The online racing simulator
FPS Problem? Not sure...
(8 posts, started )
FPS Problem? Not sure...
Hi folks, I've been running lfs on a couple of computers since I play. The first one was crap, the second one was average and the one that I have now is technically good, but I wonder if things all are set the the correct things.

Here's the thing: I get about 50 fps max and 15 fps at the start of a 16 car race (in the back) with that configuration:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1024MB RAM DDR
NF4 PCIe socket 939 mobo
PowerColor ATI Radeon X700 series 256MB
Two hard disk, one 40gb and the other 80 (I think they both run 5200rpm)

So... it's not so bad. I've read a couple of thread in this forum where people say they have 40 fps all the time with 2.2 ghz computers and 128MB video cards.

I don't know... maybe my LFS options are set not OK, but I think it's pretty good. I know LFS requires a good CPU more than a good Vidcard, but I think athlon 64 3000+ isn't that bad... right?

Actually, the anti-aliasing settings are set to 2x performance.

Anyway... if you guys could just help me clear this out... I don't even know if it's a problem or if the computer can't do anything better than this.

Thanks, Boosterfire.
Those numbers sound very low to me for the hardware that you have. Try running the LFS Benchmark on both min and max settings and post your results. Make sure you follow the directions exactly to get proper results.

Once we have solid numbers to compare maybe we can figure out what the problem is.
Okay, done it... the results are pretty pathetic. Here they are:

Min: Frames: 4642 - Time: 103485ms - Avg: 44.856 - Min: 29 - Max: 61

Max: Frames: 1548 - Time: 103406ms - Avg: 14.970 - Min: 9 - Max: 23

It is crap, isn't it?
Yeah, that's horrible considering your specs. You should be getting around 45fps average on max settings, not min settings!

First thing to check: Under "Graphics" see if Hardware Vertex Shading is turned on. Turn it on if it's currently off. That alone could account for the problem.

If that doesn't work (or is already turned on) try unzipping LFS into a clean directory and do the benchmarks again (at least the max one). If the new install gets way faster frame rates, then we know something is wrong with your old install or your config files. If the frame rate from the new install is about the same it's probably not a problem with LFS and is likely a driver, background process, etc.

Rule out vertex shading and your install and we'll go from there.
I tried to install it another clean directory but it doesn't affect the fps. The vertex shading was already on. I'll try to look for a process or something. I upgraded to the lastest drivers, for the mobo and the gfx, but it stills the same.
-
(SladiVadi) DELETED by SladiVadi
There are already some Threads in this Forum concerning low FPS on fast Computers.
I have an 3000+, X800Pro, 1Gig Ram and getting 60FPS min. in a 15 car race.

Check out this thread: http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 1662&page=1&pp=30

And try other settings for AGP-Speed in your BIOS. And don't overclock your PC.

If anything helps, post the solution here. I'm sure there are more people who want to know this!
I cleaned up the old drivers, got new ones and I now get from 20 fps to 60. It's a bit better, but I think it could be even higher...
#8 - d6nn
i got the problem too, i disabled something named simple car or smthng and then my fps all of the sudden went from 40 to 110

FPS Problem? Not sure...
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG