The online racing simulator
Is my FPS as it should be?
(11 posts, started )
Hi,
I am not really asking for technical question/help - its more general question.
I have A64 3200+,2x512MR DDR 400(CL2.5),7900GT.

When I am last or like 16/20 on the start my FPS drops on many tracks down to 30FPS sometimes .Doesnt matter if I have AA+AF on or off. Is that right?
it's right.
Definitly is, I have quite a same machine as you and when on really fully-grided race I can get even on 20FPS on the very beginning of race.
I wouldn´t say you couldnt have more performance.

I also have a A64 3200+ and only a 7800 GT and have never experienced 30 FPS in or behind full grid, I have at least 45 FPS, 1280x1024, 4x AA, 16x AF. What is more I have hires skies, reflection mod, elektric kar´s hires textures mod installed which uses 80 MB graphic´s card memory.

Maybe you could overclock your CPU and GC, on your own risk.

My 3200+ is running at 2,4 Ghz instead of 2 Ghz and my GC 470/1150 instead of 400/1000 Mhz.

Since LFS needs a lot of CPU power overclocking will give you more FPS.

If you need any help just ask. By the way, your GC is faster than your CPU! After overclocking mine I got 15 FPS more playing Far Cry for instance, because before the CPU was to slow for my GC.
Hi Niklaw,

I am not hardware noob and I know quite well the LFS is one of the most CPU intensive games around if no the most one.

I could overclock my CPU easily to 2.6Ghz but thats about max.I have Zalman 9500 LED cooler so the overcloking is not problem.I bought this cooler mostly that it can run almost silent and the tempreture is still so freaking low .

Still thanks for advice and I will try to run it at 2.4Ghz to be on save side and lets see.

My question was because I noticed that sometimes guys with same spec run about at least 40FPS with full frid and I usually get to low 30s and high 20s if I am at the ned of the grid.I have re-installed OS by formating a few weeks ago.

Seems strange you got 50 percent more with just so small overclock.I am suspectaing something might be wrong working in my system but sometimes others saing they have same perfomance so I am bit confused.

MY GPU run 450/1400 and copnsidering 7800GT have 20pipelines and 7900GT have 24 I am quite sure that in LFS my graphic card is not the bottelneck.It is just really strange somebody with simmilar PC spec reporting a lot higher FPS at start and some saying it fit to what I have asked with my 1st post. I have as wll the hi-res textures+sky installed but this not affect FPS.

It really only concern my the FPS drop to 30FPS at start or with many cars around.Later its fine.The best LFS experience is about 60FPS.The drivings is more accurate and smooth.
#6 - Jakg
i personally hate Zalman CPU coolers, but you should be able to get 2.4 (which would make it a 4000) pretty easy, also the 7900GT are overclocking monsters, so it should take 525 on the core quite happily
Hi Jakg,

thanks for looking into my thread.
Well my 7900GT can do up to 570/1600.I am just trying to find out if my FPS is really as it should be or there is some issue with my system and I could get more friendly FPS at start as NikLAw reported with 45FPS as min at start.

P.S:what you hate on them?They are one of the best air coolers on the market.
The only way to compare FPS with someone else is by using the same settings, for example, using the unofficial LFS benchmarking site. That give you an accurate representation of frame rate comparisons than just saying "I get such and such frame rate".

I see you state you have 30 FPS and you are wondering if it is right. MadCatX states he drops to 20. Well, I also drop to 20 FPS on grid starts. The main difference is, you guys run with expensive graphics cards and I have a lowly onboard graphics chip. Unless you compare the same LFS settings, then the comparison is inaccurate.

Quote from NikLaw :I also have a A64 3200+ and only a 7800 GT and have never experienced 30 FPS in or behind full grid, I have at least 45 FPS, 1280x1024, 4x AA, 16x AF. What is more I have hires skies, reflection mod, elektric kar´s hires textures mod installed which uses 80 MB graphic´s card memory.

See, he states his specs, settings, and the fact that he doesn't experience a drop less than 30 fps, with 45 normally. With my onboard, I also normally see 45-50 FPS and I also run hires skies, reflection, many of the hires textures, etc. The only thing I do different is I don't run aa/af. I can in 1024x768 if I wanted to and still get 40 fps, all with onboard gfx. My processor is an A64 3500+. I think the only thing a gfx card does is allow the game to be prettier, rather than hinder any performance with prettier gfx options. The difference between NikLaw and me is my better processor and comparing a 7800GT to an ATI onboard graphics chip.
#9 - Jakg
its gotta be your CPU then - try overclocking it and see if it helps? check the temps when loaded (thermal throttling, maybe a badly applied HS?)?
just overcloked it to 2.4Ghz and temps are not problem after 1/2 hour testing AIs in LFS.
Max 42 celsius and the fan running at minimal rpm.Ach I love the Zalman:-).

Will see how much make it difference when online and full grid.
I am convinced the 400 Mhz make a notable difference bearing in mind that our beloved 3200+ isn´t the fastest nowadays.

I´ve tested the FPS with complete AI grid at Blackwood being last. The lowest
framerate I got was 48-49, but mostly 57-60 with cars before and behind.

Have you tried to turn vsync off? Could be interesting to find out if your GC will go beyond 100 FPS. As you said, I also don´t believe you GC is the bottleneck.

I will do some testing online.

2,4 Ghz are nice, because you can run you RAM at 400 Mhz, too.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG