The online racing simulator
AntiVir & co
(16 posts, started )
AntiVir & co
Is it possible to include an option, which when is enabled makes it impossible for other processes to PopUp. In my case its the AntiVir auto-update - when it starts in the middle of a race I get tabbed out of the game and in most cases I crash or at least loose positions if I can't tab back fast enough (and sometimes I destroy others race, when such things happen in T1)
#2 - CSU1
Turn it off maybe?
Can you change when it's scheduled to do it? For instance, when you know you'll be asleep so that it updates as soon as the computer is switched on? Or if you leave the machine on all the time, get it to do it like 3/4am or something.
#4 - Gunn
Turn the anti-virus software off, you don't need it on while racing and you'll regain some RAM.
no theres no option to schedule it. And turning it off I don't like, because I'm pretty sure I'll often forget to turn it back on
Ouch, no schedule options is a pain. Unless you go downloading everything under the sun, or frequent dubious websites, there's no reason to worry about turning off a firewall or anti-virus for a while. Even forgetting to turn it back on probably wont' do you any harm.

The best thing to do is probably look into switching anti-virus software. I use AVG Free, which has a really good free version and has the smaller AV memory footprint I've ever seen. Updates are regular and although it does pop up on top of stuff, you can actually schedule it
Nah I used AVG for 2 years but I switched back to AntiVir because there's a lot of things that AVG misses. AntiVir is probably the best free AV Software you can us atm. I think the best option is to switch it off while you're driving. Even if you should forget to switch it on again, after a restart it starts automatically.
Really, don't get caught up in this whole virus paranoia.
Turn everything off when racing. there is absolutely no need whatsoever to have anything running in the background when gaming.

Just get into the habit of turning your AV back on afterwards...you'll soon do it without thinking about it, and even if you forget i wouldn't worry about it.
I often forget to turn my AV on for days. My computer is on 24/7 and has been for years. In 8 years i have caught 1 virus.
Unless you are in the habit of visiting dodgy sites,downloading dodgy files or opening dodgy e-mails/attachments (and if you do you deserve everything you get ) then you should be fine.
the explaination I don't understand - what is ment with "time in milliseconds before Windows XP allows an application to steal the focus" does this mean it takes 200 seconds until antivir can PopUp after starting LfS? In this case it won't help. The other thing is, the Value I should set in the first Link is the standard Value and so its already set. But maybe theres another solution: does someone knows a command to quit a process from a batch file? So I can automate quitting AntiVir, Starting LfS and restarting antivir with a simple .bat It doesn't matter to me if I'm clicking on Shortcut or a .bat (hope my Logitech Profiler would still recognize LfS is startet)
First backup your registry with ERUNT.
Donwload the .REG file from this page and run it.
Reboot.
The result is that you will see the new process flashing in the taskbar but the focus won't be stealed.
Notice that some apps use some kind of over the top forced window and in this case I'm afraid there is nothing you can do.

WinKill can help you to kill a process by using the command line interface. Read the help file included.
well to save registry I can just export it and the changes announced on the linked page I can do by my own, but I don't like to until I understand how it works but the WinKill program looks nice, but not exactly matches my thoughts. When pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del theres a button to quit a process, and the function of this button should be accessible on command line too, just don't know how
#13 - joen
Quote from AndreABG :well to save registry I can just export it and the changes announced on the linked page I can do by my own, but I don't like to until I understand how it works but the WinKill program looks nice, but not exactly matches my thoughts. When pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del theres a button to quit a process, and the function of this button should be accessible on command line too, just don't know how

You could also install TweakUI. It's available on the Microsoft website. It has an option to prevent apps from stealing focus. But it probably uses the same method Lotesdelere mentioned. But you won't have to touch your registry if you feel uncomfortable doing that. I've been using it for years and it's essential to me. I find it extremely irritating when apps take focus.
Unfortunately, sysinternals bowed down to m$ and got swallowed up but their old files are still accessible if you know URLs.. grab a copy of PsKill. Should do what you want

Regards,

Ian
Quote from AndreABG :no theres no option to schedule it. And turning it off I don't like, because I'm pretty sure I'll often forget to turn it back on

Of course there is! What do you think the point "Schedule" in the Options is for?
Quote from bbman :Of course there is! What do you think the point "Schedule" in the Options is for?

^^ thanks, I searched in the configuration menu. I can also choose to make the Update in the backround there

AntiVir & co
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG