The online racing simulator
Hosting with Netgear DG834GT
(23 posts, started )
Has anyone ever got an LFS server running with this router (Netgear DG834GT)? I've got port forwarding setup, but my game won't appear on the server list. It does appear on LFSWorld under hosts online though. Had it working on my old router fine so I'm wodnering whether it's me or my router! Any help appreciated!
Quote from Nick A :
Has anyone ever got an LFS server running with this router (Netgear DG834GT)? I've got port forwarding setup, but my game won't appear on the server list. It does appear on LFSWorld under hosts online though. Had it working on my old router fine so I'm wodnering whether it's me or my router! Any help appreciated!

if your hosting on the same computer as your trying to view the server on then you will not see it but others should not have a problem if its showing on LFS World.
Thanks. I can't see it on Browse For Speed either though which is more worrying - should I be able to? PS: I'm just setting up a game in LFS rather than a dedicated host.
im not sure about browse for speed.

if u set it up and tell me the name. i will try joining it and seeing if its ok or not
Browse for speed uses LFSworld, rather than get a list of all servers and attempt to talk to them, like LFS itself does.

That would be normal.
Thanks for your help again. Maybe it is working then. I'll see if I can get my brother to test it. If not what's the best way to test it from your own machine? A few days ago I could see it on LFS world but my brother said he couldn't find it in the game so i guess that's not a good test.
I've left my host running, if anyone has a chance to test it I'd be grateful. I can see it on LFS World again. Game's called "nick test", SO Classic, XFR and UFR. Thanks
Quote from Nick A :I've left my host running, if anyone has a chance to test it I'd be grateful. I can see it on LFS World again. Game's called "nick test", SO Classic, XFR and UFR. Thanks

iok i can see iut but when i attempt to join the connection fails.. obviously still something blocked in your router / firewall
Dont know about the DG834GT, but I am running on a bog-standard DG834, and have no probs whatsoever getting my server online...
Just make sure that:

a) You have a port configured in your lfs.cfg file that matches the port you have opened in your firewall.

b) If running on a SHARED connection, then you have forwarded the port to the correct computer on the network.

Honestly, setting up a router isn't rocket science, the DG's admin panel gives you more-or-less explicit instructions (right hand panel on mine )

Also, if you are running windoze built-in firewall as well, then that is paranoia gone too far; disable the windoze one!!...the routers hard firewall is already as good as/better than anything coded by M$
Thanks for testing it.

a) I assume you mean cfg.txt but I checked the address and it's the same two (the default ones) I've set up on the router and Windows firewall.

b) No, just my PC on the network.

Very odd, I think it's setup correctly, I have a feeling there is something about this router and LFS, I havn't seen anyone who has got it working yet.
OK, I think I may have been forwarding to the wrong address 192.168.0.1 when the PC is actually connected to 192.168.0.1 I think so I've changed the forwarding. I still can't see it but if anyone has a chance to test it I'd be grateful. Game name is "nick test" again BL1, all cars. I'll leave it on today.
#12 - Davo
Can't even see it on the list of servers at lfsworld.
Thanks , but it's off now, left it on all yesterday. Also got someone to look at it through remote assistance and I'm pretty sure the port forwarding / firewall settings are correct. I might report this as a bug unless I can find someone who's got it working as my other open ports are working fine. I take it there are no known problems with LFS and AOL (eg port blocking?)
AOL is known to port block. I don't know anyone who actually runs on AOL to confirm which ports though.
I *used* to have AOL, and I hosted no problem, but as I say, I dont have it anymore, so unfortunately I cant tell you what ports they do block.
OK, thanks. I'll assume it's not AOL blocking the port then.
Quote from Nick A :
I assume you mean cfg.txt .....

No, I mean setup.cfg

Quote from Nick A :
I have a feeling there is something about this router and LFS, I havn't seen anyone who has got it working yet.

I have, and I am running LFS Dedicated server with LFS Lapper on a box that is one of four on a LAN, all sharing the connection through a DG834
Quote from Bladerunner :No, I mean setup.cfg.

Right you are! I realised that when I re-read your post after installing LFS Host. I was originally just trying to host through LFS so didn't have that file at the time.

Quote from Bladerunner :
I have, and I am running LFS Dedicated server with LFS Lapper on a box that is one of four on a LAN, all sharing the connection through a DG834

I am aware of people who use the DG834 and DG834G but not of anyone who has it working with the DG834GT.
I think I might have worked out what the problem is (and it's my own stupid fault!) :doh: I just remembered that the DG845GT is actually not officially supported by AOL (although I have been using it with AOL for 8 months with no problems). I ran some port checks last night and most of them are closed, which i guess could be caused by this incompatiobility somehow. 63392 is open, but 29339 is closed (firewall off, all ports forwarded). Only thing is I'm surprised LFS runs Ok with 29339 apparently not working.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy a new router as I'll be moving from AOL in August anyway which I hope should solve the problem.
29339 is only required outgoing. In the past it was advised to port forward this due to some older, buggy home routers which tried too be too clever / buggy for their own good and setup outgoing firewall rules based on the port forwarding.
OK, that makes sense.

Strange that I have only found 2 high number open ports so far and one of them is 63392.

Also surely if I can play LFS online OK on other servers then port 63392 must be open and forwarding OK. So it seems strange that people can't connect when I host, unless that works in a different way?
Quote from Nick A :Also surely if I can play LFS online OK on other servers then port 63392 must be open and forwarding OK. So it seems strange that people can't connect when I host, unless that works in a different way?

You don't need to forward to play online.

I'm about to head to bed, but I'll edit this post in the morning explaining how it works and all will become clear.
2am! Don't blame you. If you have a chance I'd like to know though.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG