The online racing simulator
iRacing update
(63 posts, started )
#26 - JTbo
Quote from Linsen :Whatever that means. Personally, I think iracing is very promising. Not only because of Kaemmer, but also because of John Henry, principal owner of the Boston Red Sox (=money. A lot of it).

I do read between lines so that it is based to N2003 engine that has been polished and tweaked in same way N2003 was polished and tweaked GPL engine, how ever I can't tell amount of tweaking done or anything else, I will try demo for sure and it can be good as N2003 was not horrible bad I think? At least I did drive it a bit (I do go and test everything that say sim in it) and it had some good things, even cars were those not so nice Nascar things.
N2003 was my favorite game, now it's ruined!:arge:
Some basic logic is needed to understand that iRacing is just a GPL mod.

iRacing is a NR2003 mod, which is a GPL mod. Therefore, iRacing is a GPL mod. Or a GPL mod mod. If not, it uses most of the good but neolithic GPL code anyway.
#29 - axus
duke_toaster, sometimes you are pretty dumb. LFS S2 is an S1 mod LOL. ther4 S2 si teh suckeh. Some basic logic is needed to understand that.

Have you ever done any coding? I'd guess not... re-using old, good code is always a good thing, just throw the garbage away. And even you have, judging by your age, your style is probably far from half-decent so with every program you write, your style gets better. When you see a better way of doing something, obviously you'd want to throw the old stuff away. But the guys that coded GPL and NR2003 already had well developed styles the first time so now, updating their code is a smooth and easy process.

Your definition of mod is also pathetic because mod implies that the physics model hasn't changed and in this case it has. I guess it's you that fails at logic.

Quote from duke_toaster :LFS also has created a virtual wind tunnel that precisely calculates air flow and aerodynamic forces through any possible combination of yaw, pitch, roll and ride height — all in the pursuit of lifelike driving dynamics.

[I removed the bit about the tyre model because that's pretty much true]

Far from it. What the iRacing guys are implying is that they test every car in a virtual wind tunnel (ie. Computational Fluid Dynamics are used to calculate air velocity and pressure and temperature and density and whole bunch of other factors for very small blocks of space, allowing an accurate calculation of coefficient of drag). That can't be done anywhere near real time. So this data is then used to either drive a table-driven model (similar to ISI except with real quantities and data) or a mathematical model.

On the other hand, LFS takes a physics approach but this kind of physics can only be so accurate in real time so it's merely flat plate calculations for the wings and a drag coefficient and air velocity (based on car velocity and wind) and density (based on slipstream) calculation for the drag of the body and wings. The body doesn't produce any lift or downforce in LFS, nor does the diffuser and ground effect is not taken into account. Yaw changes are also inaccurately modeled, it's just a different angle of attack for the flat plate calculations for the wings, I'd guess. Pitch changes are modeled.

For all your smooth typing, you'd best learn that you don't know everything - actually your knowledge is a minuscule portion of the combined knowledge of the world (same goes for just about everybody) and you should therefore tone down your language because it's not appropriate when you don't know much on the subject. I know, because I've been through that stage.
Quote from duke_toaster :Some basic logic is needed to understand that iRacing is just a GPL mod.

iRacing is a NR2003 mod, which is a GPL mod. Therefore, iRacing is a GPL mod. Or a GPL mod mod. If not, it uses most of the good but neolithic GPL code anyway.

For christs sake, you told that 4 times this thread. One time is enough.

You arent interested in it? FINE, dont let the door hit you on the way out.

I, and several others, ARE interested in this project. So just start an other thread to bash iRacing, let this one for discussion about it.

Axus earns a cookie for post of the day.
#31 - JTbo
Even it would be so called "GPL mod" it does not mean automatically it would be bad, depends how much they mod it of course
Funny... so for example Half-Life 2 is Quake mod?
Everything is a pong mod.
Right on

Quote from X-Ter :I can't believe you seriously consider supporting a company that fracked over an entire modding community? Ok, so they changed their name from First to iRacing, but that doesn't fool anyone. Or does it?

Heh heh, "fracked". Battlestar FTW.

If iRacing's good and satisfies me it'll stay on my HD and if it's not it'll go the way of RfAct0R - just like any other game, more or less regardless of who made it and what else they've done. I don't give two shits about ancient history. And all this rubbish about it essentially being a GPL mod is laughable - do people really think Dave Kaemmer hasn't progressed in the last decade? Is anyone naive enough to think he would just recycle old GPL code without even updating it? Hypothetically, even if he did, it wouldn't be a bad starting point. GPL still holds it own against much newer racing games and the GPL modding community has shown repeatedly that many of the well-known flaws or limits in GPL's code can be fixed, vastly improved or overcome (tyre model, slipstream distances, max. track length etc.) and they've even shown that brand new features can be added, like adjustable downforce. Obviously DK would know that code better than anyone and using it as "square one" wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing ...
This reminds me... I can't find GPL anywhere. If someone could help me, please give me a PM. aka free download
#36 - Goop
looking forward to this one

wheel4hummer, your PMs are off, check your yahoo.
iRacing is Pong mod. Genius
Oh noes! They mentioned GPL again. Well, d'oh!

*starts GPL*

#39 - JTbo
Quote from dontsimon :iRacing is Pong mod. Genius

But so is LFS too

I find it amusing how some really think that it would be bad thing, statement really does not say if that would be bad or good, statement only brings up where origins of product are. Surely they can make it so that it is completely new product, but usually when using something old as base there is style of old and some things that are carried from old to new, some good and some can be bad, but not necessarily.

I think it is just good to keep in mind history of product and then evaluate final product with that in mind, have they take shortcuts, is there some old flaws at present, helps really to evaluate how good end product really is.

If we think about rFactor that is developed originally from SCGT and then EA F1 sims, we can see how there is big part of product that still is same as many years ago, some principles that can be argued are carried from old product to new one, so they have taken shortcuts for sure.

Surely I'm looking forward of it, also I like to keep in mind where it comes from and absolutely I'm going to compare it to old too

So it is not bashing iracing, imo.
I received a news letter:

Quote from iRacing :Dear Fellow Racer:

As much as I would prefer to avoid the cliché, a picture is worth a thousand words. This week, we let the iRacing.com simulation speak for itself. We hope you enjoy this image of Legends Cars in action at Irwindale (Calif.) Speedway.

If you would like to download a wallpaper version of this image, please click on the appropriate link at right or just visit www.iRacing.com.

As always, best of luck in your upcoming racing endeavors.

Regards,

Scott A. McKee
Vice President, Marketing
iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations

Here's the wallpaper.
I think I'm gonna be sick... :vomit:
That new screenshot looks very good, almost photoreal, yet at the same time it's got a very obvious Papyrus look and feel about it. Of all the sims currently in the pipeline, iRacing seems to me to hold the most potential to be the bridge into the next generation of racing games.
Quote from bbman :I think I'm gonna be sick... :vomit:

Really? What's so bad about that? The track texture is really nice and the cars look decent IMO.
Helmets floating in the air, tire textures ugly as hell, cars look like they've been cut out and pasted into the picture, wrong shadows all over the place, some fake environment mapping even LfS did better and so on... The whole picture screams "cheap fake" to me... About the only thing that's good about the picture is the track textures and the models...
Quote from bbman :Helmets floating in the air, tire textures ugly as hell, cars look like they've been cut out and pasted into the picture, wrong shadows all over the place, some fake environment mapping even LfS did better and so on... The whole picture screams "cheap fake" to me... About the only thing that's good about the picture is the track textures and the models...

C'mon, i almost thought it's the real thing... Maybe just the tires look bad, everything else is just fantastic... Look at the tarmac, can it get more real looking on a PC?
Well I wish the tyres on Lfs would at least look like these...
It's by no means a perfect screenie, the shadows indeed look weird in places and the helmets don't "fit" somehow. Not dark enough I think. The burgandy car at the back really shows it up. The track itself does look gorgeous though.

Great graphics don't make a game though, a video would be better. Still, better than nothing.
Quote from Boris Lozac :C'mon, i almost thought it's the real thing...

Only if you look at it with your eyes closed... And for something I apparently would have to pay a good amount of money every month or so, I have to say I'm not impressed, I even expect way more than that...

Somehow I can't shake the feeling that developers stopped looking at photos to recreate something RL-like long ago... It's just about using trillions of the newest, fanciest 1337-shaderzzz... I know, I might be picky, but it's the details that make or break everything...
Quote from bbman :Only if you look at it with your eyes closed... And for something I apparently would have to pay a good amount of money every month or so, I have to say I'm not impressed, I even expect way more than that...

Somehow I can't shake the feeling that developers stopped looking at photos to recreate something RL-like long ago... It's just about using trillions of the newest, fanciest 1337-shaderzzz... I know, I might be picky, but it's the details that make or break everything...

I really couldn't tell for a good half a minute or so, if that was the real life photo or ingame..
Yes, tires and helmets are odd, but saying cars look cut and pasted is just.. i don't know, really, that pic is the most real looking in game picture i have ever seen, and not just in simulation games...

iRacing update
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG