The online racing simulator
Blue flags - are we too easy-going?
I noticed that in F1 racing a lapped racer has to actually pull over to let the lapping racer by. But in LFS, people just keep trundling along, making it hard to pass if you're going just the slightest bit faster (common in open wheel racing). I've taken up the act of pulling over for those who are lapping me; I feel good when I do this, and the action often garners a ":-)" "thanks," or likewise. Any thoughts on making pulling over the rule?
#2 - Bosse
As I know it, you need to let him/her pass without being in their way. And if that's not how it should be done, why don't we just do it?

Well, you might just sit there all day talking like "according to THAT rule I don't have to move away" and so but it's just stupid? Pull over, lift of the throttle a little more than you would've done normally (on a straight, just pull to a side and lift off and in a corner, just take the outside line and lift off) and let him/her pass. Not hard at all?

The only time I don't let the person pass is if I know that I'm faster.. Then I can pull away forwards instead and loose the blue flag..
Blue Flag - Ease off - pull over - be safe - give room - simple.

I pull over when I see the blue flag appear when the car has been gaining on me. I used to wait for a little bit longer, but if your seeing blue flag, its safer to let them pass, so do it as safely as possible. They have right of way. Unless you are obviously quicker and can gain a lead in a short amount of time and loose the blue flag.

Can anyone suggest an bind that I could use when I am appoaching someone and it gives them a blue flag, but I am so far back in the race I just want to battle that back marker. I want to tell them to ignore my blue flag, because alot of the time they give way, and I was quite happy if they just raced me. I want to say something that does not create confusion to them and other drivers. I dont have free hands to click their name and direct the message to them. Any ideas? Thanks.

I dont want to start saying "Ignore blue flag" in a race. An admin would ban me in like 5 seconds i would think.
You could map wheel buttons with text messages...

But you should ask someone who knows how this works, cause I never really tried that out.
Yeah, I know how to do that. I've got binds on my controller already. It's just I would like a suggestion as to what I should bind..
eg:
"Ignore my blue flag"
"Ignore Blue flag"
"Dont pull over"

Remember all racers can see the chat so I want something that does not make other players confused or make me look like I'm trying to say the opposite of the Blue Flag rule to everyone.

I basically want something the opposite of...
**MOVE NOOB BLUE FLAG***
imo the best way is, if the lapped guy just lifts throttle for a second (don't brake!) on a straight. text messages aren't useful at all.
#7 - Gunn
Quote from BlackSheep720 :I noticed that in F1 racing a lapped racer has to actually pull over to let the lapping racer by. But in LFS, people just keep trundling along, making it hard to pass if you're going just the slightest bit faster (common in open wheel racing). I've taken up the act of pulling over for those who are lapping me; I feel good when I do this, and the action often garners a ":-)" "thanks," or likewise. Any thoughts on making pulling over the rule?

According to the FIA rules, a driver does not need to pull over. I guess you must have heard Martin Brundle saying that they must move out of the way. He's been saying that for years. The last time that I checked the rules (a few weeks ago) it was not the case.
Personally speaking, from my interpretation of all blue flag type rules is that if you get a blue flag it DOES NOT mean you have to pull over IMMEDIATELY and let the person behind you pass.

There are many racers out there who will abuse you and carry on like a pork chop spamming the text msgs with things like BLUE FLAG MOVE OVER etc etc when they think they are close enough.

If I get a blue flag and I am approaching, or in the middle of, a corner or a chicane I dont immediately move over as this is quite silly and dangerous as I could spin and end up crashing. I wait until it is safe to do so (like on a straight).

The other thing is, blue flag does not mean surrender your position which a lot of people seem to think it means. If I am in the middle of a race and I get a blue flag from the position behind me, I will not surrender that position without a fight. If I did, why bother even racing? If they end up passing me, well done, good pass, on we go. If I was a lapped competitor, well thats different, and I will move over when safe to do so. Often I will take a line off the normal racing line if I am slower and I know the faster cars are coming even before the blue flag appears (by checking mirrors) so they can get around me fairly quickly.

In real racing there are TWO blue flags. When held stationary it means there is a car close to you, when waved, it means somewhen is attempting to overtake you. I can't remember the bit where it says "when you get a blue flag - get the hell off the track NOOB"
I usually just keep racing, perhaps depending on my mood. When I feel I'm still in a race, I won't slow down. If the guy behind me starts pushing, I know it's time to just let him pass and maybe even use him to go faster (drafting).

When I get one of those blue flag messages, I tend to NOT yield at all. It makes me mad and I'll try to block them a bit more. If they want to pass, they need to shut up and let other people be intelligent.
I have never had a problem in OWRL or the R4R Stock Cup. Whenever I have approached a "lappee" they have waited until I have closed sufficiently then usually I get room on the inside of a corner. Nobody should leap out of the way as soon as the flag is shown because I think it is generally shown when you are too far behind someone.

I would like to see a better application of the yellow flag, which is often ignored. Perhaps even the inclusion of "DOUBLE YELLOW FLAG" which means, 'Slow down, be prepared to stop'.
i started playin this online last night and needless to say i was gettin blue flags left right and center. only problem was is if tried to move from the "racing line" of the lapper they would try to cut round me on the out side and we would collided...... then i would get the blame
Quote from JasonJ :

Remember all racers can see the chat so I want something that does not make other players confused or make me look like I'm trying to say the opposite of the Blue Flag rule to everyone.

I like your attitude, but just wanted to add that not ALL racers can see the chat. Some block it out, and from my own experience, I just don't register whats going on in that part of the screen when I'm driving anyway. I'll press the '-' key for either of two reasons: if the audible notification is becoming irritating; or if I'm on a server where people use a lot of binds. In the latter case I'll make a point of blocking messages while we're on the grid.
Of course not - LTIC the rule in most series was that you can't close the door on them and you should hold your line.

You don't have to lift the throttle, stomp on the brakes, go for some unscheduled rallycross or anything silly like that.
Quote from BlackSheep720 :I noticed that in F1 racing a lapped racer has to actually pull over to let the lapping racer by.

No they don't! They just have to make it easy for the faster car to pass.
Quote from Gunn :According to the FIA rules, a driver does not need to pull over. I guess you must have heard Martin Brundle saying that they must move out of the way. He's been saying that for years. The last time that I checked the rules (a few weeks ago) it was not the case.

In F1 you must let the car pass within '3 blue flags' or risk being penalised by the race official.
Yesterday I had a play in the FOX and the Sauber at Westhill with some UKCT guys. Other people on the server were driving slower cars (all cars enabled). I came out a lap down, and quickly caught an XRT. Unfortunately I caught him in the chicane, so slowed so I could overtake on the exit.

At this point the UKCT driver who was leading the race came blasting up behind us, flashing 'Blue Flag - Move Over' messages, then tried to go around both of us. He crashed.

The point is, that I would have expected more from a UKCT driver than to use Blue Flag binds, then fail to slow down in a desperate bid to set a fast lap.
if i remember correctly blue flag means "dont block", not move off the way. So i behave accordingly taking outside line in corners. it happens that i join midrace, overtake someone and see blue flag from him. Yes, "ignore my blue flag" would be useful on such occasions.

and btw: set you mirror LOD to max, pls, when you react on the car in the mirror not blue flag on the screen.
#18 - Si01
If you're on a public server and the race length is only 5-8 laps then the only time you're likely to be lapped is if you joined mid-race or shift-S 'ed and started again from the pits (unless you're pretty slow and there are really quick guys are on-line). In which case I always pull well out of the way as I tend to regard any race I've joined half way through as more of a practice session than a proper race, & hence I'll do everything I can to avoid compromsisng the race of people who are racing for a decent position.
If you're in a longer race and you are 'genuinely' lapped (ie. have been running from the start but the other person is lapping you) then I'd say it's more accetable to keep racing until you can let the other person through without comprising yourself too much. But on a public server it's unlikely you're racing for any meaningful position if you're being lapped so just move over.
IMO if you joined the race halfway through, and didn't start with the rest of the field, then you should just get the heck off the road if you see a Blue. Shift-s is preferable. There is no justification for playing any part in the race, your car didn't even exist on the grid. I would feel incredibly embarassed if my impatience to get on the track resulted in spoiling people's races.

If you're being genuinely lapped, then just make it as easy as possible, what have you got to gain from doing anything but that? Responsible drivers know when it's easy to let someone past and when it's awkward, but it's so easy to do it safely when an opportunity arises, there are really no excuses.
I know a little about blue flags, unfortunately
In a proper race, I'll always allow the lapper to pass, if it's a reasonable place to do it. If it's a tight corner or something, I'll run wide (if they're really close) or get through as fast as possible to clear the way for them. I certainly wouldn't trash my own chances by leaving the track just to let someone pass.

But the hotkey spammers really bug me. If I see someone spamming their BLUE FLAG! LET ME PASS!!!! hotbutton, I'm less likely to give them space than if they let the game do the informing.
Quote :68. WHAT ARE THE FLAG SIGNALS?
In addition to the red flag, "stopping the race", and the chequered flag, "end of the race", there are other flags, each having a specific meaning. The blue flag during the race tells a driver he is about to be lapped and to let the other car overtake, on pain of a time penalty for obstruction. The yellow flag indicates danger, and overtaking is prohibited. One waved yellow flag means slow down; two waved at the same post means slow down and prepare to stop if necessary.

Just browsed the official FIA site in the FAQ section and found this.LINK So Gunn, I don't know what rules you read but this looks like the flagged driver should pull over to let the faster driver past.

I always, when I am about to be lapped, pull off the racing line or take the wide line on a corner. I don't see the point in holding up a faster driver.
Quote from SLIDE WAYZ :i started playin this online last night and needless to say i was gettin blue flags left right and center. only problem was is if tried to move from the "racing line" of the lapper they would try to cut round me on the out side and we would collided...... then i would get the blame

Best thing is to stay where you are, but slow down. That way they can easily get around you without crashes.
Quote from mcintyrej :Best thing is to stay where you are, but slow down. That way they can easily get around you without crashes.

Yes. If you get a blue flag on a corner, wait till the next straight, then just slow down slightly, keeping on the racing line. If they were good enough to get up behind you, they are good enough to drive around.

As someone mentioned before (I think - it may have been in a guide) the best thing you can do is BE PREDICTABLE.

One thing I often do is to hit my hazard lights as they approach so they know you have acknowledged their prescence. Although I've stopped being lapped as much these days :P
As soon as i see a blue flag, i get off the racing line (unless im on a corner) and slow my pace down
Quote from U4IK ST8 :Just browsed the official FIA site in the FAQ section and found this.LINK So Gunn, I don't know what rules you read but this looks like the flagged driver should pull over to let the faster driver past.

I always, when I am about to be lapped, pull off the racing line or take the wide line on a corner. I don't see the point in holding up a faster driver.

That is not what is says. You are interpetating it all wrong.

"The blue flag during the race tells a driver he is about to be lapped and to let the other car overtake, on pain of a time penalty for obstruction"

What this is stating that a waved blue flag is telling the driver he is about to be lapped. He must let the other car overtake. It doesn#t say give up the racing line, all it says you must let him overtake so in other words don't defend the position.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG