The online racing simulator
FPS Problems
(20 posts, started )
FPS Problems
My Live For Speed runs at about 30 FPS on a good day. But recently, all the games I play seem to mess up. It goes down to lets say, 3 FPS every 2 minutes. It's really annoying, and it has never done this before. Here are my specs:

AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology.
MK36 (2.0 GHz, 512KB L2 cache)
ATI Radeon XPress 1100
120GB PATA HDD
1GB DDR2 (support dual-channel)

Also, I heard some others were running LFS at 100-200 FPS, how may I obtain this?
I was having similar problems on a similar laptop, do you have an acer? UPDATE THE DRIVERS AND BIOS RIGHT NOW! If you dont have an acer, UPDATE ANYWAYS! Always the best idea. With the acer drivers that came on my laptop, it was saying i had a 200m insted of the x1000, which is a step down, if a small one, and the performance is much better now, I can even get aa and af on it!
Hey, yeah I have an ACER Aspire 5101 =]

What do you mean by update? I can't afford any hardware updates, but what software updates can I get?
NO he means update your drivers, bois and other software updates that may be available at the acer website. Could help with the problems you are haveing. Also if you want the 250 fps you gonna have to get a better laptop that has a decent video card. LFS isn't even all that demanding, hell i got it running on my voodoo4 but that thing is ancient now. Anyway either purchase a desktop which is cheaper and has at least a 9800 pro which should give you 80 to 85 fps at max setting with AA and AF or keep struggling with fps issues. Your choice but you can find cheap parts to build an old computer that can run lfs like butter, and i mean spending no more than $350 buck on a system that should run lfs 10 times better than what you have now. Anyway just a suggestion.
Quote from stevewhite :I UPDATE THE DRIVERS AND BIOS RIGHT NOW!

If you dont have an acer, UPDATE ANYWAYS!

Whtghbfftvbf115!1 does it say about hardware..
Im on a laptop which I am constantly struggling to keep my fps above 20 fps on.
What is the best way to get the most for your money when buying a pc? Is it best to 'build' one yourself? Can anyone do that or do you have to know alot about computers to fit it all together?
I've been dreading blowing 1,000 bucks on a pc for years and years (because im cheap) but I might force myself to do it soon if I can find out some concrete information on the cheapest way to go about it. I also dont know about what kind of 'parts' to get. I don't need top of the line at all (I dont care about graphics, just need smooth gameplay) but I also dont want to buy something that I will have to spend 200 dollars on in 6 months in order to play the newest games at all. So I need to know what 'parts' have the best long term value. Anyone have any good info on this? I've been asking around occasionally on this for like a year now in various places but I tend to just get half assed responses which get me nowhere.
#8 - Jakg
building a PC is like building a lego model - its that hard

EDIT - I'm 15, and i've built several, did my first "with a little help" when i was 11
try right-clicking on your desktop.
go to: properties
left click the properties tab.
In the "Color quality" drop down, select "Medium (16 bit)"
click apply/ok to accept the settings.
try LFS and see what you get.

Framerate SHOULD be more stable and a little higher.
Every 2 minutes or so? Overheating and slowing the core down would be my suggestion, being an acer laptop.
Ah, well this acer was bought around Christmas of 2006, and it runs Windows Vista. What would be so much better?

Anyways, I'll check it out =]
Quote from Jakg :building a PC is like building a lego model - its that hard

EDIT - I'm 15, and i've built several, did my first "with a little help" when i was 11

thats the point.
u started early with that whole thing, so u learned a lot faster than "old" ppl.

im myself got my first pc with 22, so im pretty much still a newb.
Er, can someone find me the aspire 5101 Updates? I keep searching (and still are) searching for it and I can't find the updates you were talking about
Aha vista. I'd say theres your problem, I find also that with some games running in vista I get stutter every few minutes. I put it down to ram (1gb doesnt really cut it in vista), but im not sure. Try closing vista bits and pieces such as the sidebar, that uses a lot of cpu.

edit: building a pc is not something that comes naturally to people. People like us forget that the majority of the entire population that use computers know little or nothing about their workings. Not many people here I,d hope, but I know a fair few people that if I said is that picture a jpg or a bmp for exmaple, they wouldnt know. For them its a picture that loads in Windows picture viewer when clicked on. Therefore even comprehending how to build a pc is too much for them, and thats fine, I have no problems with that.

God how did I get so off topic.
1) Shut down ALL your non-vital background processes including software firewalls, antivir-programs, etc.

2) See if you can reproduce the strutter - if so, the problem lies somewhere else.

3) If the FPS strutter disappeared, you know it's in the background apps. Turn them back on one by one, testing LFS between each one - this way you'll find out which one steals your CPU capacity once in every two minutes.
Quote from pb32000 :Aha vista. I'd say theres your problem, I find also that with some games running in vista I get stutter every few minutes. I put it down to ram (1gb doesnt really cut it in vista), but im not sure. Try closing vista bits and pieces such as the sidebar, that uses a lot of cpu.

edit: building a pc is not something that comes naturally to people. People like us forget that the majority of the entire population that use computers know little or nothing about their workings. Not many people here I,d hope, but I know a fair few people that if I said is that picture a jpg or a bmp for exmaple, they wouldnt know. For them its a picture that loads in Windows picture viewer when clicked on. Therefore even comprehending how to build a pc is too much for them, and thats fine, I have no problems with that.

God how did I get so off topic.

1. I am not running vista, I am just Vista capable, please read more thoroughly
2. I used to open up my old desktop and make sure the disk drives were clean and whatnot, but that's about it for hardware. I am good with software though

Quote from frokki :1) Shut down ALL your non-vital background processes including software firewalls, antivir-programs, etc.

2) See if you can reproduce the strutter - if so, the problem lies somewhere else.

3) If the FPS strutter disappeared, you know it's in the background apps. Turn them back on one by one, testing LFS between each one - this way you'll find out which one steals your CPU capacity once in every two minutes.

What do you mean by strutter? Sorry .

Anyone find those Acer updates? My computer never used to be like this I ran Avast! and SUPERAntiSpyware and came up with nothing. Although, I have managed to run it fairly smoother, with less freeze ups, nearly none, except it freezes every time i get a pop-up (such as MSN) unlike how it used to be fine
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :1. I am not running vista, I am just Vista capable, please read more thoroughly
2. I used to open up my old desktop and make sure the disk drives were clean and whatnot, but that's about it for hardware. I am good with software though

Anyone find those Acer updates? My computer never used to be like this I ran Avast! and SUPERAntiSpyware and came up with nothing. Although, I have managed to run it fairly smoother, with less freeze ups, nearly none, except it freezes every time i get a pop-up (such as MSN) unlike how it used to be fine

i got a link for acer laptop updates, if you PM me i can send you the link (i got it on my other computer and im on my laptop right now not by my desktop)
Quote from KurtG85 :Im on a laptop which I am constantly struggling to keep my fps above 20 fps on.
What is the best way to get the most for your money when buying a pc? Is it best to 'build' one yourself? Can anyone do that or do you have to know alot about computers to fit it all together?
I've been dreading blowing 1,000 bucks on a pc for years and years (because im cheap) but I might force myself to do it soon if I can find out some concrete information on the cheapest way to go about it. I also dont know about what kind of 'parts' to get. I don't need top of the line at all (I dont care about graphics, just need smooth gameplay) but I also dont want to buy something that I will have to spend 200 dollars on in 6 months in order to play the newest games at all. So I need to know what 'parts' have the best long term value. Anyone have any good info on this? I've been asking around occasionally on this for like a year now in various places but I tend to just get half assed responses which get me nowhere.

I you need help choosing parts for a good computer PM me and I can put something quick together to give you an idea.

Also you can check out my Website (in my Sig) I got some systems there I put together that will give you an idea of what parts are god and so on (since I use quality brand name parts) also keep in mind those are Canadian Prices on my website so it would be cheaper when converted to American $$

Ciao
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :

Lack of FPS. I'm sorry for not being clear enough!

OT: @ bryanviper, sound effects on websites won't do any favours for business, it was more like a 90's thing
Quote from frokki :Lack of FPS. I'm sorry for not being clear enough!

OT: @ bryanviper, sound effects on websites won't do any favours for business, it was more like a 90's thing

Maybe music and such was the 90s but to have that little sound when you click the links is actually still being done. To tell you the truth everybody that has seen my site has only had positive comments to say.

So based on that I think they are fine there, I trust the judgment of my web design guy.

Thanks

FPS Problems
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG