The online racing simulator
lfsworld.COM (for a few days)
(33 posts, started )
hi all,

The default hostname of LFS World has temporarily been changed to lfsworld.com instead of lfsworld.net. This is because lfsworld.net is moving registrar one of these days and as such may have a little period of unavailability. But lfsworld.com will keep working.

just so you know
.com sounds better
Not nessecerily (sp?) better but easier to remember.
#4 - ajp71
point is we are used to .net.
but doesnt really matter, as long as it works
#6 - Zonda
Quote from ajp71 :I think .net sounds better.

Exactly. The official side LFS has also .net and LFSMain, LFSForum etc.

.net is the best
ok, ok. It's better when it's all same... maybe it should be all whit .com
To tell you the truth, I was curious before as to why so many domain names exist.

They could all be together under a main secondary-level domain, making it perfectly clear (esp. for the newbies) that they are the official ones:

world.liveforspeed.net (or stats.)
forum.liveforspeed.net
manual.liveforspeed.net (or wiki.)

Not that it bothers me as it is now... :-)
#9 - garph
I think .com would beat .net in a fight!
yeah, I always wondered why its .net whats the advantage over .com?
LFS has always owned all the domains... but .com is supposed to be commercial, thus .net is actually more "normal" ("network")
Most people think .com is American anyway.
I hope the lfsworld.net returns soon..

Edit: I'm having this problem now: could this be anything to do with the way .net started to forget who I am (requiring login every time I opened it)?
Beat me to it, tristan

Thanks for the heads-up, Victor, could this be anything to do with the way .net started to forget who I am (requiring login every time I opened it)?

I see that now, it's become irrelevant which one we try to use, as .net is diverting to .com. You should have kept quiet to see if anyone noticed

EDIT
Quote from Victor :and we have a new one www.lfs.net

Oooh... So that's where our licence fees are going

DE
Quote from ORION :heh those 3 char short domains are kinda expensive I guess

not if the domain was not already registered. if it was not, it will cost as much as any other regular net-domain. it will of course be expensive when you try to buy an already-registered 3-char Domain from someone who has only the slightest idea of what the value of these domains is. Sort of trying to buy the domains de.vu or dl.am from their current owners
Quote from Victor :and we have a new one www.lfs.net

Woo hoo!!!

Eat that, Linux From Scratch, Libertarian Futurist Society, Log Structured File System, Liquid Fire Studios, League of Filipino Students etc. !!!

Mmmm...

forum.lfs.net
wiki.lfs.net
world.lfs.net
Quote from St4Lk3R :not if the domain was not already registered. if it was not, it will cost as much as any other regular net-domain. it will of course be expensive when you try to buy an already-registered 3-char Domain from someone who has only the slightest idea of what the value of these domains is. Sort of trying to buy the domains de.vu or dl.am from their current owners

yea, but all 3 char domains are already registered
#20 - joen
Quote from avellis :To tell you the truth, I was curious before as to why so many domain names exist.

They could all be together under a main secondary-level domain, making it perfectly clear (esp. for the newbies) that they are the official ones:

world.liveforspeed.net (or stats.)
forum.liveforspeed.net
manual.liveforspeed.net (or wiki.)

Not that it bothers me as it is now... :-)

the last two you mentioned are already like that. But they're not presented like that to the user, so I guess that's what you mean? I agree though in that case.
Quote from avellis :
forum.lfs.net
wiki.lfs.net
world.lfs.net

+ liveforspeed.net & .com for sure
so, when will you update your sig, Victor?
So you all want:

liveforspeed.net
lfsforum.net
lfsworld.net
liveforspeed.com
lfsforum.com
lfsworld.com

forum.lfs.com
wiki.lfs.com
world.lfs.com

forum.lfs.net
wiki.lfs.net
world.lfs.net

lfs.net
lfs.com

Why not but i think that the dev have other things to do that buying domain names all day long.

The fight between .net/.com, 3char/full length name, etc... become useless when you've bookmarked the url

Last thing: people don't like changes
My problem with .net is typing it in the address bar....

"lfsworld ctrl-readytohitenter.... crap, it's .net.... type .net, home-key, www., enter...."

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG