The online racing simulator

Poll : Should there be a search feature before creating an "IS" thread

yes
no
suggestion for the "improvement suggestions" subforum
I've got it!

okay so when you enter the test patch forum, you .. well you can see here:
http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=66

and if it's already popped up, it basically states that this is a test patch forum blah blah.. well surely you guys know the rest

since my last suggestion about having an acceptance list for an improvement suggestion thread, we should have something similar to the test patch section, so that when you press "create new thread" it will pop up requesting what you want to make a suggestion about, and it will use the search feature, and if it finds something, then you can view the list, but if its not exactly what you want (or it finds nothing) then you can make the thread

this would also be a win-win situation, so not only will titles will have to be much more informative than (zomg this wuld be amazazing in hte LFS!), and we wont get 1,000 repeats of the same thing

for you lazy people, here it is in short
1. press "new thread" in this subforum
2. box comes up asking what your idea is, in short (ex: working headlights)
3. LFSForum searches if anything in this subforum has your "idea," and you can search through the posts to see if any are similar, and if not (or no threads are found), it will let you create the thread

the only downsides i see to this is people exploiting this system, and searching for random crap, and then making a thread of something totally unrelated

but nonetheless, it might help, and surely it will over the longrun

and for you lazy people, I'll make a poll so you dont even have to reply if you dont want to
Might be a good idea

EDIT: deleted
I'd rather new threads be premoderated.

Quote :the only downsides i see to this is people exploiting this system, and searching for random crap, and then making a thread of something totally unrelated

Yeah, they would mainly just search for xylophone raping hippo turd.
I'm not sure if that's feasible coding wise, but if it is, then +1.
Quote from XCNuse :lol you just edited right as i hit quote hah (so random, i was expecting just the premoderated now i see something about hippo crap hah)

anyways, my thread that I keep referring to here got the thumbs down:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=19739

Only improvement suggestions - and if you get two threads turned down in 2 days you lose posting privelages for a week.
+1 from me if it's easy to implement. And I don't even think it would be exploited that much. What's to gain by searching for crap and then posting something unrelated? And if somebody does exploit it anyway, we can at least flame that person with proper cause (=for being an inconsiderate, ignorant troll ).

Edit: +1 for the original suggestion by XCNuse, that is. Not to what duke posted and not the moderating idea either, as it would just mean extra work for the mods.
#8 - herki
I like the the mod-approval thingy duke_toaster suggested (or at least I think that's what he meant), even if it could require a few more mods for the IS-section

btw: can we have xylophone raping hippo turd in lfs?
lol why does everyone keep thinking duke posted that, that other thread was mine that got the thumbs down from all of you, so i've come up with this idea which is 'moderator-less'

but i agree with why my last thread on this (one posted above and quoted by duke) is that it would require alot of time for moderators or whomever and that just wouldn't be a fun job, and it would be less likely to work as well as this preliminary system
#10 - Jakg
ive suggested the same before, but just have a list of THE most commonly requested stuff and tell them not to start a new thread if their thread is to do with it - all you need is the javascript popup
yea but question is... what is the most common things requested?

technically there aren't, not at one given time that is

p.s. when did you suggest that?, dont remember seeing that one
i dont see that way working at all though, that would just be showing what has been requested before, while this way it would show you if its been requested, and will send you to that thread so you can see the discussion
-1, you obiously hate people that they are not 24/7 like you, so, some people don´t know where starts and where ends the forum, if they do, it´d be for refresh threads.
thats the whole purpost jonas, so that if they dont know where to go... it shows them where
#14 - CSU1
Quote from XC : LFS!), and we wont get 1,000 repeats of the same thing

...what section are most of the duplicate threads being made?...i'd imagine this one

I agree for this 'popup and search' before newuser creates the thread, it would be usefull, but why not just make a dozen or so subforums in here

Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Track suggestions\nooburgring
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Track suggestions\Hill Climb courses
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Track suggestions\Top Speed Test Track
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Track suggestions\Mountain Courses
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Track suggestions\AutoX Suggestions
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Track suggestions\Log

Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Car Suggestions\ Mirrors Suggestions
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Car Suggestions\ Suspension Suggestions
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Car Suggestions\ Wheels/rims Suggestions
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Car Suggestions\ Car Body Suggestions
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > Car Suggestions\ Log

Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > LFS Weather and Envoirmental Suggestions
Live for Speed > Main > Improvement Suggestions > LFS Weather and Envoirmental Suggestions Log
...and so on

...basically creating a subforum in this forum for every 'type' of sugeestion.

In the Log "The List" the title of each section should be a subforum in here, it would be much easyer to navigate through and keep track of...also each log in its own subforum too!

anyways I think this forum should have more of a racing theme to it, and the media section needs thumbnails of whats in em' for people with little patience like XC
TBH the whole IS subforum could just be closed, there a rarely any original suggestions anymore. We've discussed everything to death already.
More nazi-style moderation would do it.

If threads got locked/deleted before the regular spammers (you know who I mean ) get to them, then half of the OT posts wouldn't be there and new users would see what happens to pointless suggestions.
Quote from Bean0 :More nazi-style moderation would do it.

If threads got locked/deleted before the regular spammers (you know who I mean ) get to them, then half of the OT posts wouldn't be there and new users would see what happens to pointless suggestions.

Exactly.

Why not draft in more people to specifically deal with this section?
I kind of like CSU's idea about putting up subsections, for cars, tracks, and whatever else we can think of which would need its own subsection.
Whoops, I think i voted no in the poll I meant yes Automessage would be good.

What about this:

No user with less than....75 posts..can suggest anything. But even then, they have to search first.

How about some sort of Ticket System? Where you can apply to put an idea through, but the ticket has to be approved by a moderator. Or an automatic system could search the IS section for any keywords entered by the user..
Nuse - Way OTT IMO, completely unnecessary (CSU1's idea).
Quote from Bob Smith :TBH the whole IS subforum could just be closed, there a rarely any original suggestions anymore. We've discussed everything to death already.

I don't think it is, there is a lot that is discussed in this sub-forum that is useful and a lot that has probably made its way into LFS recently (false starts, resets, forced cockpits). If you look around there are plenty of useful suggestions about little improvements.

What isn't needed are the track/car/weather/demo content/tuning threads, if a sub-forum was created for these useless threads, or better still they were strictly banned then the smaller good suggestions wouldn't be drowned out with the irrelevant crap threads that soon turn off topic.
adding a script that autodeletes a post/thread if "S3" shows up in it would probably get rid of most useless suggestions
Quote from Bob Smith :TBH the whole IS subforum could just be closed, there a rarely any original suggestions anymore. We've discussed everything to death already.

+1

Anybody know what proportion of suggestions actually got implemented in some form or other, and hadn't already been thought of by the devs anyway?

I'm guessing it would be a very tiny fraction.
#24 - CSU1

yeah but newcomers may want to discuss in IS thread, if he cant say it in there newuser will just create a new thread!...closing the IS forum is a bit much.
Quote from thisnameistaken :+1

Anybody know what proportion of suggestions actually got implemented in some form or other, and hadn't already been thought of by the devs anyway?

I'm guessing it would be a very tiny fraction.

Very.. very small, if I were to guess, probably somewhere in the range of 10%

Either way you look at it, ideas can't just come from nothing, one thing inspires another so there should always be an improvement section, as some ideas are quite nice, and while some are repetitious, they can always be handled accordingly.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG