The online racing simulator
A little Help - IT Related
(6 posts, started )
Hi All,

We don't have a DHCP server onsite, all PC's have their own IP address. We have a CISCO router, that routes out our internet traffic. If I add a NetGear Wireless Access Point ( Model No = WG302V2 ) and set this to DHCP, after about 5-10mins, it knocks out our Internet Traffic. Any ideas why this would happen.

Turn off DHCP, works fine.

Thanks in Advance

Fordie
You mean running DHCP on the access point so that it gives IPs out to the wireless clients?

The only thing I can think of is that it's giving out the router's IP and the traffic is going to the wrong place.

Incidentally, why no DHCP?!
Whats the CISCO routers IP address? Is it possible when you set the wireless access point to be a DHCP server it is reassigning the same IP and causing a conflict?
Quote from the_angry_angel :You mean running DHCP on the access point so that it gives IPs out to the wireless clients?

The only thing I can think of is that it's giving out the router's IP and the traffic is going to the wrong place.

Incidentally, why no DHCP?!

They haven't gone DHCP route yet, costs etc etc. I set the DCHP to 10 and 11 at the end, and it still knocks out the internet. Our routers are .250 and .97 so they are not in the that range.

Really baffling me this one.
"knocks out the internet"

can you expand on this, is it only http traffic or all traffic. have you tried running nslookup, ping or tracert to an external ip/hostname?

does this also effect the wireless clients?

have you looked into using the dhcp service in windows 2003? running a network without dhcp is a support nightmare and quite expensive (time wise)
The quickest solution is to manually ip each wireless client & turn off DHCP on the access point.
Can you set the IP range within DHCP on the access point, that 'may' fix it.
Do you have the gateway cisco box ip setup for your access point & is that sent to the clients ?
A cheap solution would be to use a linux box as your gateway & have that do DHCP as well.
Just love these problems
Good luck.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG