The online racing simulator
#1 - Dru
Non-championship race thoughts and aftermath.
Dear all,

Thankyou for attending tonights practice round of the UF1000 Mayhem Cup.

The qualifying session and race sessions threw up some interesting situatations which need some comments made on them to better the league in general.

All Drivers that attended tonights races are SIGNED up members to either Division 1 or 2.

There is a mix of abilities and race experience out there, so please bear this in mind with what happened tonight for the most questionable incident, namely the crash between JamieB and Kaw at the end of the qualifying session.

Q.Marshalls thoughts on the Incident between JamieB and Kaw.
After reviewing the replay for both drivers prespective the following can be made.

JamieB had a crash at the entrance of the fast chicane. The crash was caused by having too much speed and a bad line. This cuased her to have a HUGE swerve which took all the speed out of the car. Her Car finished pointing towards the left hand grass with her car on the racing line.
As soon as the car stopped the throttle was pressed and she was recovering to the saftey of the grass.

Unfortunately Kaw who was on a hot lap was coming into the chicane at full speed. Approaching the chicane the yellow flags were shown showing the incident, Kaw did not yield and drove the racing line where the recovering JamieB was.......

An accident occured.

There was no need for what then occured.

PRESS 1 to BAN SHOULD NOT OCCUR in this league EVER. If you have an incident and you think that it warrants review, wait until after the race, then post to the organisers of the league who will then review the video's and make judgement.

It is our opinion that a racing incident occur which MAY have been avoidable but it occured.

Both drivers are to blame, Jamie for spining (and to be honest should have already pitted to repair damage to her car sustained in earlier session errors) and Kaw for not slowing down when the yellow flags were showing (or at least expecing to come across the scene of an accident)

Race 2 Driver Race Conduct

Whilst we have not reviewed all tapes of the event, it is clear that in the second race (the sprint race) one driver had there 'fair' share of incidents.

I think there was at least 6 incidents recorded in 6 laps, these included, using other people to 'get around a corner' 'pushing' past people hits thereown team mate, driving off the race track to pass people.

Flooring it through the chicane and rather than lifting becuase the people in front were braking, deciding to just use the grass instead.
Pushing people off the track when they have passed the person. (do you actually use your mirrors or have ANY spacial awareness whatsoever??)

If this had been a championship race that person would have been disqualified for the sum of all the above listed actions and asked to leave the championship.

Let us hope that by next week this driver has learnt to driver somewhat better and will have a clean race series

On the whole the rest of the racing was fairly clean and it was good to see that people from the back of the grid had managed to get up through fairly scrape free and would score good points in both races.

Joining mid-race
Another point of note would be the late arrivals.
Any drivers that do not take to the starting grid are asked to specate for that race, please do not join (or if you have crashed off and shift-s back to the pits rejoin) the race.

Best regards nad see you a next week.

Dru
Ok, my views on tonights race.

Quali was ok until the incident of kaw and jamieB. I can't seriously say who was fully to blame for that, it was an unfortunate event and a classic example of being at the wrong place at the wrong moment. I do dislike the fact of a kick/ban vote for that person. If you want someone gone from the league, contact the admins.

Race 1 was pretty clean, only some minor incidents

Race 2, the usual reverse grid mayhem. There is a reason why the reverse grid race has less points which is (less points == less risk taking).
Good in theory, not in practice I guess. Hopefully in the official rounds drivers will remember this.

I also agree with Justin on this:
Quote from Dru :
Let us hope that by next week this driver has learnt to driver somewhat better and will have a clean race series

No need to name and shame because it's an unofficial race, but I do hope the driver in question knows it's about him becuase I don't wanna be taken out again.

To summarize this evening:
It was ok'ish. It provided the admins with some experience on how to deal with certain stuff, so that's a big plus.

The only thing I was not happy about was the moaning about the wind. I'm sure it has been stated somewhere that we will drive with variable weather and wind settings because I'm sure we all enjoy realism (that's why we have lfs right?), and driving in a sterile environment is hardly realistic. This is a racing league, not a hotlap league.
Agreed on what Dru said, i think Division 1 should be able to moderate itself reasonably well, it'll be competitive in there so there might be some hard driving but im hoping it wont be stupid wreckless stuff as was witnessed in the 2nd race.
I have no idea how it compared to the first, i'd *imagine* that has a far greater tendancy to run smoothly as its in order of fastest lap from qual, but turning the table on a pack of Div1 and Div2 drivers it was never going to be easy because you can never really know what they're going to do sometimes, i seemed to get caught up in every single incident that happened near me because I either couldnt avoid being collected or i'd slow just enough and someone else would go barrelling into me.

While that race really pi**ed me off at least i know come the start of the season i shouldnt have to worry about bad driving. My only concern is the short race being in reverse order, it kinda rewards the lucky and kicks the others in the teeth. The ones previously leading have to work through everyone in about 3 laps less than the feature race, 1 mistake sets you back quite a bit.
At least its half points and not the same, but i can see its going to be tricky getting through 15 fast drivers particularly for round 1 race 2 at South City Sprint 1, theres few opportunities to move through the field and if you dont make every move without holdup you're gonna get monstered.

Still, its the first season, we'll only know how it all plays out once we've all got a season under our belt, both drivers and organisers, so i wouldnt go as far as saying it needs reviewing, i just see it being a potential for the slower lot to really be a pain in the arse for the previous race winner (this practice round asside, which i think i must have sleep-bribed everyone, chances i'll be one of the slow people causing so much frustration )
'less points == less risk taking'
If this season is going to be close racing through till the final, every point is going to be important. I dont think anyone will have the outlook that its only for half the points, 70 points are still up for grabs for the winner, and while the difference in points makes it less important, i dont think anyone takes it easy because theres less points, you want to get the most of what is on offer, its the racing attitude.
All that is needed is a clean and fair attitude to be applied with that.

re: Wind
Not a big fan, i can see the arguments for having it, but also see the negative. If wind is an absolute must, then for the love of god keep it at low.
You may argue no wind makes it sterile, but i'd counter with having wind removes a element of knowledge, throws things a little into the region of guesswork when you throw in random factors. Sometimes it isnt a huge problem, yesterday driving down the straight and the car barely needing to be in 4th gear just becomes stupid.

Having just checked the rules and race dates & locations thread, neither suggest wind is going to be applied, so i dont think its unfair for people to question it in the server, that would have been the first time they'd have known it would be applied.
If you want wind, then fair enough, but let keep it at low because htting 30mph winds head on down the straights was dull yesterday (wednesday) and the previous qual before it had side winds doings its best to push you off at the fast chicane. Realism is great, but having races with wind every race isnt realism, its like having all races with rain because it can rain.

maybe we could compromise, have wind at some tracks and not at others?
I'd rather have none, but could live with having low at all, but mixing it up would be more realistic than saying every race has noticable wind.
I agree, hard wind is crazy with the uf1, we saw that yesterday. Low wind is ok, but we'll implement that randomly because there isn't always wind in real life. How we will implement the randomness, no clue. I can make a call to random() and get a value from that (even is low wind, uneven is no wind), or just decide the wind on the weather where I live.
The weather setting will be random in some way as well, because you can't have 2 races where the shadows are the same. In every racing book they will always tell you not to use shadows as reference points, so please don't do that in this league.

About the less point == less risk taking.
I hate reverse grid races, even more when the amount of points are the same as the main race. If we gave the same amount of points in a reverse grid race it would encourage drivers to risk a lot, and secondly it would reward drivers who messed up their first race. Imo drivers who messed up their first race shouldn't be rewarded for that, that's why I pushed for less points for the reverse grid race to my co-admins.
#6 - Dru
Your comments as ever are fair Paul.

Let us post an official points score so every one is able to see the points and 'assess the risk'

also about the wind, we wil also confirm prior to the start what races will have what - i don't think that high wind has ever been considered, but low certainly, just for that 'random factor'

We'll get back and post the conditions we intend to use in thenext few days, but i dare say it will be a mix or low or no wind

Regards,

Dru.
great racing, shame i didnt see to much of it at the back

One thing is 15 laps seemed a little long, the second race of ten laps was perfect, my personal prefrence would be 8 laps sprint,15 laps for the feature.

Other than that, Thanks for getting this event up and running!
#8 - Dru
Quote from FOGlegsy :great racing, shame i didnt see to much of it at the back

One thing is 15 laps seemed a little long, the second race of ten laps was perfect, my personal prefrence would be 8 laps sprint,15 laps for the feature.

Other than that, Thanks for getting this event up and running!

Well the point to the series is it is a little more than a 'pick-up race'

The timings we are looking for is a 25 minute first race followed by a 15 minute second race (based on average lap times)

Also just remember that most of the other rounds are on tracks which are under a minute long this one was 90 seconds ish therefore you could argure that aston club reverse was a little boring becuase of the UF1's down the straights are not the quickest

The race last night was approximately these timings.

Just remember that if we did shorten it the people at the back would have no chance to get to the front with a clean race.

If you look at the results the top 2 from the second race only got there on lap 8 or 9 and they were the only 2 who had clean races all the way through coming from the back, therefore if we did shorten it it would handicap these guys too much imo.

Best Regards,

Dru.
Quote from Dru :
Also just remember that most of the other rounds are on tracks which are under a minute long this one was 90 seconds ish therefore you could argure that aston club reverse was a little boring becuase of the UF1's down the straights are not the quickest

Yeah, i suppose that circuit isnt the best track for racing UF's, i suppose the time of completion for each race was pretty good, as you say it was probrably the track booring me to death ,

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG