The online racing simulator
Setup: tire specs
(20 posts, started )
Some features in LFS are being discussed to be banned, due to non-realism (too many setup options for road cars etc.).
I thought about something which is easy and realistic: ability to change rims/tires specs in setup.
I mean ability too change every point of '225/50 R16' (like in lfstweak) plus some styles of rims for personal taste.

To avoid stupid wheels dimensions it could be restricted in-game or by server side. Well, for now differences could be small and for sure it will bring up some monkey exploits used by hotlappers... But, if we got many DIFFERENT tracks it will be useful.
Now only little changes would help, and I'm sure we will set different sized tires for SO/RallyX/WE.

What do you think?

ps. if in this moment you are going to request 24" blink blink chrome spinnerz, do not repost
I guess it would be quite easy to update the default rims to better quality. But aside from that I see no reason for independant wheels for every racer... maybe different tire sizes might add some nice choise to setups although one of the tires sizes would pretty soon be noted to have best specs for racing and the other sizes wouldn't get used after that at all...
Not really. What's best for a smooth circuit wont work as well on South City, or and old circuit with rough asphalt.

What works at the Scavier Autocross facility wouldnt work at the Columbus IN autocross facility (notorious for eating tyres)
#4 - herki
I would like to see more rim choice maybe 2-4 per car (as most real-life racing series use different rim manufacturers too), just like with the tyre brands. What I would like more than different sizes of tyres is still different compounds . Not the ones like R1, R2, ... but different R1-compounds, different R2-compounds, ..., which iirc Scawen already said would come sooner or later.
Some preset tyre choices could be interesting too (low profile wide tyre vs. higher profile narrower tyre), because we already learned, that wider doesn't neccessarily mean better.

Overall +0.75
+1 for this and all suggestions for adding more choice to cars
Quote from herki :I would like to see more rim choice maybe 2-4 per car (as most real-life racing series use different rim manufacturers too), just like with the tyre brands. What I would like more than different sizes of tyres is still different compounds . Not the ones like R1, R2, ... but different R1-compounds, different R2-compounds, ..., which iirc Scawen already said would come sooner or later.
Some preset tyre choices could be interesting too (low profile wide tyre vs. higher profile narrower tyre), because we already learned, that wider doesn't neccessarily mean better.

Overall +0.75

I like those ideas (although it wouldn't really work if R1's had different rimzors than R2 as it would look a bit strange if people drove the FXR with R3 at front and R2 at back and had to use different rims )

Not really anything important but we got sidewalls, so why not decent wheels
-1 to the spinners - this is a racing simulator, not Need for Speed
+/- 0, no need.
Quote from BlackSheep720 :-1 to the spinners - this is a racing simulator, not Need for Speed

Did you even read the post? The OP wants different sized wheels. There are lots of reasons for this. For example, Ford might use 19-inch wheels on a road rally but 17s with more rubber on gravel.
#10 - dev
How about if rally-cross tyres had a smaller rim, but more rubber? For example, you select a road super tyre, and the size automaticly becomes 205/40/15 (or whatever else...), but when you select a knobbly tyre, the size becomes 195/70/13 (or something, just as long the overall size stays the same).
The biggest problem I see with this (other than the hassle to code it) would be that adjusting tire width could drastically change the cornering speeds of the car. Considering that one of the main gripes against the FXO is that the tires are too wide, this could be a real problem for car balancing if you suddenly have multiple widths of tires for each car.

I don't see a problem with having different size wheels, but I think different width tires would upset the game balance quite badly.
#12 - wark
-1 but I would like to see the dimensions in the INFO section of the garage.
#13 - dev
Quote from Cue-Ball :The biggest problem I see with this (other than the hassle to code it) would be that adjusting tire width could drastically change the cornering speeds of the car. Considering that one of the main gripes against the FXO is that the tires are too wide, this could be a real problem for car balancing if you suddenly have multiple widths of tires for each car.

I don't see a problem with having different size wheels, but I think different width tires would upset the game balance quite badly.

I came to the same conclusion... thats why I think there should be 2 non-adjustable sizes of tyres/rims, one for rally-cross tyres and one for road tyres.
It could be interesting, widest tyre possible most of the time, use narrower tyres on tracks where the tyres run cold. On the whole though, it's one of those options (like track width used to be) that everyone will just run at maximum, so little point having it adjustable.

I DO like the idea of different tyre sizes to match the compound, however, on vehicles where road and rally tyres are possible.
Quote from Bob Smith :I DO like the idea of different tyre sizes to match the compound, however, on vehicles where road and rally tyres are possible.

What perplexes me to this day is why LFS still insists on using identical sizes for both road AND rallycross.

If things go my way, we'll have one size for tarmac and another for hybird and knobblys. And the lack of proper gravel rally tracks is a glaring problem that has been neglected for as long as LFS existed. Some want multiple road sizes, but why bother when we have an entire category of specialized tires that've been so neglected for so long?
True, bring on the rally pack.
As long as the over all radius of the wheel stays the same it would be cool.

You could have rim size adjustable, but it changes the profile of the tire to keep it the same radius over all. This way we could have beads on the tires that can blow out if you use a tire to rim ratio that isn't good for the application. Say you use a very high walled tire for a road race. if you hit a curb you can blow it out. If you use a low profile tire, you can end up damaging your wheels in rally cross.

Tire width should be a fixed number, because people would put pizza cutters or fattys on. It would mess up the dynamics of the race.
I think that would add a bunch of complexity that's really not needed. Also, even though LFS supports punctures and flat tires, I don't think it can simulate a tire rolling off the bead.
Different rim sizes for different aplications = YES!

The hybrid tires should have smaller rims compared to the road tires and the mud tires should have smaller rims compared to the hybrids. So the rougher the terrain the more rubber you have to protect the rim.

For the road cars changing the 195/60 R14 (tires on my VW Golf ) would be realistic because on track days people are using different sizes. But I don't think of LFS as a track day I think of it as a race with rules. That way you have certain rules that your wheels have to fit and usually the rules include the dimensions. That is what I'm let to believe. I could be wrong because I'm not a racer IRL. So changing them would be against the rules.
The problem with a post made earlier is that there isnt just "tarmac" there are different smoothnesses and textures that would favor different proportions. For instance one wouldnt want to run a low profile tire at south city, too rough.

If the rules allowed if F1 cars would be running much lower profile tires than they do. But it goes both ways as well as tires with a higher profile have a more prominent effect when air pressure adjustments are made.

pre-defined width is a good idea, until we get compound surfaces (a few inches of sand over asphalt), and even after.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG