The online racing simulator
Benchmark Lap times
(13 posts, started )
Benchmark Lap times
Hi all,
I've been playing around with the LFS demo, and I should be getting S2 sometime next week, but I'd like some input on my driving.
Now, only the demo, I only have Blackwood and three cars.I normally drive the XR GT, and I manage regularly about 1:50-1:48. Is that any good? That falls to 1:45-1:42 on a good run with the XR GT Turbo.

Peter
Quote from Daedelus :Now, only the demo, I only have Blackwood and three cars.I normally drive the XR GT, and I manage regularly about 1:50-1:48. Is that any good?

Not really, it would mean you'd be likely lapped in 6 laps from a whole pack of medium ability racers (like the AI on "Pro" setting for example) if you drove that time consistantly. You probably have to majorly revise your racing line, braking points and car setup - check the .spr files mentioned.
Thanks for the fast response.
Yeah, I though I might be a little off the proper line. I was just doing a bit of hot lapping, and I can say that I was a bit inccorect with the times I gave you. For the XRG it's more like 1:49-1:51 and the XRT is around 1:40-1:41.
Thanks for the input, I'll try to sharpen up before I get S2! Would using a mouse & keyboard hinder me at all?

Peter

Edit:
Wow... I can see how far behind I am. These guys could beat me even if I had the XRT. I need to improve drastically.
#5 - Gunn
Quote from Daedelus :
Wow... I can see how far behind I am. These guys could beat me even if I had the XRT. I need to improve drastically.

Don't worry too much about that, most of us go through the "oh my god I'm never going to be fast enough" stage at some time. It all comes together with practice and familiarity. Most people are still a second or two away from the best WRs. Remember too that a WR is only one hot lap and does not represent consistent race pace so don't be too frazzled at the awesome times some people have managed, it shows us what is possible more than anything and gives a target of sorts to work towards.
Quote from Daedelus :Thanks for the input, I'll try to sharpen up before I get S2! Would using a mouse & keyboard hinder me at all?

In the more powerful cars, yes, smooth throttle inputs become very important. With the less powerful cars, it makes little difference (I think there are even a WR or two set with the mouse).

Quote from Daedelus :

Hehe, I remember the first time I played LFS (v0.2) it took me a few laps to get under 2:00 at BL in GTi. Then I was chuffed getting under 1:50, thought I was fast, lol. Two years of practise teaches you a lot.

Also try and find some stable setups, they will help loads over the questionable default setups.
Quote :Two years of practise teaches you a lot

It's really hard to catch up to the people who play for x years and have super-optimized setups. I was practicing quite a lot with the fzr on blackwood and on most servers there are still people who can go a whole second faster than me per lap. And I don't think there's much I can do about my lap time atm. I'm pretty much at the limit.
I'm really looking foward to those physics updates to come, they will make it a bit easier for newbies to catch up since everyone has to get used to them again.
Well... I just watched the top XRG replay for Blackwood. Not so much driving, as drifting every turn... He's taking turns I'd take at 80Km/k at 120+ !
I know it sounds absurd, but his XRG felt like it was pinned to the ground, and was running road super tires.I just run a slighly modded Hard_Track with more brake pressure and Viscous LSD
Do all the really good guys drift all the corners? I might have to stick up one of my replays so you guys can tell me specifically what needs changing.
Thanks
Peter
Quote from Daedelus :Well... I just watched the top XRG replay for Blackwood. Not so much driving, as drifting every turn... He's taking turns I'd take at 80Km/k at 120+ !
I know it sounds absurd, but his XRG felt like it was pinned to the ground, and was running road super tires.I just run a slighly modded Hard_Track with more brake pressure and Viscous LSD
Do all the really good guys drift all the corners? I might have to stick up one of my replays so you guys can tell me specifically what needs changing.
Thanks
Peter

You shouldn't drift if you want to do a good lap. What you probably call "drifting" is that the guy turns at the limit with adjusting the throttle and he (or she ) needs to countersteer a bit but that is not drifting.
And feel free to download sets from www.teaminferno.hu in the setup section.
If you're that much slower around the bends it is most likely a combination of bad lines and a less than stellar setup. If yours is close to the default set, it's probably not that great. Did you test drive the WR setup? You will most likely find it faster but also much harder to drive.
Ok, here's something a bit odd:
I get as good or better lap times(I got as low as 1:48.37) with the XF GTi with full suspension lift, Viscous LSD and 840Nm of brake pressure as I do with the XR GT. The XR is still more fun though . S2 will be arriving next Wensday(hurrah for well timed birthdays!), so my mediocre skill may be coming to a server near you!
I'll investigae some of those setups, see how I go.

Peter
a fast setup is a good starting point, but to improve quickly I believe you really need a fast setup modified for stability. So grab those inferno sets, but remove rear roll bar and increase front roll bar, until the car is comfortable for you to push to the limit, without oscillating around the limit too much.
Hi,
Great to see another Aussie on the forums.

I grabbed "king's" setup from this page:
http://setupfield.teaminferno. ... ar_id=10&p_version=S2
And I(with a slight modifcation to racing line) acchieved an new PB of 1:46.34 . Still not lightning fast, but a good improvement for 5 minutes work. The only thing I can see to improve on this setup is the brakes, which feel a bit weakish. I'll try your anti-roll bar mod too. Cheers all!

Peter

Benchmark Lap times
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG