The online racing simulator
Racing rig (multi-use)
(10 posts, started )
Racing rig (multi-use)
I'm planning to build a racing rig in the Summer but since I'll be buying a nice new PC for it I want to be able to use it for stuff other than racing. I was thinking of FPS games mainly.

Now, my question, has anyone created a rig that they use for racing AND for playing other games, specifically FPS games?

I was thinking of how to do it and I came up with the idea of having the keyboard on a swing mount thingy so I can just pull it round in front of me after I've detached my wheel. I could also have the mouse down on the right hand side since the shifter will be on the left.

Has anyone else got any different ideas?
Dont forget a wrist support for your KB, half hour floating your arm in mid air will kill it,
Good point on the arm in the air thing. The mouse will be fine since it feels natural to have your arm down by your side, as long as it isn't too low. I could mount the keyboard swinging thingy so it's quite near my lap.
#4 - Dru
Rig for racing

Desk for FPS
I've already explained, I'm buying a nice new PC for the rig so I would like to be able to play other games on it. I do not have the money or space to have a desk and another monitor sat next to it.
#6 - Dru
Quote from Leifde :I've already explained, I'm buying a nice new PC for the rig so I would like to be able to play other games on it. I do not have the money or space to have a desk and another monitor sat next to it.

Either get a swing arm rig for your monitor or keep your wheel on your desk..

you can not lay back in a racing rig chair and comfortably play with a key board and mouse, you need to be upright. The only reason the rig is comfortable is becasue you are laying back and are supportingyourself against the wheel, you can not do that with a keyboard and mouse.
How about you build a rig on the side of a desk. So when you want to race, you sit on the side of the desk. When you want to shot people, sit to the desk and move the monitor. If you set it up right, you could just have to turn the monitor. See pic. As you can tell, you paint skillz are amazing. You can see in the pic the basic idea. Chair for racing on the side of desk, with wheel and pedals, shifter. Then you just move to the other chair to pwn some n00bs.
Maybe yyou can pick something out of the pic.
Attached images
desk.JPG
Or a detachable rig. Something you can roll away from the front of your desk, and replace with another chair. have the chair setup with the wheel and whatever else you have on it, so when you move it, there is nothing racing left infront of your computer.
How about what I have? Here's a quick plan:
Attached images
Rig1.jpg
Rig2.jpg
That wouldn't be a bad idea. It's still a couple of months before I can start making it so plenty of time to think about it

Racing rig (multi-use)
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG