The online racing simulator
More virtual in-car goodness. RB4 on Aston Nat'l.
After I posted my first video, several people asked to see more footage. It took me a while, but I finally managed to get some more racing on tape and upload it. This time it's the RB4 on Aston National. This race was run yesterday on the STCC Silver & Gold server. As always, I'm running the G25, three pedals, h-shifter, and no driving aids - as you can tell when I try to find 6th gear in the RB4

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbCI7FB2E3U
That looks just great
what kind of screen is that?
wow! How did you make that?
#5 - herki
The only thing I don't like is the RB4
Looks nice. Would like to see more action in the race but still nice movie(s)
How do you project that on the wall, without getting your shadow on the image?

It's very nice. Would be sweet with at least widescreen or two projectors for more view at the sides.
Quote from squidhead :what kind of screen is that?

The screen is just a big sheet of semigloss, foam-core tagboard from office depot. It works fantastic and cost about $10. Since it's stiff and holds it shape, I didn't have to bother with making a frame or anything like that.

Quote from N I K I :wow! How did you make that?

I just used a MiniDV cam to capture video over my shoulder. The camera is placed approximately where your head would be if you were a back seat passenger sitting in the middle.

Quote from Hyperactive :Looks nice. Would like to see more action in the race but still nice movie(s)

Yeah. It was a little boring, but there were only like 8 of us on a track the size of Aston National. I had some good footage on South City, but the server was full of people crashing, and I wanted to get a clean race (this was not on the STCC server). Don't worry, I'll post up more videos as I get the time.

Quote from MillerM :How do you project that on the wall, without getting your shadow on the image?

It's really not a problem at all. The projector is mounted on the ceiling and shines over my head easily. I'm 6'2" and my shadow never interferes. See this link for more info on how to ceiling mount a projector. It's really quite simple.

Quote :It's very nice. Would be sweet with at least widescreen or two projectors for more view at the sides.

I've considered doing a two projector system, now that prices are falling. However; that adds a lot of complexity, wires, etc. I find that 16:9 mode is adequate most of the time. A second projector would only really be useful during close passes and on very tight hairpins.
#9 - kompa
That's a very cool setup you got! What resolution do you use? Can you read the chat messages easily?

Oh, is the lenght of the video (9:09) just a coincidence?
awesome!

Show us a version in a BF1 please!

the RB4 is too slow sometimes..
Quote from kompa :That's a very cool setup you got! What resolution do you use? Can you read the chat messages easily?

The resolution is 1280x720. Sitting so close, it looks fairly pixelated, but still very usable. Chat messages can be read very easily except for the fact that I have to make an effort to look up in the corner to see them. To be quite honest, I don't really watch the chat messages when I'm racing. I only look and respond when the race is over, unless someone hits me or something.

Quote :Oh, is the lenght of the video (9:09) just a coincidence?

I didn't even notice that. It's just a coincidence. The original video was ~13 minutes long. I had to cut two laps out of the middle since YouTube has a 10 minute time limit.

Quote from squad_e :Show us a version in a BF1 please!

I don't really drive the BF1. Ever. But I'll see what I can do. You might have to settle for the FZR or FOX instead.
Hey not bad though.POST MORE
yea MORE
That is a great setup, I would love to do that..

P.S, I thought you were wearing some sort of a helmet for a minute until you turned your head
Quote from skstibi :That is a great setup, I would love to do that..

P.S, I thought you were wearing some sort of a helmet for a minute until you turned your head

Where do you think my username came from?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG