The online racing simulator
You are still tricking your mind into beliving the image it is seeing is actualy 3d, all it is doing is sending one flat image to one eye and another to the other eye. The image from your monitor is still flat, it just renders two different angles and shows one to one eye and the other to the other eye.

So it still isn't truly 3d.

It's also a very cheap trick that doesn't work to well for some people.
After reading some reviews, I'm not sure I'd want one.

Then again, it might be realy cool if it works for me.

Edit: @ Redquad

I already know how the eyes pick up an image, if you hadn't got that from the way I described the system.

Edit2:

For motion blur to work correctly you need the rendering system to "bleed" the pixels in the direction of the blur. If you can anti-alias you can get a good blur, it just uses to much processing power to do at the moment.
when i saw "Must Read" in the title, my gut told me not to, and i tried to resist. now i wish i had tried harder.

Quote from evilgeek :when i saw "Must Read" in the title, my gut told me not to, and i tried to resist. now i wish i had tried harder.

If it looks bad to you, It's the difference in monitor settings.

Edit: why'd you even bother posting if you have nothing to add?
Quote from DragonCommando :The image from your monitor is still flat

it doesnt matter at all as the image youre eyes capture is flat as well
there is 0 difference in the image on your retina in a true 3d world and with imax or other 3d systems (assuming your glasses are perfectly aligned to the filters on the projector ... but the slight missalignments you get irl arent really worth mentioning)
Who is to say the 'real world' is any more 3D than the one 'in' your monitor? You see both in the same way ultimately.

Sure you can 'touch and feel' the 3Dness of the real world, but who is to say in a few years we won't be able to do the same with a virtual world? Which one, then, is a 'true' 3D world/image?
Quote from tristancliffe :Sure you can 'touch and feel' the 3Dness of the real world

actually it goes deeper than that ... you cant as what you feel is an electric field ... something which isnt actually there in the human understanding of matter
Quote from tristancliffe :Who is to say the 'real world' is any more 3D than the one 'in' your monitor? You see both in the same way ultimately.

Without turning this into a philosophically vacuous "what is real?" type thing, no you don't.

What you see on a monitor is two dimensional. The monitor itself is palpably different - you can walk around it and see its back, you can see its sides. The image on the screen has none of these extra attributes.

If I move my head, what I see of the monitor changes, but the image on the monitor does not necessarily change in the same way. The image may be skewed a little, but it will reveal nothing more than it did before I moved my head.
Quote from Shotglass :it doesnt matter at all as the image youre eyes capture is flat as well
there is 0 difference in the image on your retina in a true 3d world and with imax or other 3d systems (assuming your glasses are perfectly aligned to the filters on the projector ... but the slight missalignments you get irl arent really worth mentioning)

I know, thats what I'm trying to make clear.

all the system does is trick your brain into thinking you have one perspective per eye coming from the monitor, your brain then does it's job.
Turning the two images into one.

It's still not true 3d because the world you look at is actualy 3d, but on the monitor it is still just two flat images.
Quote from DragonCommando :You are still tricking your mind into beliving the image it is seeing is actualy 3d, all it is doing is sending one flat image to one eye and another to the other eye. The image from your monitor is still flat, it just renders two different angles and shows one to one eye and the other to the other eye.

So it still isn't truly 3d.

Obviously you didn't get the point..

Take a look @ your hand.
The images that are projected onto your retinae are flat!
Your eyes are just capable of sensing flat images.
Your eyes can't see 3D pictures.
3D perception is presented to your mind by certain brain structures not by your eyes.
Your mind "see's" what your brain show's it.

Quote from DragonCommando :I know, thats what I'm trying to make clear.

all the system does is trick your brain into thinking you have one perspective per eye coming from the monitor, your brain then does it's job.
Turning the two images into one.

It's still not true 3d because the world you look at is actualy 3d, but on the monitor it is still just two flat images.

Every second of your life your brain is "tricked" into thinking that you have one perspective for each eye....

Quote from nihil :
If I move my head, what I see of the monitor changes, but the image on the monitor does not necessarily change in the same way. The image may be skewed a little, but it will reveal nothing more than it did before I moved my head.

Well put 2 little display's infront of each eye, use a driver that renders 2 different perspectives, use a Track IR like system and there you go!
Quote from DragonCommando :If it looks bad to you, It's the difference in monitor settings.

Edit: why'd you even bother posting if you have nothing to add?

do i have to spell it out?

ok. here is my addition:

don't label your thread "must read" unless it's actually important, and no, cranking the hell out of your colour settings and making them look stupid isn't important.

is that better?
I still think you'r not getting what I'm saying, The real world is 3d, no matter what each eye sees it as.

your monitor image is FLAT no matter what each of your eyes see.

You can not get the same depth with an imageing trick as you can with the real world.

If you had the glasses you'd see it, some things still seem flat, they just look layered with gaps in between, thats all.

I don't have them, but I' heard alot about them. Don't get me wrong they work, but they still can't give you that true 3d realisim that you experiance every day. No matter the detail of the game, it's still rendered as a flat image.

Quote from evilgeek :do i have to spell it out?

ok. here is my addition:

don't label your thread "must read" unless it's actually important, and no, cranking the hell out of your colour settings and making them look stupid isn't important.

is that better?

Well, someone's been having a bad day, damn.

And to some people it is, if it wasn't there'd be no posts here.
(thats includeing the posts like "that isn't HDR", which is kind of the point since it's supposed to fake it)
Quote from DragonCommando :Well, someone's been having a bad day, damn.

And to some people it is, if it wasn't there'd be no posts here.
(thats includeing the posts like "that isn't HDR", which is kind of the point since it's supposed to fake it)

if you want to waste your time trying to make your graphics card do things it can't, that's fine. my point, which you are still clearly missing (along with some other people's points), is that this is not "must read" material by a long shot.
Quote from DragonCommando :I still think you'r not getting what I'm saying, The real world is 3d, no matter what each eye sees it as.

You can not get the same depth with an imageing trick as you can with the real world.

If you had the glasses you'd see it, some things still seem flat, they just look layered with gaps in between, thats all.

I don't have them, but I' heard alot about them. Don't get me wrong they work, but they still can't give you that true 3d realisim that you experiance every day. No matter the detail of the game, it's still rendered as a flat image.

First of all: You are wrong, I am right.
This is because you got an opinion about that topic and I have profound knowledge.

If you take a look around in the REAL WORLD EACH EYE JUST SEE'S FLAT IMAGES. Period.
Quote from RedQuad :

If you take a look around in the REAL WORLD EACH EYE JUST SEE'S FLAT IMAGES. Period.

Perception is a rather different and more involved process than just the mechanics of seeing.
Quote from RedQuad :First of all: You are wrong, I am right.
This is because you got an opinion about that topic and I have profound knowledge.

I DID NOT dispute that, what I am saying is that the image on your monitor is still FLAT. however the world is NOT flat, no matter how your eyes see it, and because of this you can't get a true three dimentional
image from your monitor.

Just think about how it works, sure it looks 3d but it isn't
The only way I can think to describe this is, stand at a corner, if you reach out, your eyes when working together can see that the walls leading away from the corner are progressively farther away from you, on a monitor image they arn't but your mind percives them as such because the images your eyes are sending it tell it that the corner is pressent.
But that doesn't change the fact that the corner isn't there, it's still flat on the screen.

If the world was the same way the glasses worked it would look like a video game when you shut one eye, it doesn't because the world is 3d, the monitor's screen doesnt change shape to make up the objects so it is still a perspective trick.

Edit: and I don't care if you are the smartest person on earth.
Quote from nihil :Perception is a rather different and more involved process than just the mechanics of seeing.

The mechanics of stereoscopic seeing is the based on 2D perceptions.
You don't want to start argueing with me about neuronal integration of these information.
Now lets get back on topic, shall we?

I played with the settings a bit more, and I'v found that I'v managed to limit the clipping to a very minor amount and still get the nice contrast, it actualy looks like an HDR photo rendered to
8bit.
Quote from DragonCommando :
If the world was the same way the glasses worked it would look like a video game when you shut one eye, it doesn't because the world is 3d, the monitor's screen doesnt change shape to make up the objects so it is still a perspective trick.

Edit: and I don't care if you are the smartest person on earth.

Well I am not that smart, but I am smarter than you when it comes to the human body.

In fact if you shut one eye you loose your ability of stereoscopical depth perception.

That's the reason why some animals have their eyes in the front of their faces. Because they need to guess distances.
Quote from RedQuad :Well I am not that smart, but I am smarter than you when it comes to the human body.

In fact if you shut one eye you loose your ability of stereoscopical depth perception.

That's the reason why some animals have their eyes in the front of their faces. Because they need to guess distances.

You completely missed the point, the image does loose depth when you shut one eye, I didn't say otherwhise, but it still doesn't look like an image, it still has some sence of dimension, more than a computer screen does. This dimension is needed to give a true 3d image. Basicaly you need to actualy create the world for it to be truly 3d.

Animals that have there eyes on the side of there heads don't have any less depth perception than you or I, they have there eyes there so they can see more around them. When they look at something they still see the dimension AND depth of it.

I realize you've taken classes, but that doesn't mean you know more about creating a 3d perspective from a screen.

I'v worked with sterioscopic imaging before.
Quote from RedQuad :The mechanics of stereoscopic seeing is the based on 2D perceptions.
You don't want to start argueing with me about neuronal integration of these information.

I don't? Well, that's true, because I have no argument with your bluffers guide to stereoscopic imaging, but you seem smug enough to be worth baiting for a while...

My problem was really with Tristan's suggestion that image and reality are equivalent to the degree that it makes no difference. I agree that:

Quote :2 little display's infront of each eye, etc

is a workable way of reproducing the way we see, at the same time, this doesn't make image and reality interchangeable.

It is still a framed 'image', except now the framing device becomes the limited amount of information that the image can contain. While, theoretically, the real world is finite in its content too, it will be a long, long time before any mechanical image is able to replicate the resolution of reality.
Quote from nihil :
is a workable way of (1)reproducing the way we see, at the same time, this doesn't make image and reality interchangeable.

It is still a framed 'image', except now the (2) framing device becomes the limited amount of information that the image can contain. While, theoretically, the real world is finite in its content too, it will be a long, long time before any mechanical image is able to replicate the resolution of reality.

(1)You are not reproducing the way you see, you are feeding your brain with an adequate stimulus for depth perception.

(2)You have to distinguish 3D perception and the level of detail of an image.
Quote from DragonCommando :I still think you'r not getting what I'm saying, The real world is 3d, no matter what each eye sees it as.

FYI I have a 3D projection system and I can honestly say that the 3D is EXACTLY the same as real life 3D. The only difference is the graphical quality and the resolution. There is no sense of being infront of a 2D screen whatsoever. The dashboard is right behind my wheel and the next bend is 300 meters away through a wide bright hole in my living room.
Quote from RedQuad :(1)You are not reproducing the way you see, you are feeding your brain with an adequate stimulus for depth perception.

(2)You have to distinguish 3D perception and the level of detail of an image.

1) Agreed - my bad wording, you and I both know that seeing is not the same as perception

2) Don't make me repeat myself.... Oh, ok, you're going to make me repeat myself.... I have no argument with your outline of depth perception, but with the idea that image and reality are interchangeable.
Quote from DragonCommando :You completely missed the point, the image does loose depth when you shut one eye, I didn't say otherwhise, but it still doesn't look like an image, it still has some sence of dimension

only if you do it in an environment you previously know in 3d

Quote :Animals that have there eyes on the side of there heads don't have any less depth perception than you or I, they have there eyes there so they can see more around them. When they look at something they still see the dimension AND depth of it.

thats simply wrong
if animals with eyes to the sides were able to see the world in 3d predators would not have the eyes in the front thus limiting their fov

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG