The online racing simulator
New patch - new sound - where's my slide sound?
Oh no! Nice new engine sound in the latest patch ... but: Where's my slide sound? I'm talking about the FZR here, haven't tried other cars yet...

Before it was really dominant and I rely heavily on it to determine my grip levels, aggressiveness in corner, tire usage on "attack laps" or "cruise laps".

After installing the patch even downngrading engine boost to zero and slide boost to one I still can only hear me slide when completely losing it. Often even locked brakes can't be heard, I can only determine that I locked up if I have time to look in the mirror and see the smoke.

This is really hurting my performance - anyone have the same problem?

Can I uninstall the patch?
Can I get the old sounds back?
Is the FZR the only car with this problem now or is this a global setting?
Anyone else feeling (hearing) the same?

What to do?

Man, and I just got into a nice and fairly quick race rythm, also entered into the 1:41.20s on AS Natrional, new pb, heheheh ... but I'm not going to repeat it with this lack of slide sound

I want my tires to squeaaaal! Well, at least I want to hear whether they are or not!!

Thanks for any pointers!

aceracer
Aun no pruebo el fzr pero si es asi andare en el 1:45 xD
Do you have version W? The sliding sound was made a bit louder in it compared to patch V.
Just downloaded and will test now, thanks gee See you on the track!
#5 - kompa
Quote from aceracer :Before it was really dominant and I rely heavily on it to determine my grip levels, aggressiveness in corner, tire usage on "attack laps" or "cruise laps".
...I can only determine that I locked up if I have time to look in the mirror and see the smoke.

This is really hurting my performance...

...but I'm not going to repeat it with this lack of slide sound

I want my tires to squeaaaal! Well, at least I want to hear whether they are or not!!

I really hope guys like these would have to learn to drive according to ALL of the clues LFS gives you, not just the tire sounds. In S2 final. I think that's cheating in a way but Scawen allows it.
Like many other things in LFS ATM.
I use all the cues, you don't get low 41s on AS national if you don't. However tire noise is one of them. I've used tire noise since Geoff Crammonds GP1 15 years ago. Real cars also offer tire noise, it¡s not cheating, that's ridiculous, it's using what the game (and what the real world) gives you.

I think this has been the most absurdest form of accusation of being a cheater I have ever heard.

aceracer
#7 - kompa
in my world of simulation:

cheating = hearing the tires scrub whenever they lose a little traction

not cheating = hearing them squeal when driven hard - you shouldn't hear them make any noise in the open wheelers. Maybe a little in certain situations (spinning while the engine is idling?). Dunno about the GTR cars, I don't drive them.

If I'm wrong, please correct me with facts. Opinions are fun too!
I don't get it... how changing audio settings in the ingame audio options is cheating?
i agree with deggis, it may be easier (personally i find it annoying) having your tyres scrub level much louder than anything else, but it certainly doesnt give you an advantage. Its more a case of personal preferance. If it was deemed as cheating im pretty sure it wouldnt be in the game.
cheating in my world of simulation. when you can hear every bit of information the tires can give you, mega loud, you have an advantage over a player who focuses on realism. again, this is something Scawen seems to allow so no problem, I guess.
#11 - JTbo
Quote from kompa :cheating in my world of simulation. when you can hear every bit of information the tires can give you, mega loud, you have an advantage over a player who focuses on realism. again, this is something Scawen seems to allow so no problem, I guess.

And when you have different audio system it again sounds different, you hear it quieter or stronger, can't say that to be cheating do we?
Quote from kompa :cheating = hearing the tires scrub whenever they lose a little traction

not cheating = hearing them squeal when driven hard...

If I'm wrong, please correct me with facts. Opinions are fun too!

I personally get tired of hearing using tyre sounds is cheating, using wheel view is cheating, using 270 deg wheel is cheating etc etc

Firstly LFS is not marketed to just one group of people it satisfies a broad group of motoring enthusiasts And consequently there is a broad variation in expectation of what is right and what isn't So NO one is 100% right or wrong in any argument about LFS and what it should or shouldn't be...

Now for me I'm a big fan of tyre scrub sounds and custom wheels view How dare I come out and say that huh

To me realism is not about aesthetics and what is 100% replicated from real life (i.e. sounds and graphics etc), because following that path can never be real Sure it helps immersion to some degree but it takes away in a larger degree because you wouldn't feel AS connected to the car.

I personally see the skid sounds as a POOR replacement to the seatofpantsOmonitor and the unrealistic view that I use to go some way to, although not enough, making up for lack of field of view and the sense of depth that you do have in real life

Imo by your arguments driving a real car must be cheating as you get sensory feedback and are viewing a 3D environment
#13 - JTbo
But power steering is cheating IRL too
Jtbo is right of course, I hear ppl begging for more turbo noise when I can hear it very very well. Of course the tire sounds help only when you concentrate on making the fastest lap possible, it's no advantage when you're close racing with someone. I guess.

Still people RELY on the tire sounds, which is quite a distortion from a whole sim experience.

Yeah Glenn, I hear you...maybe I should just buy nkp and suffer the consequences!

e: i guess all I'd need is to see purism and LFS integrate somehow...maybe Scawen will give us options on every little detail for leagues and such. far cry.
Quote from kompa :Still people RELY on the tire sounds, which is quite a distortion from a whole sim experience.

See that is what I don't get Obviously there is alot of defferent views of what is a SIM...

To me some aids actually add to the sim experience and bring it closer to reality in regard to the humble PC's shortcomings I personally think LFS is going in the right direction... but maybe there will be an utra hard core mode included later on to keep you guys happy

btw I just drive road cars in LFS, so my views are based on that
#16 - JTbo
I drive mostly street cars, you hear tires screaming long before limit IRL and so it should be in sim too.

Full hardcore mode would be nice, well pit and setup times should be not as long as they are IRL, but would be nice if everything else could be just like IRL. However specially with sounds it is not possible as you should get precisely same audio equipment as maker of sim has to get same sound and still there would be differences as size of room, materials etc. are affecting sound.

So in practise we need to make compromises and there need to be more adjustability so you can adjust things unrealistic manner, but that can't be helped, certainly those are not giving anyone unfair advantage so it is bit same like saying red car is faster than green car.

Only steering wheel is giving advantage as you can catch virtually any slide with wheel that turns less than one turn, but I would say that it is not really big advantage as you will also get into slides lot easier.
Well I just get frustrated on how easy it is for anyone to pick up this sim and go offline for a few days/weeks and then drive online like an idiot on a (usually)fwd car and be as close to the lap times achieved by using settings/setups that actually represent reality. I need real simulation, in S2 final. I´ll stand up to all the crap untill then. Just a drunk rant, nothing more. Keep developing.
#18 - JTbo
Quote from kompa :Well I just get frustrated on how easy it is for anyone to pick up this sim and go offline for a few days/weeks and then drive online like an idiot on a (usually)fwd car and be as close to the lap times achieved by using settings/setups that actually represent reality. I need real simulation, in S2 final. I´ll stand up to all the crap untill then. Just a drunk rant, nothing more. Keep developing.

You should not drink and post, it never ends well, specially when you look board next day

Maybe what you describe is more of tire model issue than issue with tire sounds, but as you say they need to keep developing, surely final is going to be better, getting there peace by peace. Drink few glasses of water before going to bed so morning is bit easier
These issues do not relate to the tire model at all. This is something that makes LFS a cartoon ATM. And it's not going to be easy for Scawen to solve, that I'm sure of. Well, good night y'all!

And I'm NOT going to read this thread tomorrow!
Like jtbo said, the tyre sound volume is more like personal preference. But I can see your point... in the perfect world everyone would have G25's, every would USE clutch & shifter and no one would use extremely stupid setups in hotlaps.

I also use DaveWS tyre sounds, sounds more realistic and not like elephant.
Hey I'm a simmer and have been for the last 15 years, I have just about every driving game there is and about 6 different wheels in my cupboard.

I drive drive competitive times in F1 sims. I race competitively in GT sims. I catch slides in Richard Burns Rally.

I'm not the fastest, never will be, but I'm decent. And you know what:

I wouldn't have a hope in hell doing that in a real car. I wouldn't catch a single slide in a WRC Subaru, I would be 30 secs of the pace in an F1 car (if I could get it out of the pitlane) and I wouldn't even know what to do with a GTR car.

So all this superhardcore sim argument is somewhat misleading. As much sim and as much hardcore and as much realistic as it gets: It still has nothing to do with real life. Nowhere near.

So, if I actually listen to the tire noise, which I can also in a real car, I'm not cheating, I'm not less "sim" or whatever. It's a completely pointless argument. I'm sitting in an office in front of my PC with a plastic wheel ... I think sometimes people forget that when talking about realism:

No matter how "realistic" you think you have it, it's still absolutely nothing to do with real life.

Just got off Conedodgers. Caught a spin at 175 mph and drifted through the entire turn in 4th ... I would have killed myself had that happened to me in a real car ... so let's go easy on what is "real" and what not.

aceracer
tbh, aceracer just asked some simple questions at his fisrt post. I really don't understand the way this thread end up

So to go back on the first post again

Quote :
Can I uninstall the patch?
Can I get the old sounds back?
Is the FZR the only car with this problem now or is this a global setting?
Anyone else feeling (hearing) the same?

You can go back to the compatible V version, but there's no need for it. You can have the old sounds back. Have a look here http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=21896

Download these sounds, put them to your LFS/data/eng folder. During the game press shift-a to load the sound editor to choose the sound you like for the FZR, or press the PACK button at the top and type PatchV to the new window to load the whole old soundpack for all cars.
Thanks for that KM

Actually I noticed that on my stereo it's a lot better than with the headphones. The headphones seem to distort more so the tire screech loses presence. On the stereo I can here it a lot better and it works just fine.

I guess from now on you'll be able to tell what sound system I use by looking at my laptimes, lol.

Actually after more than 3000 laps on the combo I know when I'm on the limit in any case, even when playing without any sound at all. It's almost like sleepwalking ... or sleepdriving

Still, the sound is a nice indicator when you lose your concentration a little, it's a nice wakeup call

Cheers

aceracer
#25 - JTbo
Quote from aceracer :
Still, the sound is a nice indicator when you lose your concentration a little, it's a nice wakeup call

That is true, sometimes can get caught with surprise when I notice that I was not paying enough attention to driving, happens mostly on tracks with long straights

Hardly ever you can get nice real life comparable sim racing experience as you have tiny window to sim world, cheap small plastic wheel won't help it either and finally that office chair is going to ruin lot from illusion.

With some VR glasses and motion simulator there might be bit better chances already, making FFB wheel that has real amount of turns should help too to get it where catching slide needs bit more skill.

But surely LFS needs few updates to get it bit more dangerous to drive at near limit, but I believe passion for more realism is that keeps myself wanting full realistic damage model and car behaviour, maybe some day I will have also all gadgets what are needed to get most from experience.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG