The online racing simulator
Sharing files over my network?
(22 posts, started )
Right I am 100% new to this. I brought myself the BT voyager 2110 router and the card that goes into the laptop. What I want to know is, is there anyway to share files from comp to comp offline? Or has it all got to be done online? If so how?

Is there any easy way I can send messages to the laptop offline? I remeber I could do a trick at school where you would put a line of code in a emtpy doc, save it as a .bat file then run it and it would send to the comp you put in the doc. Anyone know that trick?

And before you mention any Instant message name, thats one thing I want to aviod.

Any help on this would be great, thanks
I'm taking a networking class called Cisco...

Haven't quite gotten there yet

I use aim, but I know you can do it another way
So anyone able to tell me how to browse and download files off the laptop and vica versa?
I don't understand. You need to give more details. If you want to share files between PCs, then having the Internet connected is irrelevant so long as the network is working.

Is this a wired or wireless network? Are you using Windows XP? If so, is it Home or Pro? You will need to configure the TCP/IP settings for the network cards on both machines, and log into the router (will be something like http://192.168.1.1) and configure that too. Default username and password will be in the manual if you haven't changed them already.

Once that is done you just need to share some folders on each machine, and you should be able to see them and their contents through My Networking Places.

Oh and the trick you are thinking of is probably the "net send" command.
Wireless network
Windows XP home on both machines
Configure the TCP/IP Settings???
The router is setup afaik

Net send command, thats the one.
#6 - jmkz
net send PCNAME message

at work, never do "net send DOMAINNAME message"
So, can you get on the Internet with both PCs? If so, you're nearly there, you just need to make sure they can talk to each other, and setup some shares.
Yeah, both Pc's are on the net and working brill. Is it normal for the internet to seem quicker with a router and a laptop going upstairs?

Thanks for that jmkz, do I do that in MS Dos console?
Yes, you do that in the console Seggons.

These days networking with XP is a piece of cake.

Simply do this on both machines;
Start > Run > Type cmd and Press Ok.
Type ipconfig /all and press return.
Compare both machines; all you really need to do is make sure they're on the same class of ip (i.e. they all start 192.168.1.x), and that the subnet is the same. Voila.

If you're using XP Pro, just do the following:
Start > Run > Type \\pcname\c$ and then press Ok.
As if by magic you've probably got a directory of the C drive.

To share a folder properly (the suffixed $ means its not "advertised"), right click on it, goto "Security and Sharing". After thats its pretty obvious

If you're using XP Home, right click on a directory, goto "Security And Sharing" and then click the hyperlink to turn off the file sharing wizard (its complete arse).

edit:
To clarify, to get at the shared directory, just go
Start > Run
and then type \\pcname\sharename or \\pcname

edit^2:
Quote :at work, never do "net send DOMAINNAME message"

As if you've give a pleb user access to the command line Infact I think we turn off the messenger service on all machines, bar the Terminal Servers. ook ook.
#10 - jmkz
it will surprise you how many companies leave the messenger service running on their workstations (I'm talking about 30.000+ PC companies )
Right, finally sorted it all (firewall probs manily).
Is there any app out there that will let stream my bros laptop screen to mine, so whenever he is not using it, I can make it do a full system anti virus scan from my computer?
Remote Desktop Connection.
Wow, I was just going to post a topic on RDC

Okay so, since this is the same situation as Seggons lemme ask away.

When I run the remote desktop connection I type in my sister's IP address which I know is the correct one, and it displays an error message
"The client could not connect to the remote computer
Remote connections may not be enabled, or the computer may be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection."

I'm guessing that means that I have it blocked on my computer, since I have tried connecting to over 10 differnt friends' computers, and my sister's laptop which has the same settings as me.

Questions is, what settings do you use to have a computer accept RDC?

Also, I dunno if this will help, but when I go into dos and type
net send * message
It says that the message was successfully sent to the network, but it doesn't display on any of the screens.

BTW seggons, start, all programs, accessories, communications, Remote Desktop Connection and then enter your brother's IP address to connect

To find out the IP go to start/run/cmd and type in ipconfig/all and it will have the IP in there
#14 - jmkz
it'll take 2 steps (1 if you already have a user account on your sister's PC)

go to your sister's PC

1) Right Click "My Computer" select Manage, then select "Local users and computers" select the "users" subfolder. On the right side Right click on empty white space and select "new user" give in a username AND password. (see attach)

now

2) Right Click "My Computer" select properties
go to "Remote" tab (see attach)

and enable "allow users to connect to this computer", click on "select remote users" and add the username you created in step 1.

done!

.. or you could use GOOGLE
http://www.google.be/search?q= ... rg.mozilla:en-US:official
Attached images
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Well, I actually googled about 2 minutes ago, and I went into my systems tab, and that is not there. It's only remote assistance. =/ #$)(*#%@#$)*%
Quote from xapexcivicx :Well, I actually googled about 2 minutes ago, and I went into my systems tab, and that is not there. It's only remote assistance. =/ #$)(*#%@#$)*%

Perhaps you only have XP Home instead of Pro? The only differences are in networking as far as I'm aware.
I believed I had pro, but when I go into the workgroup computers in my network it says I'm running windows professional. But I cannot run RDC because I'm on home. I don't know. But net send * doesn't work because windows messenger isn't turn on. Windows is such a pain
#18 - jmkz
you need Windows XP Professional; you most likely have the "Home" version
Oh oh!!! my turn !!!

I'm taking advantage of this thread since you guys seem to know
this way better than me. I have one of those SpeedTouch Home
modem from Alcatel and we use a Netgear EN104TP hub to connect
2 PCs to it. Ya, i know it's not the best way, but bare with me.

My 'problem' is that i can't connect to the modem directly anymore,
it only works through the hub. The other PC is an old laptop
running Win9x and it can connect using the hub OR directly to the modem,
but my PC (K7N2 with integrated netcard on WinXp Pro) will only
connect if i'm plugged in the hub, if i connect directly in the modem,
my PC can't connect. The lights turn on, but i can't connect.

Any guru here have an idea ? I tried noting the settings of the laptop and
played around with mine, but nothing works. I've never really tried to
'connect' to the modem to check it's config either, i don't know how....
i usually just reset it instead, i don't think that's the problem anyways.

Since we have manually set IPs (so we can share internet at the same
time through the hub) could this be why i can't connect directly to the
modem? The laptop also has a 'fixed' IP but it doesn't seem to cause
problems. I've even tried switching address with the laptop and STILL
can't connect while the laptop connects just fine through hub or modem.
My PC just won't connect unless i use the hub.

Again, i'm using XP pro, i've tried many different networks, i must have
removed/installed my connection 20-30 times with no luck. I'm not very good at networking...
I'll be honest I don't know how you either PC can access the internet with only a hub between them and the modem.

What happens if you use automatic IP addresses? Do you get an Automatic Private Address or Assigned by DHCP?
Quote from Bob Smith :I'll be honest I don't know how you either PC can access the internet with only a hub between them and the modem.

What happens if you use automatic IP addresses? Do you get an Automatic Private Address or Assigned by DHCP?

Eh, that DHCP thing i think. Both use this and have a fixed address assigned for the Netcard as most documents on the subject suggest.
@Fonnybone:
You're using a modem so you don't have management features like routers do. You can't login to it to check the settings.

You've a hub, it being a multiport repeater does nothing but forward anything going thru it.

Traditionally you dial out to your ISP (even if it's broadband), and that can only be done by only one of the PCs, not both.

So, to use the hub to share the 'net connection and files across the network you should have one of the PCs dialing out and acting as a gateway while all the other PCs connect thru the hub & gateway.

Alternatively, instead of using the hub, if you only have 2 PCs you can discard the hub and connect the 2 PCs directly to each other using a crossover cable.

If you go to command prompt and type ipconfig /all on the PC that's connected to the modem, you'll see you have different interfaces. Local Area Connection, and your modem are separate. Hence, it doesn't matter what settings you use for the LAN interface. It doesn't affect the modem. Using fixed IPs is the most logical option with only a few PCs. Do NOT use fixed IPs in the modem settings. Your ISP will assign you your IP by DHCP every time you connect.

Now to why only one of them can dial out..
I don't know the actual problem here so it's guess work for me too. Both my PCs can dial out w/o probs.. Your best bet is to check whether you can find drivers for the modem here and reinstalling them again after uninstalling any existing SpeedTouch Home drivers. I checked the site and it says no installation blah blah required but do try it in case that's the prob.

Connect the modem directly to the PC that doesn't dial out. If it then doesn't dial out, go to the modem properties in network connections, and under the networking tab, make sure you're using the correct protocol and that DHCP is enabled (in the TCP/IP protocol).

*edit: am I correct in assuming that you have the modem plugged into the hub, so you can dial out at will using either PC?

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG