The online racing simulator
Quote from GFresh :This is what i'd like to see, and use myself. But it's hard because you have to have 3 buttons to use the indicators (left, right, off - 4 if you count hazards). It would be better if you could press a button for left indicator, then press the same button again to turn it off.
For those of us that can type easily while racing, as it is it's not a problem, but for guys like me (By the time i've looked at the keyboard i'm in the gravel) it's too hard as it is, i'd like to bind the indicators to my wheel, i could just manage 2 buttons for this, but not 3.

I have the DFP, this is how I have it setup:

Commands:
signal left=7 Press, 7 Release
single cancel=0 Press, 0 Release

Cycle Command:
turn left= signal left, signal cancel

Key Mapping:
square=left marker

Result:
press the square to indicate left, press it again to cancel it...2 buttons (3 counting hazards mapped to fwd gear shift)
If you read through the various posts and threads on this topic, the problem reveals itself - there is no 'official' reference point.

Everyone wants to impose their view of what blue flag means, based on
either their favorite form of racing, their team views, the views of the 20
people they frequently race against - whatever.

Maybe the dev's should take the responsibility of presenting an
"on line racing guide" as part of the game. Through whatever means-
a splash screen, a tab, a readme file. Sure they can be ignored, but they could at least be referenced.

If you were racing on a server, it would not be so much a matter of interpretation anymore, there would be a reference to point an offending
driver to, and you could say 'this is what we expect in these situations'.

Whatever is included, and however it is concluded ( consensus, using
a specific set of rules from the rule world) isn't the relevant issue at the moment. Since it is a game, or sim if you prefer, the rules don't necessarily have to be strictly from the real world, just as driving the sim
isn't strictly the same as the real world.

What I'm suggesting is simply a common reference point, not that the dev's dictate what can and can't be done. The forum is not the place to
decree what is and isn't proper behavior, as a vast majority of people
don't view it. The same with a given team website or server.

There is only one way to be certain that everyone who plays the game
is on the same page, and that's via the game itself.
I have many a run in with the blue flag.

Just recently I have been racing against the Big Guns, SamH, Tristan, Jakg (lol) and the like. I knew I really had to step my game up.

I also react to the blue flag differently and more calmer.

For example, on the first corner at Aston Club, I would brake later and run wider, or on the striaghts, I would move off the racing line, give it half throttle untill the faster driver had more momentom than I do and then I would go back on the throttle again. In the chicanes, I would wait untill it was safe.

Also, I saw someone typing, "BLUE FLAG! GO AWAY!" If someone does that, there is more chance of me getting annoyed and taking longer to move over.
Quote from Flycantbird :If you read through the various posts and threads on this topic, the problem reveals itself - there is no 'official' reference point.

Everyone wants to impose their view of what blue flag means, based on
either their favorite form of racing, their team views, the views of the 20
people they frequently race against - whatever.

Maybe the dev's should take the responsibility of presenting an
"on line racing guide" as part of the game. Through whatever means-
a splash screen, a tab, a readme file. Sure they can be ignored, but they could at least be referenced.

If you were racing on a server, it would not be so much a matter of interpretation anymore, there would be a reference to point an offending
driver to, and you could say 'this is what we expect in these situations'.

Whatever is included, and however it is concluded ( consensus, using
a specific set of rules from the rule world) isn't the relevant issue at the moment. Since it is a game, or sim if you prefer, the rules don't necessarily have to be strictly from the real world, just as driving the sim
isn't strictly the same as the real world.

What I'm suggesting is simply a common reference point, not that the dev's dictate what can and can't be done. The forum is not the place to
decree what is and isn't proper behavior, as a vast majority of people
don't view it. The same with a given team website or server.

There is only one way to be certain that everyone who plays the game
is on the same page, and that's via the game itself.

Nah, that makes too much sense. No one would ever figure it out.

"Since it is a game, or sim if you prefer, the rules don't necessarily have to be strictly from the real world, just as driving the sim
isn't strictly the same as the real world."
That's true, I think that the flag rules and others as well ought to reflect more on the way LFS is played and will be played as opposed to just trying to imitate real racing at that point. You can't really tell the guy being blue flagged to continue racing, yet let the guy pass. I mean, what did the guy do in the first place to be in the position of being blue flagged?
If they wrecked alot and wound up getting lapped because of the delays from crashes, then do you really want this person to be allowed to try and race as close to normal? And personally whenever we join mid race, I think we ought to get as completely out of the way as possible to let the others pass.
maybe even just pit out if there's a pack of them coming. I know that isn't realistic, but neither is mid race joining. And I don't really want mid race joins blocked on casual servers. In fact, mid race joining is just one-up we have over real racing. It really irks me when ppl mid race join and pretty much get in the way with out being considerate of the fact that there is a race actually going on around them. maybe have some thing that if you don't obey the blue flag during a mid race, you get automatically spectatored. Similar to like what is done on some servers if a car goes the wrong way for too long or if they sit on the side of the track, just sitting there.
#56 - Gunn
Quote from SabersKunk :In F1 you must let the car pass within '3 blue flags' or risk being penalised by the race official.

That doesn't say anything about having to move over.
I only started racing a month ago but have followed motorsport for a long time, when I race, I try to race with etiquette, if I join a race half way trhough, I will wait for a large gap before I join as I dont want to get in the way.

If i'm being lapped I will brake earlier and move off line to allow the car to pass but only when its right one me and its safe to do so.

When im lapping, most times the drivers act the same and will move off line, however i have had the odd occasion when someone who just joined and is maybe 8 laps down tried to out brake you going into a hairpin and ends up taking you both out, this is plain stupidity in my mind.

Racing etiquette goes beyond blue flags and could be a point for discussion for years, I try not to push people as I hate it when im pushed. I had an incident the other day where I was in 4th or 5th and the guy behind who was quicker couldnt get passed because i was holding a racing line and blocking, he was quick but knew nothing about race craft and for 3 laps overshot with impatient attempts to pass and pushing.

He eventually tagged me just at the right point to spin me out, then he had the front to complain that I should let faster cars pass. lol kinda missing the point that I had track position.
Quote from KSheppard :I have the DFP, this is how I have it setup:

Commands:
signal left=7 Press, 7 Release
single cancel=0 Press, 0 Release

Cycle Command:
turn left= signal left, signal cancel

Key Mapping:
square=left marker

Result:
press the square to indicate left, press it again to cancel it...2 buttons (3 counting hazards mapped to fwd gear shift)

Thanks, but i don't have a DFP, an profile software for my MS Sidewinder isn't worth installing for that. It would just make more sense if you didn't have to use a 'get around' to achieve it.
Hi,

I always give way to someone on blue flag only if they dont put abusive messages to me or try and take me out (which rarely happens). Although if i was lapping somebody and they didnt move and they where hard to pass and holding me up ide knock them slightly which would fource them wide which would leave me a little bit of room to get through. Although i wouldnt hit them wide hard because they would come off and that would be fair but i still think every one should respect Blue Flag. In karting your allowed to knock them wide when a flag has been put up and the driver hasnt moved your allowed to use more force so this is where ive found my tip from..

Dmwright
People do that when passing for position, never mind lapping lol.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG