The online racing simulator
ArmA - Armed Assault
(40 posts, started )
ArmA - Armed Assault
Linkage

I was a big OFP fan in it's day and was thinking about buying this, it's newer brethren.
I've heard it's a system hog though, and don't want to spend $90AU on an army slide show.

I have:
AMD 3000+
Nvidia 6800GT (AGP)
1 Gb RAM

Does anyone know how it might run on my machine?
Looks good, but my PC isn't good enough.

Their's a demo floating about from quite recent, try it out. I had it but it ran so badly it was pointless.
Ive got an a64 3000+, 7900gt, 2gb ram, and it runs ok most of the time on med graphics. I think you might be able to run it on low detail lol.
This is one of the best games ive played, but it makes me want to upgrade.
It ran at about 5fps and the detail was so low down the grass looked like a green floor with yellowing bits in soft focus, it blended too much with the concrete which just so happened to look like a grey floor in soft focus.

But then again my system is of the following:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.5 ghz
ATI 9550
70 gb hard drive with only 10gig to spare.
512MB ram should 1024 but when my brother took a stick out to try in his PC it didn't get plugged in properly (not his fault, it's in a rediculously hard to reach place), so it's loose in there but I can't be arsed to plug it in properly.
Hmm. Low detail makes baby Jesus cry.
I might hold off until I get a new machine.
Quote from farcar :Linkage

I was a big OFP fan in it's day and was thinking about buying this, it's newer brethren.
I've heard it's a system hog though, and don't want to spend $90AU on an army slide show.

I have:
AMD 3000+
Nvidia 6800GT (AGP)
1 Gb RAM

Does anyone know how it might run on my machine?

AMD 3400+
nVidia 6600GT
1 Gb Ram

and it runs fine on my box!

(except when I turn into a seagull! (j/k!!!)
Quote from Bladerunner :

(except when I turn into a seagull! (j/k!!!)

That means you have a fake copy :o

It is a big machine eater, just turn down all the physical effects (including sound ambient)
Looks quite nice; although I'm not nearly good enough at FPS games to fork out $90 on a game I'll just get killed in repeatedly online. :P

It's pretty though lol
Its not really like other FPS games where you dive in and start killing, its very strategic
Sadly a great example of a game where developers have totally forgot what "optimization" means

And pretty amazing that the original OFP can still be a pretty huge system hog too. Add some DX10 effects to old already very badly optimized engine and you'll get what Arma currently is...
Quote from (-Mark-) :Its not really like other FPS games where you dive in and start killing, its very strategic

I have no concept of strategy in FPS games... I find it gets boring too quickly, I just wanna shoot my friends. UT2004 serves that purpose quite effectively
I played the demo. It feels good. Not running and jumping around like in many FPS games. (like BF2 is a lousy arcade shoot em up)

Didn't buy it yet, cause my machine needs serious upgrading (actually a whole new ride). I get 20-25fps in the coop demo with my 2.8GHz HT P4 and Radeon 9700.

At least in the demo there are some performance issues. Like the capture the island mode gradually eats all the juice out of you computer. It slowly gets slower and slower. After 1 hour my system has gone into a dia show. How fast this happens sounds to be system spec dependant (some can play it like 6 hours). The other modes work perfectly for me.
In games I expect to hate strategy, but then I always end up enjoying it.
I enjoy OFP even Counter Strike Source is good when played strategically.
I have the exact same system except that I have a 2800+, and it runs OK'ish around the 30fps mark.
Don't say "MY system needs upgrading" because it's the game that needs (or would have needed) better optimization.
Quote from mikey_G :I have the exact same system except that I have a 2800+, and it runs OK'ish around the 30fps mark.

Really? What LOD are you running?
No clue, I haven't touched the game in 2 months

ofp is still lightyears ahead of arma when it comes to playability
Wouldn't buy Armed Assault yet, right now it's still a beta and has some nasty bugs in it. I guess they will fix the game till the US release.

Performance is also poor, on a 8800gts I have to play at medium details to get framerates of 40 and above (and thats the minumum for a FPS)
I bought this and its great. Multiplayer is excellent. Ill admit there are bugs, and some are quite irritating. But what games don't have bugs on release these days? ( well LFS obviously, but thats it).

Before ArmA I was playing BF2, so Bohemia Interactives approach to bugs and its fixing of them is a breath of fresh air.

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view_all_bug_page.php

The above is a community bug tracking program where users can report bugs, vote on bugs and give help with fixing bugs. Also it is possible to see the change log for future patches, what has been fixed for the next patch etc.

I don't think all the criticism on the game's performance is entirely fair. Ill agree there can be some more optimization. But at the end of the day, this game will struggle at full details on even the most "uber" of recent pc technology. And Im fine with that, why do all games have to run at their full details on current hardware? I still cant run Operation Flashpoint at full details/view distance on my current PC (3500+ /7800GS /2gb) and that game was released in about 2001!! Its nice to have some games that you know where designed to last for longer than 1 year, before the developers decide its time to churn out another load of shite for the brainless masses to pad their greedy bank accounts....Electronic Arts 2142 comes to mind....

This game should run fine for you on Very low/ low settings. Even though its not the best, the demo is still a good indicator of how it will run. Once you get over the fact you cant run the game at full details the enjoyment begins.
ARMA Is a brilliant game and really does carry on the OFP Series nicely. Have had it for donkeys years. and even after a good 6 years OFP is still a great game to play.. and ARMA is even better. basically being OFP 2 (but due to licencing ect could not use that name...)

In answer to the origional poster. that will be perfectly fine. few members of my team have worse than that and dont have any problems. qulity on High for some of them. but normal will give you better loading times between the map ect.

ARMA and OFP are what LFS is to NFS. pure simulation and strategy
I have to disagree with Franky, i've seen it running on much higher spec machines than the OP, and it still runs like absolute garbage. so it would appear to be pretty hit and miss weather it will run well or not.

Damn shame though, as OFP it still the greatest FPS i've ever played. ArmA will be fantastic when it's optimised and the bugs are sorted.
Quote from The Moose :I have to disagree with Franky, i've seen it running on much higher spec machines than the OP, and it still runs like absolute garbage. so it would appear to be pretty hit and miss weather it will run well or not.

Damn shame though, as OFP it still the greatest FPS i've ever played. ArmA will be fantastic when it's optimised and the bugs are sorted.

the main 2 components really for OFP / ARMA is Graphics card and RAM rather than the CPU. all i know is that one of my team members runs no problems with a sempron 3100 + 1.5gb ram and a Geforce 7600 GS

it does need more optimisation i will agree and there are still bugs to be fixed. but from personal experience i dont see why some people have problems.. perhaps its more prone to problems on different manufacturers of equipment.
My system isn't all that powerful yet it runs great, no lag and decent fps running on:
2.8ghz dual core intel Viiv
2gb RAM
256mb Nvidia 7900gs

As the Moose said its basically luck of the draw wether it will run fine or not. But I can say it is the best FPS I have ever played. Simulation beats run and gun every time
Sounds like they are using the Test Drive Unlimited engine?
#25 - Jakg
Quote from franky500 :the main 2 components really for OFP / ARMA is Graphics card and RAM rather than the CPU. all i know is that one of my team members runs no problems with a sempron 3100 + 1.5gb ram and a Geforce 7600 GS

i tried it on my PC (3 GHz AMD, 1 GB super-high overclocked RAM (well, it was... ) and a 7950GT, i maxxed it and it held over 30fps, but it looked like UTTER garbage

ArmA - Armed Assault
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG