got the connectors mixed up or something when assembling your pc..
If you're running Windows XP, or 2000, check the event logs. They're a gold mine of information (right click on my computer and goto manage).

Try removing the DFP drivers completely, reboot the machine a few times, and then download the latest drivers from wingman and start from scratch. If you get no luck, then I'd hazard a guess that it could be voltage/current issues from the PSU (a lot of USB devices can be very picky), there are some conflicting drivers (land of the IRQ's ahoy!), or that your windows install is screwed in some other unique way.

Edit:
I've just noticed you're running Win ME. Ignore my comment about event logs
Thanks for the help guys but no luck, at least I figured out a way for it to detect the wheel everytime. I have to plug in the usb right after startup before clicking anything. Anyways I can live with that until I get a new pc.

(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG