#1 - CSU1
Ports, printers and help please.
This is going on the last three days and at this stage I am pulling my hair out with frustration.

Printer: HP C4180

The story is, after three monts I decided to set up my printer again as I only us it to print off the photos of the familly. There has been an OS re-install since the last time I used the printer so I put the bundled HP disk in the drive.

Chopp-chopp, ping pong; yep the CD was scratched so /me goes to HP site and d/l's the driver and the rest of the HP package because just installing the driver did not work at first attempt, or 12 attempt I've lost count now.

When I plug the printer into the usb port the scan and on-board storage feature of the printer are recognised(and function) ie. in My Computer the scan and removable disk icons show also in control panel/printers default printer does show but just after I turn it on or connect the printer windows wants to install the 'printer' function' of the printer.

Error message(pop-up baloon) "Windows cannot install" reason: unknown port?

Ok, click the "set print port manually" and it only gives me option to use a tcp/ip port type? Why on earth is that? I install on that port type on port number 91** and on next printer restart after the "new hardware found" error message: wrong parameters used?
It will not communicate with me whatsoever, neither from print test-page or from test in cmd prompt.AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGG! no

What on earth is going on?
#2 - t1ger
Hi,

Best I can do at the moment is provide this link to HPs support for this printer. At the bottom are several links for problems in Win XP. Have a read and see. None of them state your problem exactly, but it is worth trying it they look similar.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr ... oduct=1141647&lang=en

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is: do your USB ports show up in Device Manager correctly? Maybe the issue is with them and not the actual printer. Maybe is needs to be fully USB2.0 and yours are only running as USB1.x ports at the moment.

Also just found this on google, maybe worth a look at the links and the fix at the end. http://www.tek-tips.com/viewth ... fm?qid=1323454&page=3

Hope these help!

Tim

ps Remember: if its not broken, don't fix it - if it is broken, don't panic!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG